View Full Version : h4700 Perfect With CF/GSM/GPRS Card

jasondearyou
07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I know you teckies out there are dying to make this happen. Having the CF GSM/GPRS cards joined with your h4700, think about it, its the perfect match made in heaven.

You don't need anything else. Some of the cards even have fax recieve and send capabilities on top of voice and gprs.

I know I am goin to do that and I can't wait to see the grin on my face when I could recieve faxes and send faxes on my h4700.

Its a total solution, I am not trying to sell you this but, man, I can't settle for nothing else.

J
Future h4700 owner.

ricoks
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I already have a GSM phone that is GPRS, and EDGE will be coming soon. Then UMTS, which is FAST. This way, I don't have a card that is outdated too soon. Bluetooth was MADE for this, if you ask me!!! With the phone on my belt, I don't notice it anyway!!! :mrgreen:
Ryan

Kowalski
07-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I already have a GSM phone that is GPRS, and EDGE will be coming soon. Then UMTS, which is FAST. This way, I don't have a card that is outdated too soon. Bluetooth was MADE for this, if you ask me!!! With the phone on my belt, I don't notice it anyway

same here. i dont find phone edition pocket PCs handfull. i dont like convergence devices at all. a phone is a phone, a pda is a pda. and even with a card sticking out of the device and increasing the size of the unit (it is big enough withouth a card) i dont find this a good idea
i am happy with my SE z600 coupled by BT

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
I know you teckies out there are dying to make this happen. Having the CF GSM/GPRS cards joined with your h4700, think about it, its the perfect match made in heaven.
I'm not sure about the battery life, though -- can you receive calls while in suspend mode?

same here. i dont find phone edition pocket PCs handfull. i dont like convergence devices at all. a phone is a phone, a pda is a pda.
Say what? Our phones today are more powerful than PDAs from a few years ago. Convergence is happening, whether you like it or not. Perhaps not to the point where Pocket PC Phones are dominant, but if you haven't noticed, PDA phones are growing quite popular.

--janak

jasondearyou
07-27-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm sure you can do that, at least the screen would be off and only when a call comes in would the screen be activated, but currently I think it's a good ideah since there's really no software that really pushes the h4700, and there isn't a PPCP out there that has the capable speed that I need for normal computing, I really don't like that waiting to process thing that comes up because the CPU isn't fast enough.

I think I would accept this disadvantage of battery life, if battery life is more than 4 hours I wouldn't mind. It just sucks that only t-mobile is having access to the h63XX, not to mention that the processing speed is rediculous for all that connectivity, I'm sure people would get lots of lock up with that, because of the slow processor.

Does anyone know whether or not that phone could be unlocked on the web? Or hacked?

J

JimPAQ
07-27-2004, 06:55 PM
You can already do this with the 2215. I will pay about $200 for the GSM/GPRS card and save my self $600 by not buying the 4700. Especially since HP has decided not to upgrade existing units, and jacked the price of the 4700 up at the last minute. But I'm not bitter about it or any thing like that. :wink:

maximus
07-28-2004, 01:31 AM
I think I would accept this disadvantage of battery life, if battery life is more than 4 hours I wouldn't mind.

From a user of Dell Axim X5 + Audiovox RTM8000 GPRS CF card.
On the normal 1400 mah battery with screen off, I can get around 8-10 hours of normal operation (around 50 smses, several phone calls, several GPRS connections, games, oggs). 12 hours if I dont use GPRS.

With the 3400mah battery ... from 6 AM to 10 PM, I usually ended up with 50%-40% charge.

I assume newer PDAs with Windows Mobile 2003 will have a longer operation time.

Janak Parekh
07-28-2004, 03:45 AM
On the normal 1400 mah battery with screen off, I can get around 8-10 hours of normal operation (around 50 smses, several phone calls, several GPRS connections, games, oggs). 12 hours if I dont use GPRS.
Just for a point of reference, with my i700's 2000mAh (extended) battery I can have always-on 1xRTT all day long with Blackberry-style push email enabled (9am until, say, midnight), make/receive some calls, use the PDA, and I'm at about 60-70% of the battery. If I just use it as a phone, I'm at 90-100% at the end of the day. The key is that the PDA can shut off entirely while using the phone portion (or while you're idling, waiting for calls), reducing power requirements greatly. In fact, I can hit the power button on the i700 while I'm in the middle of a call, and default power management instructs the PDA part to turn off if I don't touch the screen/buttons while I'm talking.

