View Full Version : Attention all potential HX4700 buyers

jaydoc05
07-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi fellow Ipaqers (is that a word?)

I just have some very important news regarding the purchase of the HX4700 or 4705 whatever you want to call it.

I originally ordered my HX from ecost.com for 599 + overnight shipping + their infamous handling charge. It all equaled 614.99. The sales guy (Rome) stated that it would be in 8-18. That is 8 days before IPAQs website says.

Now, I was just playing around and went to cdw.com. There, they are selling the IPAQ HX4700 (not listed as 4705, but listed as 4700) for 669.02. I called them at 8007504239 and was connected with Hector. I thought wow another weird name recalling the name of the ecost person. Anyway, Hector said that he could price match Ecost.com down to 620.00. When you add overnight shipping, the final total was 638.00. 24 dollars more than ecost. However, Hector did say that he is showing an availabilty of 8-8. That is 18 days before IPAQ.com.

Now Hector told me something very important: IPAQ will not provide a 1 year warranty, nor can you upgrade the warranty via IPAQ (IFFFFFFFFF) you do not buy the IPAQ from an authorized reseller. Hector said the CDW.com is an authorized reseller and that I need to see if ecost.com is likewise.

So I decided to place the CDW order on hold, took down Hector's extention, and called HPshopping.com to verify this news. The HPshopp guy (did not catch his name, but if I did it would probably be something like Chase) said that it is true, they will not provide a warranty or any warranty upgrade options on products purchased from non-authorized retailers. I asked Mr. HP, well how do I verify CDW or Ecost? He said go to our verify retailer website and type in the zip code of the online store. If they do not show up on the list, then they are not authorized to sell HP products and HP cannot provide warranties for those products.

That website for HP's checking is: http://hp.via.infonow.net/usconsumer/index.jsp *

The zip code for CDW is 60061, and sure enough, there they are listed :lol: .
The zip code for Ecost.com is 90504, and guess what, they are not listed :bad-words: .

I then called Rome back from Ecost and xnayed my order faster than you can say IPAQ. I told Rome that I was cancelling because HP does not consider then an authorized seller and cannot therefore honor a manufacturer warranty. And guess what??? Rome did not contest it, nor deny it, he simply was very pleasant and cancelled my order. That to me must prove it then. ECOST is not authorized to sell HP.

I then called back Hector from CDW. I ordered my HX4700(5) for 638.00 which includes overnight shipping.

Hector is double-checking the 8-8-04 day with his purchaser and will call me. I don't care if that day is inaccurate for CDW is the only authorized HP seller taking pre-orders.

I told Hector that I had many friends who were very interested in this machine and would like the same deal he gave me. He said sure, call 800-255-6227, push 1, then enter Hector's extension 30421. He will sell you the HX4700 for 620.00 US Dollars. After that, shipping is your choice.

Last thing, on that ship date 8-8-04. HPshop guy asked his manager and sincerely doubts that CDW would have it before HP releases it on 8-26. Nevertheless, it feels good to have dibbs on this awesome (hopefully) product.

In defense of CDW's 8-8 date, in my Sony clie NX80v days, Circuit City got them before Sony's website last summer. So I know it is possible, may not be probable that CDW will have it 8-8. :D

* URL fixed by moderator SJC

jpjehu
07-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Great posting! I know it probably took a long time - but what a wealth of info! Can anyone else reading agree or deny the details of the warranty info? I preordered from ecost at 569 + ship - the total of which came to 578 for overnight. If CDW will match that then I might change over, but I don't want to be too hasty. Anyone got any info??

Thanks again for the info!

jpjehu
07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
ps - your link for the hp zip code test isn't going through...

Steven Cedrone
07-28-2004, 08:06 PM
ps - your link for the hp zip code test isn't going through...

Fixed!

Steve

jaydoc05
07-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I see link is not working,

Try this:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2044358276.1091041458@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcadcmeddkgjhcfngcfkmdflldfgf.0&category=handhelds&subcat1=handhelds&catLevel=3&product_code=FA304A%23ABA

Then click on "find a retail store"

As for verifing my post, I think the best thing to do is call HP and ask them yourself.

One confusing thing that contradicts my post is that I was doing a pseudo registration of the IPAQ on HP's website too see what store choices they had to pick. CDW, BEST BUY, and etc were listed as a store to pick from. At the bottom though, they did have 'other' as a store choice.

I do not know what that implies

DarrenS
07-28-2004, 08:10 PM
This does not sound right. How could a manufacture NOT honor their manufacturer warrantee? Even items purchased off of eBay new carry manufacturer warrantees. Normally manufacturers only need to know your unit’s serial number. They do not care where you got it from or how much you paid for it.

Also, is CDW a "retail store"?

jaydoc05
07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah I was wondering the definition of the "retail store"

Yet the HP shop guy did say that no matter if they are webbased or some mom and pop electronic store, if the zip code for the store's contact is not on the website search, they are not authorized

The only caveat is I may not have the correct zip code for ecost.com

But it is the only one listed

Go to ecost.com.
click help desk (top right)
scroll to bottom of pop-up window and find contact us by mail.

There you see the zip code

alex_kac
07-28-2004, 08:27 PM
THis is normal. Its to prevent gray market sales. Technically, if you purchase a camera, PC, or other electronic goodies from a gray market distributor - its not under warranty. It has to be purchased from an authorized distributor first.

This is why many times you can get a camera much cheaper from a little place in New York than say Amazon. The same goes here.

This only has to do with FIRST sale, not subsequent ones.

ctitanic
07-28-2004, 08:31 PM
have you guys registered your PDA bought online at HP sites?

All they ask is your serial no from your PPC. Once you have that registered you'll get your year warranty. That's all. I got my h2215 on ebay and I have a year warranty on it. :wink:

DarrenS
07-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Also, from the eCost product page for the 4705:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?action=techspec&dpno=470594#scroll

Manufacturer Information
Parts Warranty 1 year
Labor Warranty 1 year

jpjehu
07-28-2004, 08:47 PM
that's true about the warranty linke to the seriel number - I had an ipaq sent in for repair that I purchased off of ebay...no charge to me...

jweisz
07-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Also, is CDW a "retail store"?

I don't know about anywhere else, but CDW has 2 retail locations in the Chicago area.

ctitanic
07-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I contacted eCost and here is their answer about this topic.

We have a partnership with HP/Compaq. We sell HP warranties. We are
authorized HP resellers. You can contact HP and they will verify we are
authorized. We are listed under PCMall/Ecost.com. Please contact me if you
have any questions.

Thank you,

Menas Kapitsas
Ecost.com
1-877-888-2678
Fax#310-630-5528
[email protected]

DarrenS
07-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks. That puts that issue to bed.

jaydoc05
07-29-2004, 02:19 AM
I am glad that it was figured out.

At any rate,

Lets look forward to the toy

corphack
07-29-2004, 03:18 AM
btw, CDW has "retail" stores in and around the greater Chi-town area, as well as their mail order businesses, so they qualify. I've purchased from them both personally and professionally (walk-in and mailorder) since 1985 (at least that's as far back as I can remember).

Ink Noise
07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Okay. What!?!

I am about to try to order my 4355 (different model than is being discussed) but I didn't find anything on that link from the original topic. How does this mean I won't be able to get any warranty service?

http://www.bestoptionsdirect.com/asp/product.asp?product=35535

Huh!?!