View Full Version : Asus A730 Officially Announced In Taiwan

Janak Parekh
07-29-2004, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/29/asus_a730_launch/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/0...us_a730_launch/</a><br /><br /></div>I've got some good and bad news about the Asus A730: it's officially been announced, but it's not shipping for a while.<br /><br /><i>"Asus has formally launched its Wi-Fi PocketPC, the MyPal A730, in its home state of Taiwan, the company said today. The successor to the company's A716 wireless PDA, the A730 incorporates Intel's latest XScale processor technology, a 520MHz PXA270, and runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition...despite its early outings and today's launch, the A730 will not go on sale in Taiwan until September, Asus said. That suggests - though the company has not yet confirmed - Q4 availability in Western territories."</i><br /><br />September... in Taiwan? 8O I guess we'll see it by Christmas in the rest of the world. I hope I'm wrong and that they're planning a rapid worldwide release, but we'll have to wait for more information from Asus.

Boxster S
07-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I've got some good and bad news about the Asus A730: it's officially been announced, but it's not shipping for a while.

"Asus has formally launched its Wi-Fi PocketPC, the MyPal A730, in its home state of Taiwan, the company said today. The successor to the company's A716 wireless PDA, the A730 incorporates Intel's latest XScale processor technology, a 520MHz PXA270, and runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition...despite its early outings and today's launch, the A730 will not go on sale in Taiwan until September, Asus said. That suggests - though the company has not yet confirmed - Q4 availability in Western territories."

September... in Taiwan? 8O I guess we'll see it by Christmas in the rest of the world. I hope I'm wrong and that they're planning a rapid worldwide release, but we'll have to wait for more information from Asus.

The Pocket Look 720 is looking better everyday vs the Asus A730. (Both are VGA, 520MHz, dual slots, with 128MB RAM and 1.3MP cameras that do video), but the Loox adds:

(1) 1640 mAh battery vs 1100
(2) Thinner
(3) USB 2.0 host/sync
(4) Will be available in August

Asus A730 who?????? ;) As for the hx4700, that thing is just too ugly wor words and that touchpad thing looks to be a joke.

stevekc
07-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I too am targeting the Loox 720 to replace my H3835 Ipaq.

Question: Where in the USA will I be able to purchase the Loox 720?

EDIT:

Looks like Expansys-USA will have the Loox 720 - eventually!
http://www.expansys-usa.com/

ultraman
07-29-2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.firstloox.org has the Official Launch Date, Suggested Price of the Loox 720 now.

I am also hoping that the Loox 720 can be bought in US as well.

Kati Compton
07-29-2004, 06:52 PM
I'd consider the Loox over the Asus, except the Loox screen is supposedly only 3.6". I *really* want 4", but will settle for 3.7" on the Asus. I know at that point it's only another .1" difference, but those .1"s add up...

Paul P
07-29-2004, 06:52 PM
September... in Taiwan? 8O I guess we'll see it by Christmas in the rest of the world.

By then there will be leaked pics of something else and no one might care. :wink:

ctitanic
07-29-2004, 07:19 PM
It contains 64MB of RAM (48MB of which is user-accessible) and 64MB of Flash ROM.

This plus 1300 mA plus 520 MHz.... it seems to me that the days of Asus Kingdom are over.

Duncan
07-29-2004, 07:20 PM
September... in Taiwan? 8O I guess we'll see it by Christmas in the rest of the world. I hope I'm wrong and that they're planning a rapid worldwide release, but we'll have to wait for more information from Asus.

The Pocket Look 720 is looking better everyday vs the Asus A730. (Both are VGA, 520MHz, dual slots, with 128MB RAM and 1.3MP cameras that do video), but the Loox adds:

(1) 1640 mAh battery vs 1100
(2) Thinner
(3) USB 2.0 host/sync
(4) Will be available in August

Asus A730 who?????? ;) As for the hx4700, that thing is just too ugly wor words and that touchpad thing looks to be a joke.

Just some minor corrections (so you have all the facts at your fingertips):

(1) the 1150 mAh battery is only for the BT-only version of the a730 - the dual-wireless version (supposedly being released after - but I understand they may be pushing to release both simultaneously) is supposed to have a 1440 mAh battery. Still less than the Loox 720 - but much closer...

(2) (Fractionally) thinner and also less deep - but admittedly longer.

