View Full Version : World's smallest Tablet PC?

jkendrick
07-27-2004, 01:26 AM
I have successfully installed the Tablet OS on a Sony U-70 ultra-portable computer making what I believe is the smallest Tablet PC anywhere (5" screen).

I have published a complete review of the U-70 on my web site which you can find here:

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/07/sony_u70_review.html

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/9109/tablet%20os.JPG

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Nice! I'm glad to see it works. Getting XP Tablet PC Edition on one of these would be a great acquisition indeed. I'm envious now... and I don't get why Sony didn't put XP TPC on it in the first place. :roll:

This might actually be worth a frontpage post. I'll put it up tonight. :)

--janak

jkendrick
07-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Nice! I'm glad to see it works. Getting XP Tablet PC Edition on one of these would be a great acquisition indeed. I'm envious now... and I don't get why Sony didn't put XP TPC on it in the first place. :roll:

This might actually be worth a frontpage post. I'll put it up tonight. :)

--janak

Thanks, Janak. The Sony has a passive digitizer and MS wants Tablet PCs to have active digitizers so that's probably why Sony didn't include it. The only feature you lose is the ability to hover over the screen and move the cursor. Personally I think the active digitizers just eat the batteries quicker. Feel free to take any of the pics from the review you need.

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Ah - good point!

The advantage of an active digitizer is that it's also easier to harden the LCD to prevent damage from heavy pen use. It's probably the case for the OQO at least, whose screen "depressed" with each stylus touch. 8O How's the Sony's screen?

--janak

jkendrick
07-27-2004, 04:28 AM
I'm not using a screen protector yet (it hasn't come in) and with VERY heavy use there's not even a hint of a scratch on it. I get the impression so far the screen will take a lot.