View Full Version : Dave's iPAQ Reviews the h6300 Pocket PC

Jason Dunn
07-26-2004, 06:05 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://davesipaq.com/articles/000079/iPAQ_h6300_reviews' target='_blank'>http://davesipaq.com/articles/00007...Q_h6300_reviews</a><br /><br /></div><i>"It is Monday July 26th at 6:00am in the morning and my new iPAQ h6300 alarm goes off as I hit the snooze for another 15 minutes. Before I knew it my alarm went off again and I was delighted to lay comfortably in my bed, as I make a connection via wirelessly on my 802.11 network. I immediately connect into my corporate network via VPN and log into my Microsoft Exchange email...The iPAQ h6300 is probably one of the most advanced Pocket PC phones available in the market today. Since I have been using this iPAQ for some time I was able to put it through the paces and really get a feel of the unit. In our review we will go over four different elements of this phone such as design, wireless definitions, software included, and functionality."</i><br /><br />Well, here's the first review of the iPAQ 6300 that I've seen. I've had NDA information about this device for quite some time, which is why we've been linking to a <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&inv_id=31001143129607&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">pre-order page</a> while others were claiming it didn't even exist (and criticizing those who did :roll:). The unfortunate truth is that I declined to sign the new agreement for HP's enthusiast program (their terms were outrageous), so mere weeks before the new devices were coming out, I no longer had the opportunity to get the new hardware for review - more on this situation later this week.<br /><br />At any rate, check out Dave's review - it's detailed and if you're a connectivity junkie, this is your dream Pocket PC. It's not the most powerful one on the block, but it does what it does very well indeed. There's also a rather...gentle <a href="http://davesipaq.com/articles/000000/iPAQ_rz1700_review">review of the rz1700</a>. You can tell Dave likes iPAQs no matter how ugly they are... :lol:

Jack Cook
07-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks for posting Jason...it was a pretty neat review!!

arnage2
07-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Dave was giving me flack this afternoon about the 6300 not being official, being pureley a rumor, and he almost implied that it didnt exist

sooby77
07-26-2004, 06:23 AM
That was exactly what I was looking for and lo and behold, the link is posted on pocketpcthoughts! Contemplating between 4700 and 6300... Now we just need a detailed review of 4700! :)

DavesiPAQ
07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
We should have the review soon on the site...It is not easy..Kudos to Jason for posting it.

spireview
07-26-2004, 06:56 AM
I've read both reviews and left the site wondering if Dave really had a unit to test in front if him.

DavesiPAQ
07-26-2004, 06:59 AM
That's weird didn't you look at all of the photos? Look at the one with the ipaq in the case with our davesipaq today screen...We have them all...

Delta737
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
The article doesn't say if it has WM2003SE, it just says WM2003! Does anyone know if it has SE on it, if not it would be a big shame!

Nikhil
07-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I believe HP went with 2003 (not SE) because of all the testing T-Mobile most likely had to do...adding 2003SE would have served as an additional delay in launchtime.

Delta737
07-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Yet another review!
http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=440

Jonathan1
07-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Jason. If you are willing or allowed to say, without stepping on any relationships with HP of course, what was outrageous about their terms? I'd be salivating to see the latest releases of HP no matter the cost. Then again I guess I should never underestimate the bull factor a company can put you through to let you see their wares. :confused totally:

Stake
07-26-2004, 09:04 AM
I just saw that the thumboard is not backlit! I think that's a huge mistake! In very dim places, it limits you to using the screen for text entry. What are you supposed to do in those really long, boring presentation meetings while your friends are punching out messages on their Blackberries! :lol:

I also grossly underestimated the size of that keyboard attachment. You can use the thumboard as a stand! I was also surprised with the really lackluster performance of the processor. I didn't expect it to perform that poor. I guess playing game emulators is out of the question. The camera is pretty much useless like the one on my phone. Not surprised there. Another surprise is the quality of the screen. HPs been pretty good with their screens.

Good surprises...the good battery life and the support for audio through a BT headset. Voice Command is a nice touch. :) However, I do question the battery life for a power user on a typical day/week.

