View Full Version : MPx To Support Blackberry Connectivity

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal//index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040727005346&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal...346&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Research In Motion today announced plans to enable BlackBerry(R) connectivity on the Motorola, Inc. MPx and MPx220 mobile devices. Through RIM's BlackBerry Connect(TM) licensing program, the Motorola MPx and MPx220 will be able to connect to BlackBerry services including BlackBerry Enterprise Server(TM) and BlackBerry Web Client(TM). 'The MPx and MPx220 are the ultimate email devices for mobile professionals who want to stay in touch with their business, friends and family.' said Michael Tatelman, Vice-President and General Manager, MOTOPro Products, Motorola Inc. 'Constant access to email is an essential part of everyday business and private life for busy people and the MOTOPro Innovation Platform provides the flexibility to deliver world class connectivity solutions such as RIM's BlackBerry Connect.'"</i><br /><br />I've got one word for this: :drool: One of the things Verizon provides with the i700 WM2003 upgrade is real always-on email and PDA sync via an IntelliSync solution (and not using Exchange-like SMS mechanisms or ActiveSync). I'll write more details about it more in a post later, but always-on is indeed the future, and once you have it you <i>can't</i> go back. Any future successful email-enabled device must have it. By integrating with Blackberry's platform, it'll make it very easy for the MPx to be a slip-in replacement for existing Blackberry users... and they know that while the Blackberry is good for email, it's not good for heavy PIM use. The MPx would fit the bill perfectly. :way to go:

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 03:45 PM
This makes me all the more want the MPX but I need a availability date if I am going to wait instead of picking up a 6300....hopefully we will hear something soon!

Jeff Rutledge
07-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Very interesting. I remember that this was initially rumoured to be included with the 6300, which was one of the main selling features for me. I may have to look more closely at the MPx now.

To me, the bottom line is that whoever ships Blackberry Connect first will have the first crack at significantly breaking the enterprise space. If this proves out, the MPx will be the device to beat!

Brad Adrian
07-27-2004, 04:09 PM
I think this is great news. Many corporate users have Blackberries and like that they can provide near real-time messaging. But, they don't necessarily like the device itself. I think this will really help boost the SmartPhone's adoption.

entropy1980
07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Moto has been on a rampage.... first iTunes and now Blackberry!? Like I said I just wish they would give a release date already!!!

outdoor
07-27-2004, 04:32 PM
aw c'mon the MPx is already good enough for advanced ppc users. JUST RELEASE IT OUT TO THE MARKET!!!!

k_kirk
07-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Here's the thing. If it works on one PPC Phone Edition with GPRS connectivity it works for all... Then again it could even work with non Phone Edition provided you have continuous Internet connectivity through WiFi etc. What really bugs me is the fact that RIM is planning to sell this capability only through carriers and not direct to public. This sort of locks us folks who are very happy with our i700s or XDAs out! Tough luck. Not sure if this approach will ever change but if I can get unlocked Phone Edition devices and choose my carrier why should I be mandated as to which device and carrier I need in order to run the BlackBerry client on my device? Come on RIM, please sell me the BB client direct.

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Here's the thing. If it works on one PPC Phone Edition with GPRS connectivity it works for all...
Welll, the carriers in the US like to test the end-to-end solutions before supporting any of them. I'm sort of glad they did that for Verizon's Wireless Sync, but I can sympathize if you can't install that kind of app on your PC. :(

Then again it could even work with non Phone Edition provided you have continuous Internet connectivity through WiFi etc.
I'm not sure about this. Most Pocket PCs don't "maintain" a Wi-Fi connection even when idle, but most WM2003+ do support dormant 1xRTT/always-on GPRS. Maybe in the future?