But indeed, it depends on what you need. If you want the power, the GSM/GPRS card may be good for the task. However, there is a compromise on the other end -- no vibrate (which is another killer feature for me), less battery life, no integrated headset. My officemate (Suhit) is always upset that there isn't the "perfect combination" yet. I think many power users agree with him. ;)

--janak

maximus
07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
My officemate (Suhit) is always upset that there isn't the "perfect combination" yet. I think many power users agree with him. ;)

--janak

Agreed. I always want a device that can do all, with at least 16-24 hours on a single charge. Perhaps the mpx220/MPX can finally be the one.

spinedoc
07-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Why no CDMA card? I have a 2215 with a CF2031 compact flash CDMA card which works awesome. I will be using this CF card with my Asus 730.

jasondearyou
07-29-2004, 02:57 PM
I think I would accept this disadvantage of battery life, if battery life is more than 4 hours I wouldn't mind.

I assume newer PDAs with Windows Mobile 2003 will have a longer operation time.

Aha! bang and the pessemist loose.

I know that this would be a perfect solution. And that's what I'm going to do, i'm gonna beat HP at their own freakin game. I could beat that 63XX. A powerful PPC with the total communications solution.

And for all out there who settles for less, I think i'll get the phone device and wait another four years before I get another device.

:devilboy:

jasondearyou
07-29-2004, 02:59 PM
that is h4700 with CF GSM/GPRS card, and wait another four years before I even think about another device.

OneAngryDwarf
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Janek... maybe i'm confused by your question but yes you can use the phone while connected to the internet over BT... don't be so sure about the convergence you are seeing... I agree with wanting things separate... i want a small phone and a pda... i don't need the PDA all the time and want my phone at all times and there is no way in this world i'm wearing a scottevest so that isn't gonna change anytime soon. Now you are going to say well you'll be able to have the power of a pda in a phone that is small... however then i lose the size and user interface that i so love in a ppc... thats great if a phone has that stuff but its a pain in the butt to use in a small unit... In the future i think you will see very powerful phones which might be the hub to your devices... i'm sure it will be a full blown music player and a full camera replacement (megapixels and zoom all in one package) but we will continue to have something that performs similarly to a ppc... perhaps it will be a dumb terminal that interfaces with the phone but it will be separate... until tech changes beyond our capabilities today you will not be able to get the best of both worlds without two devices (those both worlds being size/portability and functionality/interface)

Janak Parekh
08-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Janek... maybe i'm confused by your question but yes you can use the phone while connected to the internet over BT... don't be so sure about the convergence you are seeing...
What I am referring to is the fact that not only can the data connection be maintained, but it can monitor for things like new email, so that when new email is pushed the PDA can retrieve it without waking everything up, thereby reducing battery usage. I haven't seen this work with a Bluetooth setup.

I agree with wanting things separate... i want a small phone and a pda... i don't need the PDA all the time and want my phone at all times and there is no way in this world i'm wearing a scottevest so that isn't gonna change anytime soon.
I'm using the term "convergence" more loosely. Even the average cell phone is getting smarter. Plus, I can now pick up an i600 Smartphone on the market today -- it's a standard-sized flip phone -- and have always-on email and PDA functionalities like the one I described above.

Now you are going to say well you'll be able to have the power of a pda in a phone that is small... however then i lose the size and user interface that i so love in a ppc... thats great if a phone has that stuff but its a pain in the butt to use in a small unit...
Well, some people feel the Treo 600 formfactor is near-ideal. In any case, sure, multiple devices are fine, but functionalities are converging.

perhaps it will be a dumb terminal that interfaces with the phone but it will be separate... until tech changes beyond our capabilities today you will not be able to get the best of both worlds without two devices (those both worlds being size/portability and functionality/interface)
Absolutely, why not. ;)

--janak