All we need to see is now is how the MPx and the MDA III performs...waiting is never fun. :(

bnycastro
07-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Just finished readin both reviews! I must say the h63xx looks promising however I am confused? Isn't it true that hp said it would support WM2003SE on all new devices (this was their excuse or answer to questions on supporting current models); now here comes a new model and it has no SE? So I guess curbing potential loss of sales is more important than developing/supporting an upgrade (then why aren't they offering upgrades for current models; I'm sure a lot of people won't be buying iPAQs, not me of course, I'm still getting an iPAQ however I'll be getting one with the next major OS release hehehe :D )

acetuk
07-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Well I hate you now... I do... I really do!! :D

I had got myself in to a confused state - buy a E800 Wifi and enjoy the VGA screen that I want and some nice memory at quite a good price (about £320 new), buy a X30 and have Bluetooth and Wifi with speed but no VGA at an even better price or bite the bullet and buy a 4700 and have everything I want but at quite a price (about £460 I've seen quoted but obviously with no stock available yet).

Now I am seriously thinking about the 6300. I do want a VGA screen but I am getting a little tired of carrying around some many devices. I truly hadn't considered the device until now but it looks very good. The idea of everything bar the VGA screen in one device looks fantastic.

I suppose an option at some point in the future, it is exists, would be a 4700 / X30 / E800 with some sort of GSM phone addition. Hmmm... even more to think about!

Damn... I'm even more confused now!!

Thanks guys... and thanks to HP... too much data to compute... I still hate you... I do... I really do... :lol:

PR.
07-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Never mind this where is the review for the 4700????!!!!! :D

acetuk
07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
I know what you mean... I'm watching a few well known sites for a review as I am beginning to lean towards the 4700 (until I read a review anyway) or a 6300.

Money not being a problem of cause!!

If only :lol:

JPack
07-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Just finished readin both reviews! I must say the h63xx looks promising however I am confused? Isn't it true that hp said it would support WM2003SE on all new devices (this was their excuse or answer to questions on supporting current models); now here comes a new model and it has no SE?

I'm quite certain SE isn't on there due to time constraints. There was a response on HowardForums essentially saying that the h6300 had already been delayed in order to ensure that all software issues were resolved.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?postid=2941867

gorkon280
07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
The 6300 will be my next PDA and I will lovingly give my wife my 4355. I have always thought I would be a two device pserson, but by adding BT to this PDA, that seals it. I only hope they did not pull a stupid move by not including a profile that let's you use the 6300 as a modem for your BT equipped laptop. I only hope the price is right. I know T-Mobile's Data Price is excellent! :D

c38b2
07-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I only read the introduction and I am hoping that it was merely a plausable scenario, not something that actually happened, due to the enormous amount of distraction IMing and emailing someone on a PPC while driving can be. PPCs, for the most part, cannot be operated with one handed making things like steering impossible when driving and operating a device like this. 8O

Anyways, it seems like a very nice device and the plausable scenario sounds impressive and efficient. Nice review Dave. :)

Kai920
07-26-2004, 12:14 PM
I just saw that the thumboard is not backlit! I think that's a huge mistake! In very dim places, it limits you to using the screen for text entry. What are you supposed to do in those really long, boring presentation meetings while your friends are punching out messages on their Blackberries! :lol: This would indeed be a big mistake! Can't see how hard it would have been to draw a little power out of the connector for a bit of light.

I also grossly underestimated the size of that keyboard attachment. You can use the thumboard as a stand! I was also surprised with the really lackluster performance of the processor. I didn't expect it to perform that poor. I guess playing game emulators is out of the question. The camera is pretty much useless like the one on my phone. Not surprised there. Another surprise is the quality of the screen. HPs been pretty good with their screens.:lol: you're right, the clip on KB could, and probably would serve as a stand. I too was also surprised with the processor's performance, but I guess it's a tradeoff for the long battery life. I wouldn't say the camera is useless; I had a similar 0.3MP cam on my Zire 71 that I liked to use to snap random photos ;) It has its niche...

Don't like the subpar screen though. Is it worth having better readeability outdoors in exchange for washed out colors?

Good surprises...the good battery life and the support for audio through a BT headset. Voice Command is a nice touch. :) However, I do question the battery life for a power user on a typical day/week.Agreed on both points! I think support for audio thru BT headsets is a result of BT 1.2, no?

