View Full Version : Re: MDA II or XDA II United States Use with T-Mobile in Arizona USA

dgrilli
07-28-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm currently thinking about purchasing an Unlocked MDAII or XDA II from a company in Chicago Il. Called: On The Solutions here is web site:

http://www.onthegosolutions.com/default.asp?source=google

Anyone have any information on how this works in the US and I want to use it with T-Mobile here in the Phoenix, AZ Area.

I currently use the Pocket PC first Edition and really like it.

They sell this as a T-Mobile Branded in Europe and have wondered why they don't offer it straight from T-Mobile here in the US.

So anybody with some insight would be welcome.

dgrilli
08-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Somebody here in this United States has been using this Pocket PC Phone?

I wanted some feedback on how they liked it? Also what the screen looked like when veiwing DVD to Pocket PC movies?

How the Bluetooth worked and whether anyone changed the blue tooth stack to one more usefull?

Supposedly this Pocket PC is the best out there but I wanted some feedback from some users as this phone cost more than $750.00

Darren Behan
08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
I have an iMate(AKA XDA II) here in NJ, USA with T-Mobil and generally enjoy it alot. I am currently using the latest ROM release from http://www.clubimate.com (though you need to physically own an iMate and register it prior to getting access to the meat of the site). I bought it from http://www.icube.us/ and they are fantastic people to work with in my experience. You may also want to check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php which is a pretty good resource for troubleshooting but can also give you an idea about what peoples' experience with it is. Similar to PPCT, people mainly post about issues/problems so don't read that as being particularly negative - I personally have never had a problem with the unit, your milage may vary.

Battery life can be an issue particularly if you have BlueTooth running all the time, use it frequently for the PDA side of things and/or talk for more than short bursts. Generally, you're really not going to get much more out of it than a full day without needing to recharge - less if you're really using it alot. A backup battery and/or car charger and/or carry-along AC adapter should be one(some) if the first accessories you purchase.

iMates are noted for their supposedly poor BlueTooth performance. Maybe my expectations were not all that high and the latest ROM image is supposed to address some BlueTooth problems but in any event I have found BT performance to be satisfactory for normal use, particularly with a BT headset. One thing to note is that there seems to a significat loss in signal strength for both BT & the phone radio when in an aluminum case, you may wish to steer away from one of these.

I can't speak to viewing films on it as yet but overall performance seems solid and I wouldn't anticipate that playing vids on the iMate would be any worse than any other PDA. Once again though, battery life could become an issue here.

db

dgrilli
08-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if anyone knows why they are not offering these here in the US like through T-Mobile Ect..

I also wonder what the screen is like compared to the XDA 1 or First HTC Pocket PC? This is what I am using now and really like it but the screen is not to good rather very limited.

I currently use T-Mobile in Arizona and asked them about this MDA II and they know nothing about it.

I know T-Mobile in Germany has it and they sell it alot same Company? On the go solutions wants $750.00 plus $10.00 Shipping and $59.00 for Replacement Insurance.

Thanks

Gavin Henriques
08-02-2004, 08:21 PM
The screen is a huge improvement over the original XDA which you have!! It is a transflective display which is used in most current pocket pc's. I also have the I-Mate and they seem to provide the most ROM upgrades. The latest ROM is solid. I would make sure to get the I-Mate version.

Only the T-Mobile people know why they did not carry this device?

Darren Behan
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Not sure why T-Mobile didn't use the XDA II but there are rumors that they are going to distribute the XDA III here in the US which looks like a nifty device IMHO. At present, as far as I know, that is still just rumor and who knows how far away but nevertheless something to consider if you aren't in a hurry.

db

rootie
08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I am using a T-Mo MDA II in NJ. I got it on ebay-originally it was a TMo Geman model. I flashed it with an O2 UK rom to get English. It works great with T-Mo but I have no T-Mo usa applets on it (maybe thats why it works OK).

DB, I'd would love to know:
-which BT headset you are using
-How did you get anything from clubimate? The IMEI from my unit rejects on their registration process.

Thanks

Gavin Henriques
08-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Rootie,
you have to own a I-Mate version of the XDA II. It is the same unit but rebranded and has I-Mate at the top. The QTek 2020 and T-Mobile MDA will not be registered as I-Mate devices.

Darren Behan
08-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Rootie,

What Gavin says about the Club-iMate is correct. Pretty sure you can find everything you need/want on XDA-Developers shown above though.

As far as the BT headset, I'm using the Jabra 250. For the most part, it works fine though you're not likely to go walking around very far while your phone stays put but that's bluetooth no matter what you're using.

Hope this helps,

db