Radimus
07-31-2004, 08:14 PM
I don't know if this is news here, but:

http://www.attwireless.com/personal/features/mmode/plans.jhtml

$7.99 1MB $.01 per kilobyte over 1MB
$12.99 4MB $.008 per kilobyte over 4MB
$19.99 8MB $.006 per kilobyte over 8MB
$24.99 Unlimited ***

*** Unlimited referes only to usage on your device. Connection to another device or computer via cable, Bluetooth, or infared will be charged $.001 per KB.

mscdex
07-31-2004, 09:37 PM
I guess that's ok as long as you use AT&T wireless and have a phone that can take advantage of these rates.

And as it says, you can only use it unlimited for 24.99/month if you use the service on your phone. If you hook your phone up to your pocketpc or laptop, you have to pay an ADDITIONAL $0.001 per KB.

So for someone that doesn't already have a cell phone, it seems kind of enticing, but you'd be locked into a contract and a special phone and on top of the monthly charge you'd have an additional $0.001 per KB.

Now if they had a plan where it was just $0.001 per KB with no monthly fee, i'd be all over that :D. But until then....

Radimus
07-31-2004, 10:52 PM
In my case I already have a Nokia 3650 w/ bluetooth, and I just bought a iPAQ 5455 off ebay for $250.

After about 3 minutes of googling I found the instructions for configuring the iPQA to use the nokia as a GPRS 'modem'. (Set the dial number to *99# )

now I have to determine how much AT&T is going to screw me for...

I Wish I was back on t-mobile... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Brad Adrian
08-01-2004, 03:06 AM
I know that the phone companies are working hard to figure out just how they should be pricing their data services, but I still think they're not getting it quite right. At least in the US, I think they need to be focusing on driving the use of data services in general. I think they should make unlimited use as affordable as possible and stop all the "nickel and diming." I think $20 for unlimited use should be the most they should charge.