(3) Both a730 and Loox 720 do USB 1.1 host. The Loox 720 does USB 2.0 sync - I haven't seen anything that confirms or denies whether the a730 does or doesn't - so it might...

Of course the Loox 720 has Bluetooth 1.2 (against the 1.1 in the Asus), a bigger ROM store (28MB to 19.22MB) and it weighs less (175g to c.190g). Plus the Loox has ConsumerIR as opposed to the FastIR port of the Asus.

ctitanic
07-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Ducan you have not mention the memory... check the article again and go and fix your site ;) Loox is for sure a winner ;)

Duncan
07-29-2004, 07:28 PM
It contains 64MB of RAM (48MB of which is user-accessible) and 64MB of Flash ROM.

This plus 1300 mA plus 520 MHz.... it seems to me that the days of Asus Kingdom are over.

The 1300 mAh is for the a620 - the a730BT is 1150 mAh (I know it says 1100 but the actual battery has 1150 on it). The 64MB RAM is again for the BT only version - the dual wireless version will have 128MB RAM (presumably 112MB available).

(The Register reporter seems to have got the specs all mixed up...! I'm assuming Asus provided the specs for both BT and dual-wireless models?)

ctitanic
07-29-2004, 07:31 PM

The 1300 mAh is for the a620 - the a730BT is 1150 mAh (I know it says 1100 but the actual battery has 1150 on it). The 64MB RAM is again for the BT only version - the dual wireless version will have 128MB RAM (presumably 112MB available).

I hope you are right... so far that's the only official news I have read about this new Asus and I really no impressed at all.

Jonathan1
07-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Damn. This isn't even funny anymore. I'm flip flopping all over the place. I start off thinking the 4705 is going to be my next PDA. But then I look at the price of the 4150 and assume that it will fall even further as HP discontinues the device and THAT will be my next device. But then I go in and play around with one at CompUSA see just how yellow the screen is and think screw this. Now I'm eyeing the Asus A730 and this happens. Now I'm back to eyeing the 4705. ARRRGGGH!!!

stevekc
07-29-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm no longer interested in the 4705 due to it's limited 64k RAM. - (and lack of USB Host port!)

I need as much RAM as I can possibly get in a Pocket PC, specifically for a music composition app I use:

Griff

www.planetgriff.com

This app simply runs faster with less audio dropouts during music composition with more actual physical RAM - not the slow "strataFLASH" ROM found in the 4705.

When Access Netfront update's its web browser to support WM2003SE - cached web page content should run faster from RAM too.

In the USA - I'll keep checking here each week for the Loox 720:
http://www.expansys-usa.com/

huangzhinong
07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I guess we should see h4155 with VGA after one year. I can wait. A730 and Loox720 are a little bit thick. Hx4700 is almost same size as e800.

Sign. :cry:

Mark Johnson
07-29-2004, 09:55 PM
"Expected" August 16 for the Loox720...
"Expected" August 26 for the hx4705...
"Expected" September ?? for the A730...

Getting VGA has become like waiting for the OQO, it just never stops. I should have bought an e805 months ago!

Kati Compton
07-29-2004, 10:34 PM
If only I could have the size efficiency of the Asus 730, but scaled up JUST enough for a 4" screen!

Sorry - I know I'm whining.

whydidnt
07-30-2004, 12:00 AM
"Expected" August 16 for the Loox720...
"Expected" August 26 for the hx4705...
"Expected" September ?? for the A730...

Getting VGA has become like waiting for the OQO, it just never stops. I should have bought an e805 months ago!

I agree re: the OQO.

Its obviously harder to produce a small VGA PDA device than some of us would have thought.

Any word on availability in the US for the Loox720? I'm guessing IF it every makes it's way to this part of the world, it will be sometime in the distant future, much like previous Loox devices. It sounds like a winner if it was actually available to those of us in the third world. :wink:

Duncan
07-30-2004, 12:07 AM
The official webpage for the Asus a730 (only covers the BT model so far) makes some pretty inaccurate claims:

First Pocket PC with 1.3 Mega-Pixel Digital Camera

Well - only if they beat the Loox 720 and MPx to market - otherwise - no it isn't...!

comes equipped with a 640x480 resolution, 3.7-inch XVGA display

XVGA? Where did they pluck that from?

First to adopt Intel's latest PXA270 processor for superior computing power

What about Dell? They comfortably beat everyone to the PXA27x party!