All we need to see is now is how the MPx and the MDA III performs...waiting is never fun.As far as the MDAIII goes, do you know if it's going to come with WM2003 SE?

Other advantages of the MDAIII over the HP6300:
-faster CPU
-more memory
-slide-out keyboard
-no protruding antenna

But the tradeoffs are (possibly) worse battery life, and no audio/VC thru bt headset due to BT 1.1.

ARGH, seriously... I wish they would combine the best features of both units... or, maybe they already HAVE, and it's called MPx :mrgreen:

tdeleonw
07-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Yet another review!
http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=440

That review is by far a ton better than the review on Dave's iPAQ. The pictures in PocketNows review is heeps better and gives the user a more pictorial comparision of other devices. The review is much better and nicely laid out.

Nikhil
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
[quote=Stake]

Don't like the subpar screen though. Is it worth having better readeability outdoors in exchange for washed out colors?

Definitely, especially on a phone device where you need to be able to read the screen in order to dial; if the screen was washed out outdoors, then dialing a phone number would be harder.

Nikhil
07-26-2004, 12:51 PM
PCMag.com has reviews of the 4 new units along with pictures...the 4700 looks beautiful (the flip lid looks annoying...it's like the Journada lid meets that annoying side-flip iPAQ lid). The touchpad is made by Synaptics.

Solid reviews though.

Ryan Joseph
07-26-2004, 01:19 PM
The camera is pretty much useless like the one on my phone. Not surprised there.

Don't count the camera out just yet. My i-mate has the same 0.3MP camera in it and I use it all the time...not for taking "memory pictures" that I want to keep, but for something a little more fun.

One of my favorite things to do with it is snap a picture while I'm away somewhere and email it back to everyone at home. They love getting real-time images sent from me and the low resolution of the camera allows me to email it relatively fast even over GPRS.

The funniest thing is reading the reactions of people who have never seen live pictures emailed before. They are blown away and demand to know how I did that. :mrgreen:

Kai920
07-26-2004, 01:20 PM

Definitely, especially on a phone device where you need to be able to read the screen in order to dial; if the screen was washed out outdoors, then dialing a phone number would be harder.

I guess that would make sense, I mean, HP's engineers purposefully put this screen on the phone pda for a reason right? This would lead me to believe they have done extensive tests to conclude that a wash out screen IS better!

Here's the link to the PCMAG.com article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1626981,00.asp

"Opening a 47K Microsoft Word attachment in the mail application summoned the whirling wait cursor for noticeably longer than it did on our Axim X3i, and managing a long list of e-mail felt a bit gummy."

That sounds a LOT like what I experience with my XDA I. My PPC has a Intel StrongARM SA-1110 206 MHz, so would I be expecting about the same performance from the 6300?

Paragon
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm very curious to know how this device handles handing of between GSM and WiFi? Have T-Mobile and HP solved the issues of soft handoffs?

Dave

DaleReeck
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
*sigh* Delayed again. It was supposed to be first half of August, now it's August 26th according to the web page below. Which means you probably won't actually be able to get one in your hands until early September. It's only two-three weeks longer but still, how much longer are they going to keep pushing this thing off? :evil:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1884585454.1090844718@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadcmdlgkflecfngcfkmdflldfjl.0&category=handhelds&subcat1=handhelds&catLevel=3&product_code=FA239A%23ABA

JPack
07-26-2004, 02:11 PM
[quote="Nikhil"][quote=Kai920]
Here's the link to the PCMAG.com article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1626981,00.asp

"Opening a 47K Microsoft Word attachment in the mail application summoned the whirling wait cursor for noticeably longer than it did on our Axim X3i, and managing a long list of e-mail felt a bit gummy."

I just realized that processor speed may have changed. All the previous info including the HP datasheets indicated 200 MHz.

PC Mag (tested pre-production unit) is saying "The TI processor, with a speed below 200 MHz, is optimized to save power...."

HPShopping says 168 MHz.

Nikhil
07-26-2004, 02:24 PM
As I understand it, the 168MHz processor was the prototype speed.

