View Full Version : Petition Drive for Windows PPC 2003 SE

adamstj
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
There is a petition drive that has been started here

http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html

Please continue to leave comments for HP at the Business Support Forums

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=641503

There are over 70 responses to day at HP's forums and the message is in the top 10 read amoung 27,000 posts.

Darius Wey
07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
This petition reminds me much of the 1940/1945 one that people were posting on a while ago. You know, I honestly doubt HP will change their stance now that they've made an official statement. :cry:

mscdex
07-23-2004, 01:32 PM
This petition reminds me much of the 1940/1945 one that people were posting on a while ago. You know, I honestly doubt HP will change their stance now that they've made an official statement. :cry:

Official statement? When was this? Last I heard it was only a rumor still....

Darius Wey
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Taken from: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=641503

HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS Windows Mobile 2003 SE on new products planned for launch in 2H2004. After extensive assessments of MS Windows Mobile 2003 SE support on current products HP has decided not to offer this upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users with a more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support (WPA) on selected models.

Assessment of Core Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE Features:

- VGA Support
- Landscape Support
- WiFi Protected Access (WPA)

VGA Support: While the VGA viewing experience might be more enjoyable for certain users, the support is designed for products that contain VGA screens. The operating system alone does not enable VGA viewing on current QVGA (240 x 320) screens. HP provides 3.5" and 3.8" Transflective Display Screens on HP iPAQ h1930, h1940, h2200, h4100, h4300, h5100 and h5500 series products.

Landscape Support: This support provides dynamic switching between screen orientations from Portrait to landscape. With the March announcement of Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, tools became available to the extended application Development Community, so the wide variety of third-party application could take advantage of the landscape mode. While Microsoft's standard applications will function in landscape mode not all of the value-added software could take advantage of this feature. Many developers are focusing their efforts on the next release of their applications, as opposed to devising a retro-fit for existing versions.

WiFi Protected Access (WPA) Support: WPA is designed to make wireless networks more secure. HP has already offered this on our current iPAQ Products as a ROM update under the MS Windows Mobile 2003 Operating System. This update can be found on our Support and Drivers website for the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h5500 series product. Currently, we are working on a release for the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h4000 series. Please check the HP website for release of these ROM updates.

**PPC 2003 SE FAQ's**

1. Why did HP not offer Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE on current shipping products?

HP completed extensive assessments of the Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE in supporting current shipping products. The majority of our customers have been asking for HP to provide more security for their wireless networks, so the decision was made to offer WiFi Protected Access (WPA) Support. Our customer feedback for the landscape support was that it was a nice to have but not critical to the use of their product.

2. Can I get Landscape support by itself?

No, landscape support is part of the Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE. Unfortunately, because it is part of the core operating system, it is not offered as a stand-alone feature.

3. Can I have WPA support for my h22xx/h19xx devices when used with an SDIO WLAN Card?

WPA support is available for the h2200 & h1940 series Pocket PC with ROM update version 1.10.xx. The h1940 is available in limited languages.

4. Will future models from HP be able to support Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition?

Yes, you will find Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 SE available on new products from HP this year.

5. Will HP update the current shipping products in the future with new Windows Mobile releases?

HP cannot make assurances of future ROM image updates that provide enhancements to Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003. Our goal is to maintain a quality product release and provide resolutions to issues on existing ROM images while releasing new iPAQ products with the latest offerings from Microsoft. HP evaluates each release provided from Microsoft and determines the value and quality of that release before making the decision to invest in developing the enhancement of a ROM image for existing products. HP must also weigh the amount of development time required to complete a new release for handheld devices with the timing of future HP and Microsoft updates. Going forward, ROM sizes are going to play a key role in the decision to offer OS enhancements. As more features are added to the ROM image, fewer devices will have the capability to support these types of enhancement update.

Regards,
HP iPaq Team

This looks "official" enough for me.

Thaedson
07-23-2004, 05:52 PM
It took 30 seconds to sign this and it can't hurt. I urge all of us to sign this!

juni
07-24-2004, 06:41 AM
650 signatures in less than 24 hours. :)