Of interest too is that they specify the a730BT has a SerialIR port and not FastIR. Does that mean FIR only for the dual wireless model? Or no FIR at all? And why no mention at all of USB host? Is that not included in the BT model? :?

http://www.asus.com/products/pda/event/a730/overview.htm

WyattEarp
07-30-2004, 01:58 AM
Moblie Planet has the Asus A730 listed in their catalog. I recieved it a few days ago, but there is no sign of it on their website :?

jpjehu
07-30-2004, 04:41 AM
I, too, can't wait for the new devices to ACTUALLY hit the market. It's a bit funny, though, that there's so much scrambling and scrutiny over the new devices when Toshiba released a VGA, dual wireless, decent capacity battery, 192mb memory, SE (now) upgraded device last year. I wonder if I would still have it if the button lag hadn't been so significant...

Stephen Beesley
07-30-2004, 08:44 AM
If only I could have the size efficiency of the Asus 730, but scaled up JUST enough for a 4" screen!

Sorry - I know I'm whining.

I agree that it would be great to have a 4 inch screen in something more like the size of the Asus and the Loox. Having just "moved up" to a 3.8 inch screen in a Toshiba e755 I would find it very hard to go "back down". Even at 3.7 inches I think the Asus might be just a bit too small. For me the extra space is particularly handy because I use Calligrapher pretty much exclusively for input and tend to write quite abit on my PPC. The extra screen size means I can write that much bigger which improves HWR dramatically in my experience.

All that said I will definately be keeping an eye on these new devices. In fact I am hoping that in the case of the Loox, being in Europe might actually have some advantages if, as with past models, it is more targeted at the European market.

jlp
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Regarding screen size, all of us with Palm-sized PC and/or PPC2000 went down from a 3.8" screen to 3.5" with PPC2k2/WM03. All except the ipaq 3xxx and 5xxx which still have/had the larger size.

So going up to 3.6/3.7 is good, tho 4" would be much better considering the 400% increase in screen rez 8O.

OTOH it looks like the P.Loox is the only one amongst the new VGA devices to have a side scroll button for true one handed operation, and it's correctly placed too (vs Axim X5's :evil: for example).

Also the ipaq 4700 IrDA windows is awefully stupidly placed at the bottom :splat: :multi: :snipersmile: :soapbox:

Stephen Beesley
07-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Regarding screen size, all of us with Palm-sized PC and/or PPC2000 went down from a 3.8" screen to 3.5" with PPC2k2/WM03. All except the ipaq 3xxx and 5xxx which still have/had the larger size.

So going up to 3.6/3.7 is good, tho 4" would be much better considering the 400% increase in screen rez 8O.

Not all the PPC2000 devices had a 3.8 inch screen. The Jornada 54x and 52x series devices only had a 3.5 inch screen.

OTOH it looks like the P.Loox is the only one amongst the new VGA devices to have a side scroll button for true one handed operation, and it's correctly placed too (vs Axim X5's :evil: for example).

Also the ipaq 4700 IrDA windows is awefully stupidly placed at the bottom :splat: :multi: :snipersmile: :soapbox:

Now the Loox having a scroll button is definately something in it's favour - maybe even something that would make me forget the smaller screen. All of my PPCs to date have had a scrol dial of some description and I really cannot imagine bein without one.

Have to agree that the bottom seems a very silly place to put the IrDA window.....

Kati Compton
07-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Have to agree that the bottom seems a very silly place to put the IrDA window.....
For use with an IR keyboard?

Yo-DUH_87
07-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Now the Loox having a scroll button is definately something in it's favour - maybe even something that would make me forget the smaller screen. All of my PPCs to date have had a scrol dial of some description and I really cannot imagine bein without one.

Yeah, that's one thing I really appreciated about my V35 while I still had it.

This really is annoying for the mfg to dangle promises of newer and better stuff in front of our faces and then make us wait 6 months.

Are there any areas where the Loox is inferior to the asus?

Duncan
07-30-2004, 07:20 PM

Obviously no benchmarks comparisons exist yet but the only thing I can see from specs is that the Loox is 4.5 mm (0.177 inches) longer.

If you were interested in the single wireless BT version of the Asus - it is lighter than the Loox by c. 5g (0.176 oz.).

