View Full Version : Persistent Bluetooth Connections? Is it possible?

hangnail
07-23-2004, 10:58 PM
You know... I remember years ago when my tech buddies where telling me about "bluetooth" and how cool it was going to be. They told me stories about how your palm would have internet access while your cell phone is in your pocket. They said that you'd sit at your desk and the palm in your brief case would start autosyncing with your desktop.

Let's face it. Bluetooth just hasn't lived up to this promise. For one major reason, it seems that we always have to manually initiate bluetooth connections! Why is that?

What's also interesting is that we seem to not care. Our WIFI doesn't require us to reconnect when we turn our computers on, it just works. Why do we expect less from bluetooth?

It seems like a really good idea for a 3rd party PPC app. A better bluetooth manager that automatically connects to other paired devices.

For example. When I turn on my little blue tooth gps reciever and my Ipaq, these devices are already paired. There is no reason that I should have to open the ipaq bluetooth manager and manually connect the devices.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop... maybe there is a solution I don't already know about.

yanathin
07-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I totally agree with you... Connecting to a device to access the internet shouldn't be any different than conencting to a WiFi spot. I would love it if all I had to do was turn on Bluetooth and it automatically detects AND connects to my device.

Hmm, but there would also be a downside to that... If Bluetooth were to constantly check for paired devices while it was on, I bet it would put a much larger strain on the battery. Don't forget how much WiFi takes up...

But you're right, a 3rd party app or something like that would be nice. I would just want it to automatically connect to my phone when I turn Bluetooth on, because there is not a single time I use my iPAQ without my phone about 3 feet away. Maybe not auto-detect, but just a forced attempt to connect. And if for some reason my phone isn't there, it won't connect and it gives up. Done. I don't see why somebody hasn't made something like that...

Kowalski
07-24-2004, 08:52 PM
They told me stories about how your palm would have internet access while your cell phone is in your pocket.
i do this all the time :wink:

hdsalinas
07-26-2004, 05:25 AM
I agree

I have been using BT for two weeks now and although I love it, my heart still belong to Wifi.

Why can’t I tell my ipaq to connect to my Bluetooth LAN connection any time I need internet or network access.

I think it would be great if someone could write a BT application that would take care of that. It could also let you disconnect and reconnect by just clicking on a start menu icon.

For example, say you are browsing the internet on your ipaq, you load a website that you are going to read for 3 minutes but during this 3 minutes you don’t need the BT on, so then why have it on? Just load the webpage, disconnect BT, read the web content, the when you click on a link it reconnects again. You could probably set it to disconnect after 15 or 30 seconds and just reconnects when PIE request an internet connection.

My $ 0.02.

Paladin27
07-28-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm confused, I do this all the time. As long as I leave my bluetooth radio on in my h5555, if I open PIE or Messenger it automatically dials my cellphone and loads up GPRS just fine, when I close the app that initiated the GPRS connection, it disconnects from my T610 and I'm good to go.

hdsalinas
07-28-2004, 08:35 PM
yes but that is when you are using using a BT phone. What we are talking about is to connect to the network (my desktop) and use it as the default internet connection.

If I dont establish the internet connection first it attempts to connect via dial up but I dont have/want a dial up ISP.

All I want is for my PPC to automatically turn BT on (if is not on already) and connect to my PC (LAN) and get online when needed.