View Full Version : FM transmitter for IPAQ

reidar76
07-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know if there is a FM transmitter for IPAQ available? I am looking for something similar to the iPod iTrip. See link for details.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T7194LL/A

E.g. a transmitter that does require a battery and has ha nice design. No cables!

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 01:52 PM
You won't need a specific iPAQ one. All FM transmitters out there should work. Your 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter should conform to most of the available 3.5mm FM transmitters out there.

For the record, I use the Belkin TuneCast II. You will find that the iPod one uses the Belkin one too, and it should work with your iPAQ just fine.

rhmorrison
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
A quick google search turned up:
SoundFeeder SF250 Digital FM Transmitter (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=ARKN-SF250) TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter (http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?pf_id=MP600765&dept_id=4791) FM Transmitter for PDA & IPOD Music (http://www.thepocketsolution.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PSI-402&Category_Code=ipod2&Product_Count=3) ARKON (http://www.arkon.com/sf.html)

reidar76
07-30-2004, 02:10 PM
But all these models use batteries and they do not attach to the IPAQ. I am looking for something like this (se link), but a transmitter not a receiver.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=FM201

Anyone?

Robb Bates
07-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Funny thing about that is I suggested that exact thing to PPCTechs as an accessory they could develop. They never responded.

I figured it could be a CF card, but would have to have a short cable going from the card to the headset plug. You could even mold it in one solid piece so that when you plug the card in, the headset plug plugs in as well.

You might need a short antenna to get out of the shielded CF cavity.

PPCTechs, are you listening?

How many people would buy something like this?

Robb

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 02:27 PM
The device that you linked is a receiver.

First of all, let me explain what the difference is.

A receiver allows you to tune into your radio networks to listen to radio stations, etc.

A transmitter allows you to broadcast audio from your iPAQ to a set radio frequency, so that all those within a defined radius, usually a few metres, can tune into your broadcasted frequency to listen to what your iPAQ is outputting in terms of sound.

Whether you are after a receiver or a transmitter, both devices "attach" to the PPC. The receiver is via a memory card interface (e.g. CF or SD), while your typical transmitter is usually via your line out port on your PPC.

So now that I've clarified this, can you please tell us again which kind of device you were after? :D Thanks.

Robb Bates
07-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I think he knew that.

...but a transmitter not a receiver.

Robb

Darius Wey
07-30-2004, 02:35 PM
I think he knew that.

I thought so too, but then the link provided was for a page advertising a receiver. That's why I'm getting confused. :?

fuji
07-30-2004, 02:46 PM
reidar76 wrote:
I am looking for something like this (se link), but a transmitter not a receiver.

I think he is looking for a transmitter that fits like the receiver he links too.

I would like any info also about it also.

And a question about receivers: Is there anything out there from XM radio for a ipaq?

Sven Johannsen
07-30-2004, 02:57 PM
You could even mold it in one solid piece so that when you plug the card in, the headset plug plugs in as well.

That would require making a specific version for each PPC. Actually only about three versions for the few PPCs that still have a CF slot. I think that is what would kill this idea. The PPC OEMs seem to be gravitating to the smaller SD format so the market for PPC CF devices is getting thin.

Assuming a BT profile that is sufficient for stereo broadcast exists, or will, how about a small device that plugs into a wall outlet or car DC outlet and recieves on BT and rebroadcasts on FM channels. Better still, how about a BT capable car radio, that would cut off the music when your cell got a call, or your nav software needed to supply directions.

Steven Cedrone
07-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Assuming a BT profile that is sufficient for stereo broadcast exists, or will, how about a small device that plugs into a wall outlet or car DC outlet and recieves on BT and rebroadcasts on FM channels. Better still, how about a BT capable car radio, that would cut off the music when your cell got a call, or your nav software needed to supply directions.

Or how about more stereos that just have an Aux input jack in the front of the unit!

Steve

prototype
07-30-2004, 04:13 PM
I have long thought that a Bluetooth cassette adapter with a headset profile would be a great gadget.

Looks just like a cassette tape, has a AAA battery in it ... pop it into you deck, link up to it with your IPAQ and play your tunes like that. :lol:

The draw back of course is if you use other Bluetooth devices in the car ... I am not sure :idea: , but I don't think you could establish multiple Bluetooth connections ... like say one for your Bluetooth GPS, and one for this hypothetical Bluetooth cassette adapter.

my 2 cents

-Drew

reidar76
07-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Yes, I am looking for a FM transmitter, but I don’t mind if it’s a two-in-one unit (receiver and transmitter). :-)

I want a transmitter that uses power from the IPAQs main battery, is attached to the IPAQ (is small so it can be connected at all times), and can be controlled thru a program running on the IPAQ.

If it is a CF card, SD card or something else I really don’t care. As long as it works and isn’t in the way.

I don’t only want to use such a device in the car, but also as a main music unit at home. I want to access music files stored on computers on the home wlan, music files stored on the IPAQ, and music on the Internet. The audio is transmitted from the IPAQ to the loudspeakers. (The next thing is loudspeakers with built in amplifiers and FM receivers.)

hubertus
08-03-2004, 11:02 AM
I use a little gadget called iRock. Cost about $35 from Best Buy and has 4 switchable frequencies, powered by two AAA's,which can be caught on any FM reciever. Plugs into the Ipaq earphone outlet. Hope this helps.

Hubertus

fm.jpeg

Strayyycat
08-04-2004, 12:06 AM
After using some of the other FM transmitters out there, I settled on this one.

http://www.merconnet.com/products.php?ProductID=80

It has good battery life, and can be tuned for ANY frequency in the FM range, so it makes it easy to find an unused portion of the band, especially in heavily populated areas. Most others, such as the IRock or the Belkin model, only allow certain frequencies or ranges to be used. It plugs straight into the headphone jack (3.5mm) on my 2215.

Range is also excellent. As an experiment I have broadcast to friends' cars almost 100' away with barely any distortion or interference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well." - Missy Dizick
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------