View Full Version : Giving BetaPlayer a little more dominance!

Darius Wey
07-29-2004, 03:15 PM
I don't know if anyone here at PPCT has found this out yet, but if you've been to the BetaPlayer (http://betaplayer.corecodec.org) site recently, you may have seen a new link there called "Additional Plugins". Click on it and you will find that you can give BetaPlayer some more "goodies" by installing extra codecs. This certainly looks promising as this powerful program can soon become the PPC's all-in-one video and audio program when even more codecs come out for us to install onto our handheld. :D

Stephen Beesley
07-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Now that is what I call interesting and promising!

Beta Player is already my video player of choice - I have just finished watching the entire third series of Enterprise via using Beta Player and was very impressed by the performance.

If they can get this plug in architecture working then I really cannot see much need for any other player on my PPC.

Darius Wey
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
If they can get this plug in architecture working then I really cannot see much need for any other player on my PPC.

That is exactly what I thought too. I've been a loyal BetaPlayer user since it first appeared in the PPC world, and when I told a friend I had DivX capabilities on my PPC from a mere ~800K installation, he showed signs of jealousy (being stuck with his iPod and all). The fact is BetaPlayer is fast and innovative, and this plugin architecture can only turn this program from 10/10 to 11/10!

timmer
07-29-2004, 04:01 PM
That was a shame. I got my hopes up that there might be an AC3 plugin on that page you mentioned but alas there isnt.

If Betaplayer had AC3 support then it would be fantastic.

Do any players support AC3 ? I know what your thinking - why the hell would you want to play AC3 audio on a PPC anyway. Well I cannot be bothered to reencode a lot of my Divx files which have AC3 audio and would rather be able to play them as is.

Darius Wey
07-29-2004, 04:08 PM
That was a shame. I got my hopes up that there might be an AC3 plugin on that page you mentioned but alas there isnt.

If Betaplayer had AC3 support then it would be fantastic.

Do any players support AC3 ? I know what your thinking - why the hell would you want to play AC3 audio on a PPC anyway. Well I cannot be bothered to reencode a lot of my Divx files which have AC3 audio and would rather be able to play them as is.

Nope, I perfectly understand you. I have some DivX's still in AC3 too and would like to have them in MP3 format. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any AC3 players out there, but I'm sure they exist (hopefully, another PPCT member can inform us of one). However, this doesn't guarantee that, if such a program exists, that it will play the DivX codec. This is where you may have to toss up between reencoding the file, or watching an audio-less video. Personally, I'd prefer reencoding the file for the sake of it, and if you've got a fast computer, you will find that it's little hassle.

On a side note, it is a shame to see that AC3 isn't one of the mentioned plugins yet, but do remember that this plugin architecture is still in its early days. Perhaps in a few weeks/months, AC3 will be readily available for BetaPlayer, and better still, you could even suggest it to Gábor Kovács via ([email protected]) email to speed up the process. 8)

Zero101
07-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah, BetaPlayer is great... easily my favorite media program on the pocket pc right now.

The plugins look interesting.... can't wait to see how they develop :)

Stephen Beesley
07-29-2004, 04:24 PM
GoByte Networks - http://www.gobyte.tk - Currently Under Construction
Current Setup: HP iPAQ h1940, 256MB SD Card

OT, but....

Just checked out your WBA skins - very nice. Indeed I am installing them on my Toshiba as soon as I finish typing this!

BTW - which part of Oz are you in?

Darius Wey
07-29-2004, 04:36 PM
OT, but....

Just checked out your WBA skins - very nice. Indeed I am installing them on my Toshiba as soon as I finish typing this!

OT again, :oops:

Thanks! Glad you like them!

I'm from Perth. Which part were you from?

Stephen Beesley
07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
OT, but....

OT again,

Thanks! Glad you like them!

I'm from Perth. Which part were you from?

Snap!

Grew up in Busselton, but Perth has pretty much been my "home town" most of my adult life. I can tell you, on a dreary, overcast, rainy "summers" day in Ireland I find myself really missing Perth....

Darius Wey
07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Haha. Awesome. Anyway, I think I'd better PM you to take this conversation further. Knowing me and my typical mouth, I'd probably take this thread totally OT, so for the benefit of others, this thread is now back on topic!

Isn't BetaPlayer great? :wink:

Kowalski
07-30-2004, 03:57 PM
beta player is the best divx player for me. it has excellent performance and if a program has a good plugin support, then the program can grow better and better just like total commander.

scargill
07-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Hate to jump in and change the subject; can anybody tell me what the performance of betaplayer is like on the Axim X30 (624mhz) or the Toshiba E800!

timmer
07-30-2004, 11:22 PM
I would love to see a Betaplayer benchmark comparison between as many PPCs as possible. Especially the new VGA models when they all come out.

Kowalski
07-30-2004, 11:25 PM
i have a 2215 and the performance is excellent, and it is obvious that you wont have any performance problems with e800! :D

scargill
07-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Although it *works* fine; the performance could hardly be questioned as great on my Ipaq 3950

Dinan
07-31-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure if this is a common problem but when I tried BetaPlayer for some mp3's, it drained my battery a hell of a lot faster than windows media player or pocketMVP... I didn't get to try videos because I just deleted it and used pocketMVP for the better battery so I'm not sure. Anyone else experience this? (I have an h4155 btw)

urugoof
08-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Toshiba e800 with 2MB video memory... verdict:

AWESOME!!
The second highest quality Matrix trailer on his site plays with nary a dropped frame. Beautiful and very impressive to Palm users! :D

I bet it smokes on the new Axim too.

Chucky
08-01-2004, 06:10 AM
The Axim X30 has the Wireless MMX extensions? I think it does, correct me if I'm wrong. But anyway, no doubt betaplayer will eventually take advantage of this. I'm quite confident that the combination of MMX and the 624mhz processor would at least match the Toshiba's hardware graphics accelerator, I doubt there would be major gains tho, especially when your limited by a QVGA screen.

Darius Wey
08-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Hate to jump in and change the subject; can anybody tell me what the performance of betaplayer is like on the Axim X30 (624mhz) or the Toshiba E800!

I've got the h1940 with the Samsung SC32410 266MHz processor. I can tell you now that at a high encoded DivX video, I get absolutely no lags in frames whatsoever. So I'm sure the X30s and E800s should be fine. :D

pootp
08-01-2004, 09:06 PM
anyone manage to get the MPC plugin to work? It seemed to install OK, but Betaplayer doesn't recognize the mpc format and therefore won't play my music files.

coder33404
08-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Anybody know if it will play AVI files from digital cameras???

Darius Wey
08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Anybody know if it will play AVI files from digital cameras???

No reason why it shouldn't. It can handle DivX encoded AVI files as well as your standard ones, so I shouldn't see too much of a problem seeing as though the ones in digital cameras usually use a standard codec anyway.

coder33404
08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks I will give it a shot!

Thaedson
08-06-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm kind of lost on where we put the plug ins. Is there a direction page I missed?