View Full Version : Toshiba Posts e805 And e405 WM2003SE Upgrades In US, Finally!

Janak Parekh
07-24-2004, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=809035&moid=513363' target='_blank'>http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...035&moid=513363</a><br /><br /></div>It's about time! I was just thinking about downloading the European or Canadian update, when news of a US release dropped into my mailbox. I'm downloading it now, and you can too via the above link. :D<br /><br />(e405 owners: click <a href="http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=809036&amp;moid=513365">here</a> for the download.)

gregmills
07-24-2004, 07:25 AM
What do suppose is the likelihood that an SE upgrade for the 750/755 is up next?

Janak Parekh
07-24-2004, 07:36 AM
What do suppose is the likelihood that an SE upgrade for the 750/755 is up next?
Pretty much zero. The e805 is the one device that's begging for an SE update, since it finally enables native VGA mode.

--janak

gregmills
07-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Pretty much zero. The e805 is the one device that's begging for an SE update, since it finally enables native VGA mode.

--janak

And yet, they released an update for the e405? I asked a phone support about rep about the possibility of an SE upgrade for the e750 a few weeks ago and the response was something like "watch the support section of the web site for a bulletin." That's certianly not something I would bank on but it's a far cry from ruling out the possibilty.

I can hope :D

Darius Wey
07-24-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm impressed. Even the e405 managed to get an upgrade. Hopefully, HP should be taking note of Toshiba's action. 8)

outdoor
07-24-2004, 10:37 AM
i so wished i have bought the e805 instead of 4100 :(

Len Egan
07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
I downloaded and installed the Europeon version back in June. Is there any difference that you can tell?

arebelspy
07-24-2004, 12:51 PM
No, they're the exact same boot up screen, same number of bytes, etc.

-arebelspy

airpete
07-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Is it possible to downgrade if I don't like it? I'm enjoying having everything so tiny, but I'd still like to try this anyway, if I can go back.
Also, using this doesn't void the warranty since it's the US version (like my 800), right?

- Pete

netboy_my
07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Before the e800 was flashed to WM2003SE, there's an option in WM2003 that will allow user to switch the screen to high-res. After I helped my friend to flashed it to WM2003SE, the option is gone. Anyone had the same problem?

Marcel_Proust
07-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Is it possible to downgrade if I don't like it? I'm enjoying having everything so tiny, but I'd still like to try this anyway, if I can go back.
Also, using this doesn't void the warranty since it's the US version (like my 800), right?

- Pete
Go to the Brighthand or PocketPCtools forums where this topic has been discussed to death.
I don't believe there is any significant difference in the US version and people have been upgrading for a while now from the other sites.
The general consensus is that this upgrade is a big Microsoft dud, however it does suit some people's needs.
Many e805 owners, like myself, have upgraded, but have gone back to using myVGA with gives more flexibility except that general screen fonts are sometimes too small (especially in Inbox for me.)

DaleReeck
07-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Before the e800 was flashed to WM2003SE, there's an option in WM2003 that will allow user to switch the screen to high-res. After I helped my friend to flashed it to WM2003SE, the option is gone. Anyone had the same problem?

It's not a problem, it's by design. Windows SE is a native VGA OS. It runs in VGA all the time and a switcher isn't necessary. Non-VGA apps (also called QVGA) are supported by the OS using pixel doubling (every pixel is doubled in non-VGA apps to fill the screen). You can tell that the unit is in VGA mode by just looking at the screen. All the fonts are a lot sharper and smoother than they were before the update to SE.

Of course, this means that some apps (like Mapopolis for instance) won't work right and others work only partially right, but may have artifacts or font fuzziness. These apps will have to be updated to VGA support. Most apps though, especially games, work great. But a lot of people decided to "downgrade" back to regular WM2003 and the ability to switch between VGA and QVGA until SE is better supported by third party applications.

DiGiTYZED
07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
I've been waiting for this upgrade for a while now. Now I'm hesitant to install it. I remember when Windows Mobile 2003 dropped and I went and coped the WM2K3 version of the e755, but ended up returning it days later because some programs weren't WM2K3 compatible yet (Dashboard, some Wi-Fi sniffers, etc).

Will I face this same dilemma with WM2K3 SE? If so, will I be able to get by even if I upgrade (being that WM2K3 SE won't be widely support)?

TIA

Janak Parekh
07-24-2004, 06:54 PM
And yet, they released an update for the e405? I asked a phone support about rep about the possibility of an SE upgrade for the e750 a few weeks ago and the response was something like "watch the support section of the web site for a bulletin." That's certianly not something I would bank on but it's a far cry from ruling out the possibilty.

Of course you can hope. ;) The e405 came out after the e755, though -- it came out around the same time as the e805 and is the "latest generation" from Toshiba.

--janak

Timothy Huber
07-24-2004, 07:41 PM

It's always running in VGA mode in WM2003SE, hence there's no need to switch resolutions. Lots of information on this in the e800 forum on www.brighthand.com

Tim

davis77
07-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Here is information about the e805 Rom update.

I went ahead and updated with it and doesnt appear to be any different. Its still the 409 Ozone Update as the screen reads when you reboot.

The only difference I could gather was that the download contained the Clearvue apps as well as the Text To Speech and Voice Command apps bundled with it.

So it may be worth downloading so that you have SE versions of the apps that came with your original store CDROM.

Thanks Toshiba for following through!

Stephen Beesley
07-25-2004, 05:35 PM

Of course you can hope. ;) The e405 came out after the e755, though -- it came out around the same time as the e805 and is the "latest generation" from Toshiba.

--janak

I agree that it is unlikely that the e755 is going to get an SE upgrade (although I can live in hope as my recently purchased e755 is "in Transit" to me as I type :D), but there is some word from Toshiba that there will be some "other updates" for the e75x series. It is anyone's guess what they could be but probaly some final bug fixes etc before the model is abondoned in terms of software updates.

Even though I would have liked the ability to switch from Landscape to Portrait on the fly and maybe the improved PIE fit to page but I think that even without these the e755 is still a very good device. And hey it is good company as far as a lack of upgrade goes - look at all the sad recent HP purchasers.....

The PocketTV Team
08-03-2004, 06:46 AM
I don't think you can roll-back from the 2003SE upgrade.

The PocketTV Team
08-03-2004, 06:48 AM
I've been waiting for this upgrade for a while now. Now I'm hesitant to install it. I remember when Windows Mobile 2003 dropped and I went and coped the WM2K3 version of the e755, but ended up returning it days later because some programs weren't WM2K3 compatible yet (Dashboard, some Wi-Fi sniffers, etc).
Applications that are not 2003SE compatible will (most likely) work fine as long as you run them in Portrait orientation, and that you don't rotate the screen while using them. They will probably not run well in Landscape orientation, and will certainely not support on-the-fly rotation.

Fishie
08-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I don't think you can roll-back from the 2003SE upgrade.

You can, I did it myself.
The rom is/was posted alongside the SE rom on Toshiba´s Euro site.

zohaer21
08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
hi
im new to ppc... but seems that hp is not releasing upgrade to win 2003 SE for 2210...is it possible for me to flash a 2003 SE upgrade rom from toshiba etc? and what problems may i have if i do so
thanks

Janak Parekh
08-11-2004, 05:52 PM
im new to ppc... but seems that hp is not releasing upgrade to win 2003 SE for 2210...is it possible for me to flash a 2003 SE upgrade rom from toshiba etc? and what problems may i have if i do so
No way. The update software will probably check if it's an e805. Even if it didn't, forcing it onto your 2215 would trash it completely. The hardware is extremely different.

Sorry. :(

--janak