Come on RIM, please sell me the BB client direct.
The other problem is RIM doesn't make money off of selling the BB client, but rather partnering with OEMs, so I don't see this happening. :|

--janak

Brad Adrian
07-27-2004, 04:57 PM
...Plus the fact that virtually all Blackberry devices are sold to corporate users. That changes the whole approach to how the product is offerd. Unfortunately, this often leaves the rest of us out in the cold.

k_kirk
07-27-2004, 05:01 PM
...Plus the fact that virtually all Blackberry devices are sold to corporate users. That changes the whole approach to how the product is offerd. Unfortunately, this often leaves the rest of us out in the cold.I am a corporate user and buy BB devices, backend software & client licenses from RIM today. I can't see why they can't sell me the PPC software as a separate entity too...

k_kirk
07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure about this. Most Pocket PCs don't "maintain" a Wi-Fi connection even when idle, but most WM2003+ do support dormant 1xRTT/always-on GPRS. Maybe in the future?
It would still work as long as WiFi connectivity is available. Agreed it would not be as continous as what native BB devices offer through 24 hours GPRS connectivity but it would work.

The other problem is RIM doesn't make money off of selling the BB client, but rather partnering with OEMs, so I don't see this happening. :|
There is a small inaccuracy here. RIM sells client licenses to corporations, it sells backend software as well. They could still make money selling PPC software and let corporations choose which Phone Edition device & carrier they want to use for the GPRS connectivity. Oh well, we'll all wait & see if the pigs fly I guess. Thanks for listening anyways.

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
There is a small inaccuracy here. RIM sells client licenses to corporations, it sells backend software as well.
True, but I'm assuming the big money is in the OEM device licensing. Although BES isn't that cheap...

--janak

jalm1
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
One thing to consider as i read these posts about deciding what device one likes more based on the blackberry connect, is that there are other options for the PPC phones out now, like Good. With Good you get, arguably, a better email client and real time sync with all PIM options. Blackberry curently only does Email and Calendar (although with BES4.0 upgrade due out this fall they will have everything). I know the 6300 series should be certified for Good as soon as it comes out, and from what i have heard, Good will support the wi-fi and GPRS for real time push email no matter what network you are on. Personaly, i am waiting for the 6300, the MPx, looks to small to really be of use to me as a PDA, and way to big of a phone for me to cary, but that is my opinion. But if you are waiting for BB connect, you might want to take a look at Good, and it is out now, and they say they will support all the new devices that come out.

k_kirk
07-27-2004, 05:50 PM
True, but I'm assuming the big money is in the OEM device licensing. Although BES isn't that cheap...

--janakAgreed and this is probably why I will not get what I want....

Jeff Rutledge
07-27-2004, 05:57 PM
One thing to consider as i read these posts about deciding what device one likes more based on the blackberry connect, is that there are other options for the PPC phones out now, like Good. With Good you get, arguably, a better email client and real time sync with all PIM options. Blackberry curently only does Email and Calendar (although with BES4.0 upgrade due out this fall they will have everything). I know the 6300 series should be certified for Good as soon as it comes out, and from what i have heard, Good will support the wi-fi and GPRS for real time push email no matter what network you are on. Personaly, i am waiting for the 6300, the MPx, looks to small to really be of use to me as a PDA, and way to big of a phone for me to cary, but that is my opinion. But if you are waiting for BB connect, you might want to take a look at Good, and it is out now, and they say they will support all the new devices that come out.

That's a good point (no pun intended). I think the main issue is that many enterprises already have invested in a Blackberry infrastructure. I'm in that boat. My company already has a BES and has no plans on changing it (why would they? it does what it's supposed to). So if I want to see my corporate email pushed to my PPC device, I need Blackberry Connect.

jalm1
07-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Jeff,
i understand i am in the same boat, i have a BB and we have BES, but we (as i am sure not to many corps will) have decided to add Good Link as an option. I belive their procing is on a per user basis (i think), unlike BES which has a server cost and then user cost. so i think, for us, it works to add Good, but maybe not everyone.

