View Full Version : Network File Access

Mr. PPC
07-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know of software that can provide access to network files for a PocketPC Phone, without using VPN or being connected to internal LAN? Typicaly over GPRS or WiFI (if available in that area).

What I mean is, either a web page area that lists and allows access to files or software that is setup on a system that can be accessed from the Internet (via GPRS/WiFi). Hope that makes sense.

Brad Adrian
08-01-2004, 04:11 AM
I'm not an expert in this area, but your network would need to be configured with a modem of some sort so you can dial into it. The only other option would be to use an Internet-based file backup/sharing system, but I've always been a bit leary of those.

Mr. PPC
08-01-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't like having others store my files as well.

Our Blackberry units use METAmessage and can access internal files for reading/printing/e-mailing. It is a great feature, one difficult to replace.

Unfortunetly, I haven't heard anything concrete about the Blackberry Connection Software being released for third-party devices. I haven't been able to confirm if it will allow use of the viewers that are part of the device or be overwritten by the BES viewers. This is my big concern.

I am researching if it can be done via ASP web pages.