The dual wireless a730 is supposed to have FastIR (4 Mbps) as opposed to the Loox 720's ConsumerIR. Depending on your IR needs that could be a factor (the official specs page for the a730 BT version says it only has SerialIR - 115.2Kbps - which could be an error?).

Kati Compton
07-30-2004, 08:04 PM
In addition to the size issue that Duncan just mentioned, there's the difference in screen size, as discussed previously. The Loox screen is .1" smaller on the diagonal.

Duncan
07-30-2004, 08:41 PM
In addition to the size issue that Duncan just mentioned, there's the difference in screen size, as discussed previously. The Loox screen is .1" smaller on the diagonal.

Not necessarily - the actual screen diagonal for the a730 is 93 mm (3.66") and has simply been rounded to the nearest tenth of an inch (which is fine - various of the 3.5" screens have varied from just under to just over 3.5").

The Loox could be anything up to 92.6 mm (a mere 0.4 mm or 0.012" difference) and still be justifiably rounded down to 3.6" in the specs (that would be 3.646" - I think most people would call that 3.6"...!). Likewise it could be the other way (3.59" for example) just as easily.

The point is - the difference in the screens may be noticeable, or hardly perceptible, or simply explained by variations in measurement - but best not to take the 3.7" or 3.6" specs as entirely accurate proof that the screens are a tenth of an inch different in size.

The full calculations, measurements etc. are here (http://firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1613) - but only if you *really* want to know...! :)

Islander
07-30-2004, 09:04 PM
This is driving me insane.

Screw it, I am going to go buy an Asus A716 (I think I can get the extra battery with the deal) and an sd card, and maybe in a year, wait and see which device survived the fallout.

I have been waffling back and forth and trying TRYING hard to wait, but it doesn't look like any of them are truly a) worth the wait (Taiwan> Asus A730??sheesh. I'll give up long before it gets HERE and Loox? try to get it in Canada...might as well start panning for nuggets again. or b) affordable (over $1000 CAD, hx4700? and no true price yet for the A730 or the wifi/bt version...add tax, it kills.

I want the dual slots, to heck with size. To heck with the VGA and the cam. (sob)

Ok, so I suck at waiting. If I really do order one, I will let you know. Holiday weekend anyway.

Kati Compton
07-30-2004, 09:06 PM
The full calculations, measurements etc. are here (http://firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1613) - but only if you *really* want to know...! :)
Heh. Seems like splitting mm to me, but I see your point. If someone is actively happy about the idea of 3.7", I don't think they'd feel the squeeze going to the Loox. However, as someone that REALLY want(ed/s) 4", it could be a "last straw" type of thing. Since I'm unlikely to purchase before more detailed Loox specs come out, though, I'll look for your further analysis when the real numbers are available. ;)

Duncan
07-30-2004, 10:52 PM
If someone is actively happy about the idea of 3.7", I don't think they'd feel the squeeze going to the Loox. However, as someone that REALLY want(ed/s) 4", it could be a "last straw" type of thing.

Absolutely on both points! My aim was purely to point out that we are almost inevitably talking about a very slight difference (at most) between the Asus a730 and Loox 720 screens - but compare with 4" and you get a noticeable difference (having owned an e800 I feel very comfortable with the idea of VGA - either type - on a smaller screen, so I don't really believe it matters...!)

The measurements and calculations are just a way of illustrating the point...! :)

Islander
07-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Exactly how much button lag, and when, did you notice, on the e800? I have heard this before...and since I haven't actually hit the "checkout" button yet, my options for vga and 4" are still there. Mind you, the price of the e800 is still up there with the projected prices for the A730...&lt;sigh>

I WILL buy a pocketpc this weekend. I WILL. really. Or go out of my mind. (further) :evil:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok, Edited post. I just bought the A716. Now I can wait for the courier instead of the new crop of ppcs :mrgreen: I am excited. Haven't had a new pda since my Visor Platinum, and I loved that, still do...I imagine I will see a difference, eh?

Cheers, happy me. :D

Duncan
07-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Exactly how much button lag, and when, did you notice, on the e800? I have heard this before...and since I haven't actually hit the "checkout" button yet, my options for vga and 4" are still there.

Oh dear - you won't like this then... There *is* going to be a dual wireless e830 from Toshiba...! Presumably 4" screen and all...!

Kati Compton
07-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Exactly how much button lag, and when, did you notice, on the e800? I have heard this before...and since I haven't actually hit the "checkout" button yet, my options for vga and 4" are still there.