rzanology
07-27-2004, 06:33 PM
this means i can keep my black berry home, as well as the z600. So it'll be mpx and hx4700 by my side. NIIIIICE!!!!!!!!

soooo...uuuum...can i still get corp e-mail while talking on the phone?

murph
07-27-2004, 07:10 PM
we're using Exchange 2003 Server ActiveSync for the PPC's here, but we're looking at Good Technologies to support the Treo's. I was told Good will NOT be able to support WiFi connections, because I asked about MPX support.

jalm1
07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
murph,
May i ask when did you ask about Wi-Fi from Good? i was talking with them a few weeks ago and they said they were in the process of developing it. but maybe that is just sales speak. but i was told they will suport wi-fi, now maybe that person at Good didnt know what he was talking about.

freitasm
07-27-2004, 07:25 PM
One of the things Verizon provides with the i700 WM2003 upgrade is real always-on email and PDA sync via an IntelliSync solution (and not using Exchange-like SMS mechanisms or ActiveSync).

Interesting comment Janak. I'm using Intellisync on my Phone Edition, and it does exactly like the Exchange AUTD: it sends a SMS to my Phone Edition, which then wake-up and start the Sync program. The only difference is that Intellisync supports other platforms as well (Symbian, Palm), while Exchange AUTD works only with Windows Mobile. For implementation it's actually more expensive because requires additional servers and licences for the client software on each device (not for the operators of course).

There's a solution in the market that actually doesn't use SMS, Smartner. It opens a connection to their server and keep it open. It uses around 10KB/hour receiving information on this connection, and if there's any new e-mail it's send straight away to the device.

murph
07-27-2004, 08:08 PM
jalm1 - this was a couple of weeks ago. one of my issues with Good was that the devices and carriers have to be approved by them. so i was asking about future device support, specifically the MPX, and was told that Good would only work with the GPRS connection of the MPX. the sales guy i spoke with said he had just seen a MPX demo so i assumed he knew what he was talking about. he did not mention Wi-Fi support being "in the works".

like i said, we're only installing Good to support the Treos, so this wasn't a deal-breaker. and everyone here just wants a Treo A.S.A.P. so badly, that they don't even care about trying to find a future-proof solution.

my concern with Good is that a next generation uber-device comes out with the Blackberry Client, and RIM works out some exclusive deal that prevents Good from offering it's service for that device.

We looked at Extended Systems and Intellisynch which support Wi-Fi connections, but Good still won out on price/features.

Jeff Rutledge
07-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Jeff,
i understand i am in the same boat, i have a BB and we have BES, but we (as i am sure not to many corps will) have decided to add Good Link as an option. I belive their procing is on a per user basis (i think), unlike BES which has a server cost and then user cost. so i think, for us, it works to add Good, but maybe not everyone.

So did this require adding something to your backend to support the Good devices? I'm assuming it did. That's the hurdle with my company. There's no interest as the vast majority of our folks are happy with the Berry's.

jalm1
07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes, it does. you will need their server software. i understand how that can be a pain.

jrb
07-28-2004, 12:20 AM
It looks like the MPX will have both GoodLink and BlackBerry support.

"Motorola To Deploy GoodLink Wireless Messaging System On New Motorola MPx"

http://www.good.com/index.php/pr_20040323_a.html

Phoenix
07-28-2004, 08:57 AM
This just further solidifies my decision to purchase an MPx.

Mr. PPC
07-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Yesterday I spoke with a Vodafone Blackberry Engineer here is AUS and learned something interesting.

According to what this guy has been told directly by RIM, the Blackberry Connect software will only synch real-time the inbox, calendar will be desktop sych. If you want full live synching you have to get a RIM device.

He also mentioned that in using the BC software the attachment viewing will be done by the BES system, as it does now. This means you can't see embedded graphics (word, pdf, ppt etc.).

I haven't found anywhere where I can confirm this or not. So if someone here does know diffrently please let me know.

Dave