View Full Version : What version of VS supports Smart Devices? CF?

paulzazzarino
07-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I have been a eVC++ developer but am now playing with the VS 2003 Standard toolkit. The question here is which CF/smart device SDK can I use with Standard Edition or do I need to go with the full blown VS 2003?

I know that in VS 2004?/2005 than better integration exists and devices will be considered "full citizens". Any recommendations?

manywhere
07-30-2004, 10:16 AM
The standard Visual Studio 2003 should support developing for "smart devices", only you might need to download the SDKs and latest emulator images for that job.

paulzazzarino
07-30-2004, 12:33 PM
yes,

i download the PPC 2003 SDK and installed that no luck. When I do
open -> new project -> i do not see a smart devices icon.

any pointers to what SDK to install? I can not find a smart devices SDK. I am perplexed?

Peter Foot
07-30-2004, 01:45 PM
You need the Professional edition or higher for Smart Device Programmability. You'll need to upgrade :-(

Peter

paulzazzarino
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
thanks,

Boy what a price difference

eVC 3.0/4.0 = Free
Netbeans Java IDE = Free

VS Studio Professional = $1000

hmmm

cnjmorris
09-10-2004, 06:53 PM
order visual studio .net 2005 beta DVD for about $8 shipped. When the actual product comes out buy the academic version, or have a friend or child buy it, because the academic version costs about $100.

paulzazzarino
09-10-2004, 07:26 PM
yes, i could do that, but...

I recently purchased VS Studio.NET C# - The deluxe learning edition. 32 chapters of a technology tour of the basic functionality of VS and C#. This retails for $119, but if you go to quantumbooks.com you can purchase it for around $77. The most excellent thing is this comes with a full blown version of the VS Studio C# Standard Edtion. This allows you to do ASP.NET, DB Apps, C# Apps, Mobile ASP apps, but unfortunately not CF.NET apps. :(

I just had to gripe since eVC 3.0/4.0 are free it just seems odd that they left out CF.NET Mobile Apps. VS 2004 is supposed to make them more of a full citizen as well.

Since they are pitching Mobile development so much and 3.0/4.0 are free perhaps they would consider making CF.Mobile apps part of the standard edition. Being an individual consultant it is a little rough to spend $1000 in order to develop C# apps for mobile devices.

Better news for you folks for each Deluxe Learning Edition book C#, VB, C++
they each come complete with the Standard Edition VS for that particular language. So pick your language/poison and buy one of the DLEs for $77. Its cheaper than buying the IDE by itself, plus you get a great technology tour!

:)

Kowalski
09-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Being an individual consultant it is a little rough to spend $1000 in order to develop C# apps for mobile devices.

agree with you, but we cant escape from c#.
as the UI gets more complex, implementing a good looking program becames more and more painfull with c++
i am lucky that i can work with a licensed copy whenever i want, but it would be nice to have a working copy of VS pro. at home :(