Oh dear - you won't like this then... There *is* going to be a dual wireless e830 from Toshiba...! Presumably 4" screen and all...!
Yeah, but if the "rumor" is starting JUST NOW, the device won't show up for a while most likely, right? It just seems like the time from rumor start to device release has become really long.

Duncan
07-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Yeah, but if the "rumor" is starting JUST NOW, the device won't show up for a while most likely, right? It just seems like the time from rumor start to device release has become really long.

The confidentiality letter bans pictures and manual posting before 15 September - so that is a good guide as to when we might expect a launch...

It's like watching VGA turtles racing...! :lol:

Kati Compton
07-31-2004, 02:15 AM

The confidentiality letter bans pictures and manual posting before 15 September - so that is a good guide as to when we might expect a launch...

It's like watching VGA turtles racing...! :lol:
Maybe that's when it will be "really leaked", or possibly even "announced"... But I'll guess it won't be "available" then. Just 'cause it would be too convenient for me. :P

Hmm... A Tosh 4" VGA dual-slot nice battery d-pad CIR USB host unit would make me take back my self-imposed ban on Toshiba. Especially since it doesn't seem like any of the major players are very good about support these days.

Duncan
07-31-2004, 02:33 AM
The pictures in this PDF: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=455146&native_or_pdf=pdf - make it look like they've just shoved some new bits into an e800 casing. in which case - not for me. Too heavy, too wide, too big full stop...

Yo-DUH_87
08-05-2004, 08:22 AM
I am about to the point where I am sick and tired of waiting (have been waiting since April) for this next gen of ppcs. They leaked this, rumored that, promised this...

Only thing is I have waited this long, and to give up would be a bit of a shame.

It is really doing the mfgs a disservice though, I would have gone out and purchased a pda long ago if it wasn't for the Toshiba e830 rumors (and the general dissatisfaction with the early e800).

Holding out for the Loox 720, ASUS a730, or the Toshiba e830 I guess :roll:

Stephen Beesley
08-05-2004, 10:03 AM
....I WILL buy a pocketpc this weekend. I WILL. really. Or go out of my mind. (further) :evil:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok, Edited post. I just bought the A716. Now I can wait for the courier instead of the new crop of ppcs :mrgreen: I am excited. Haven't had a new pda since my Visor Platinum, and I loved that, still do...I imagine I will see a difference, eh?

Cheers, happy me. :D

This is pretty much exactly how I felt before taking the plunge and buying an e755. In the end my desire for a new Pocket PC with a bigger screen. built in wifi and dual slots was greater than my desire to wait and see what the new vga offerings were like. Oh yeah that and "sticker shock" at the predicted price of some of those devices!

In the end I am really happy with my new Toshiba and will probably wait for a year or so before moving on to a vga device.

BTW - I spent most of the four days it took for my Toshiba to arrive watching its progress on the UPS track and trace....Boiling kettles anybody.... :D

Islander
08-05-2004, 02:15 PM
&lt;clippage>
BTW - I spent most of the four days it took for my Toshiba to arrive watching its progress on the UPS track and trace....Boiling kettles anybody.... :D

I got the SD card in a package, day before yesterday...I knew it was too fast to be true. What a waste of shipping cost, for NCIX.

Just think, if my A716 had been in stock, I would have HAD it by now :cry:

I paid a reasonable price for the A716...the hx47xx would have cost $500 more, at least, CAD and the A730, I imagine probably at least $200-300 more. So, I will use this for a while, maybe I will get rich and famous in a few years, save up brownie points, and get the dual wireless A730 from Santa in 2005 :wink:

Waiting is killing me, isn't that the reason I relented and bought the A716?

Boil, damned kettle, BOIL! :multi:

I'm off to watch the SD card gather dust. Maybe I can try biking from one end of PEI to the other...if I survive, I might have a "your order has been shipped" email waiting for me when I get back. If I have to wait too long, I will cancel, and get the loox...it should be available by then.

Unregistered
08-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi, I am interested in the Loox 720 mostly because I'd like a VGA pocket PC before school starts again but I was wondering if it would be €649 ($796.80) here in the US too? Because IMHO, spending $800 on a pocket PC without GSM/GPRS is rediculous especially when one can get the same basic pocket PC just a month later for only $550...