Also, according to ZDNet news, the phone will be available from HP and T-Mobile August 26th for $499 with a new 1 year activation, $599 for current subscribers. Not too bad, on par with the Treo 600 (actually $100 cheaper for current subscribers...palmOne is charging $699 for current T-Mo subscribers).

fmcpherson
07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Is the PC Mag article right that the HP6300 doesn't have a speakerphone?

DavesiPAQ
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
The h6300 does have speakerphone. Also Paragon the unit handled the Wi-Fi and GSM extremely well from my tests. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jason Dunn
07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Jason. If you are willing or allowed to say, without stepping on any relationships with HP of course, what was outrageous about their terms? I'd be salivating to see the latest releases of HP no matter the cost. Then again I guess I should never underestimate the bull factor a company can put you through to let you see their wares. :confused totally:

I'll be making a front page post about it later this week to explain why we're not getting any hardware from them to review, but also why we've been able to post on leaked info sent to us rather than only linking to other sites.

Let's focus on the 6300 in this thread. :-)

Rudolf
07-26-2004, 03:26 PM
As I understand it, the 168MHz processor was the prototype speed.
AFAIK OMAP 1510 contains a DSP which runs at 200MHz, while the core chip runs at 168MHz. That's what causing the confusion. I doubt that TI created a faster version form such and old chip.

jasondearyou
07-26-2004, 03:41 PM
That is just totally rediculous. this is the best pocket pc forum available, and i'm sure (at least for me) this site influences alot of buyers.

Lets make this site better, so that we could demand much more respect and consideration from other sites and OEMs.

Don't give in Jason, lets be strong in the face of adversity.

:)

Jonathan1
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote from the PC Mag's preview of the 4700.
he hx4700 is an investment in the future. HP has supplied the hardware for the next-generation Pocket PC experience. Now it's time for Microsoft and other ven-dors to step up to the plate with software worthy of this machine.

Amen.

DaleReeck
07-26-2004, 03:50 PM
For a chance at the 6300 early, I'd become an HP whore, no problem :D

ID64
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
"As I am driving to work I turn on my iPAQ h6300 and log into AOL Instant Messenger which is bundled with the unit and send an instant message to my assistant telling her about the mistake"

My favorite :twisted:

You don't suppose to do anything wiht your phone or pocket pc while you drive! I am so sick of the people talking one the phone without hannsfree. Imagine, if everyone will start typing while they're behind the wheel.

mkheraj
07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Dave,

Do you know if the WIFI supports WPA?

Thanks,

Murad

Paragon
07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Also Paragon the unit handled the Wi-Fi and GSM extremely well from my tests. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

How does it handle the handoff from GSM to WiFi? If I'm connected to the internet via GSM and come withing range of WiFi do I have to drop the GSM and reconnect to WiFi? Or did they come up with a way to do a *soft* or automatic handoff?

DavesiPAQ
07-26-2004, 05:57 PM
It depends if you set your "home Wi-Fi" connection as what I call a friendly preffered network. If it is, then it will be seemless to the end user. If I were to walk into a tmobile hotspot it will alert me that it detects a Wi-Fi network and if I want to connect to it because it is a "new" WiFi connection.

beq
07-26-2004, 07:11 PM
^ I'm also interested in the soft hand-off capability (possibilities for VoIP). The CNet article mentions a specific network infrastructure change made by T-Mobile to support this (and that the 6315 has been codeveloped by HP and T-Mo). So I guess it won't work on Cingular or ATTWS (even if you could get an unlocked 6315), and no other PPC PE will do this either even on T-Mobile's network?

I'm also curious if T-Mobile uses the 850MHz band at all for GSM in the USA?

As far as the MDAIII goes, do you know if it's going to come with WM2003 SE?
Hi can I infer from your question that it is already known that the MPx will not have Second Edition just like the 6315 then? So MDA III is the only unknown?

Edit: Whoops never mind I just saw the several posts here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30493&start=10#267986). So the MPx will have SE, and unknown for MDA III, hmm...

Kai920
07-27-2004, 02:41 AM
As far as the MDAIII goes, do you know if it's going to come with WM2003 SE?
Hi can I infer from your question that it is already known that the MPx will not have Second Edition just like the 6315 then? So MDA III is the only unknown?

Edit: Whoops never mind I just saw the several posts here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30493&start=10#267986). So the MPx will have SE, and unknown for MDA III, hmm...

