View Full Version : Subscribe Immediately! You'll be Glad you did.

surur
07-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Ive been a subscriber since PPCThoughts started doing it a year ago. My subscription expired today, and when I tried to renew it, the credit card service had a problem with my debit card.

I've therefore just became a normal user, and I must say, I hate it! The default PPCThoughts screen is a nightmare, with flashing intrusive adverts everywhere!. Its enough to trigger an epileptic seizure. I especially hate the GoToMyPC animated advert.

So I tried again with a different card, which was accepted. However now I have to wait 3 days (at least, probably) for my subscription to be confirmed! Maybe I should avoid PPCthoughts for the next few days....

I'll include a screenshot, with the areas that are usually missing highlighted. Its like being in the countryside all your life, nice and peacefull, and suddenly living under the flightpath of an airport. The horror..

http://surur.sytes.net/ppcads.jpg

Surur

mrkablooey
07-31-2004, 08:08 PM
I am a subscriber, but I let all the ads show. They don't bother me, and there may be something interesting to me to click on it. It also helps the site even more by displaying them (especially if I click one!) so I leave them. I've never turned them off, so don't know what I'm missing, but they're not intrusive enough to me to worry about them. They're pretty much on every other site anyway, so why make it so just one of them doesn't have them? :? At least Jason gives you the option though :wink:

Jacob
07-31-2004, 08:24 PM
This site is better than others I've seen.

If a flash add bothers me when reading a thread or article, a FF extension lets me remove it while I read(I do let it load though....don't hurt me Jason :) )

scargill
07-31-2004, 08:29 PM
What I've done is made a compromise; all of the ads on the top and along the left still appear, but the ads on the right don't, and neither does anything else on the right. My PPCT only has a left hand menu, and I prefer it that way SO much.

surur
07-31-2004, 08:39 PM
I did not subscribe to stop the ads, but to support the website. Jason however did the value add thing by letting one choose to see ads or not. It looks like in the time since Ive subscribed (and switched of most of the ads) the ads have become worse. Ive done a mock-up of the site without the ads (the way I normally see it) and its much calmer and more content fits on the screen. I like my websites as distraction free as possible, and even on slashdot surf with the "simple interface" which is also good for surfing from a pocketpc.

I just never knew the ads were so annoying than after seeing them on this website for the first time for a long time.

http://surur.sytes.net\ppcnoads.jpg

Surur

Janak Parekh
07-31-2004, 08:42 PM
It looks like in the time since Ive subscribed (and switched of most of the ads) the ads have become worse.
Not really. I've kept most of the site features on for the last few years, even after I was "subscribed" as an Editor, and about the only ads that are getting somewhat worse are the Tribal Fusion ones -- they're a bit more offtopic than they used to be. The right bar, featured article, and sponsored article haven't changed since before we launched subscriber services -- I think you just don't remember how busy it was. I remember when this "v2" site launched, and I found it very busy, but my eyes quickly grew used to it.

In any case, kudos to Jason for providing the flexibility. :way to go:

--janak

tanalasta
08-01-2004, 06:08 AM
Actually, i ran Norton Internet Security 2004 once upon a time and turned on the ad-blocking feature. Which worked wonders at blocking ads on the PPCThoughts sight. Then I found myself thinking "this is so sterile... I actually miss the ads - and they're sometimes products I wanna get". :oops:

So here's a person who actually likes them! Maybe it's just me.

What I can't stand are popups and I'm so glad PPCThoughts don't have any yet!

Steven Cedrone
08-01-2004, 02:20 PM
What I can't stand are popups and I'm so glad PPCThoughts don't have any yet!

And never will!

Steve

Jon Westfall
08-01-2004, 04:58 PM
If the promise of no ads isn't enough to subscribe, the discounts page certainly makes it worth my money.

Oh, and the forum badge looks kinda cool with the mouse rollover and such.

PetiteFlower
08-03-2004, 01:42 AM
I never turned off the ads either but I miss my badge :(

I haven't been hanging out here as much lately but I might be getting a new toy(probably another dell, new Ipaqs are nice but YIPES the price!) soon so I'll probably be back with a vengeance after that!

surur
08-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Its back!! Im a subscriber again. No flashing ads, no pc anywhere! No nothing!!

Its great to be back!!!!

Surur

PS: Anyone know a way I can switch of the "Featured article" ad?