Yeah, the MPx should definitely have 2003SE because it was designed to be operated in both orientations...

Wonder if we can count on HP for providing an upgrade?? :grumble:

bnycastro
07-27-2004, 03:46 AM

My point exactly in my earlier post! This is a new model and if they didn't put SE so they could roll-out the product faster then maybe they should offer the upgrade for free (they did say they would support SE on new models)... hopefully they are working on it right now :roll: and it would be out (the upgrade) in a few months (3 to 6?)

dhettel
07-29-2004, 08:41 PM

My point exactly in my earlier post! This is a new model and if they didn't put SE so they could roll-out the product faster then maybe they should offer the upgrade for free (they did say they would support SE on new models)... hopefully they are working on it right now :roll: and it would be out (the upgrade) in a few months (3 to 6?)

:roll: Get it in writing, sure 128 MB of RAM, and 400 MHz of speed in a 5555 can not support Windows Mobile SE, but 55 MB and 200 MHz will? Right, I have a bridge I'm selling.....

Paragon
07-29-2004, 09:02 PM
:roll: Get it in writing, sure 128 MB of RAM, and 400 MHz of speed in a 5555 can not support Windows Mobile SE, but 55 MB and 200 MHz will? Right, I have a bridge I'm selling.....

David, I think you missed what HP is saying. They didn't say that previous models couldn't support it. They have said they as a company won't support it. In fact we know that previous models will support it, since they were flashing devices at one of the Mobile Developer conferences. I agree though, I would want it in writing before I believed they were going to offer it on the 6300.

Dave

randyzon
09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
I've found:

That my 6315 will not synch unless it has a soft-reset just before putting it in the cradle.

The cables and chargers for earlier Ipaq models are compatible so there is a great selection.

The speaker is very weak.

The ring tones are almost inaudible when the unit is in the belt pouch.

The belt pouch is enormous to accomodate the unit when the keypad is attached. The Audiovox PPC4100 belt pouch is much smaller so I have ordered one for $17.95 +shipping. I'll let you know how it fits.

Costco has 512 mb SD cards for $79.99.

Sprite (iPAQ) backup has a premium upgrade for the HP6315 for only $10 on their website.

Synch does not indicate what issues are not resolved. I've used the options to over write the desk top computer and the device to no avail. It would be handy if I was able to identify the unresolved issue and take care of it instead having to see the "1 unresolved item" report.

It would be handy if I could change the target of an icon thru the property menu.

Some websites do not recognize what I enter into the user name and password fields.

It would be great if there was an icon to access running programs in order to shut them down or make the "X", reduce, and restore buttons have the same functions as those in the regular microsoft OS.

I would also like the ability to set the location of the "send to" folders for each type of file rather than having to do it each time I download or store something.

bnycastro
09-04-2004, 02:48 AM
It would be handy if I could change the target of an icon thru the property menu. don't know if this is possible... I do know that you can make your own shortcuts for apps. try RESCO EXPLORER 2003. I think you can also make shortcuts when you're exploring yor PPC via Activesync on your desktop.

It would be great if there was an icon to access running programs in order to shut them down or make the "X", reduce, and restore buttons have the same functions as those in the regular microsoft OS. You could use the iTASK button to see what's running, switch from app to app,close apps, launch some apps (in ROM apps). If you want to have the same functionality as the regular windows 'x' buttons you could try LakeRidge Soft's WISBAR Advance (It's actually a skinning thingie with extra functionalities; it's free. However am not sure if they have made it 100% compatible with PPC Phone Ed) Another option is SPB Pocket Plus it has a lot of goodies including a today plugin, internet explorer enhancements, 'x' button, etc etc.

I would also like the ability to set the location of the "send to" folders for each type of file rather than having to do it each time I download or store something.Hmmm... when I dl something the device usually prompts me were I want to store the file.

randyzon
09-08-2004, 10:39 PM
I was able to correct the username and password access problem to secure webpages by installing NetFront v3.1 for Pocket PC with JV-Lite2 for about $30. The browser is very nice.

I was able to correct a lot of other usability issues with Spb Pocket Plus and Journal Bar.

Godbless those that can see past microsoft.