View Full Version : couple of questions on the 4150/4155

pac2570
07-22-2004, 12:10 AM
hello,

1) what's the difference between 4150 and 4155? i'm pretty sure this question was answered but i did a search and came up empty.

2) this is for the people who use their ipaqs to surf the web. how has your internet experience been on the ipaq? i hear that the performance is good but with the screen being small and all, i would think that the experience is not that great. let me know whether you like surfing on your pda or not.

thanks.

pac2570
07-22-2004, 12:15 AM
i found the answer to question one so you don't have to respond to it.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2004, 03:27 AM
For #2 - depends on what you do. For simple tasks, PIE is just fine. For more complex ones, there's NetFront or Thunderhawk (Google for either) that give you more of a "desktop" web browsing experience.

--janak

pac2570
07-23-2004, 10:31 PM
thanks Janak.

the reason why I ask is because my current computer is not working, it's old and i don't want to fix it. i am in the market for a laptop but there's nothing out there that i really like and i'm waiting for the release of better models later in the year. so i thought that a nice high end pda would be a temporary solution for my need for a pc. i just want to do the basics right now, surfing, emial etc. would a pda be a good temporary solution or am i just expecting to much?

naterand
07-25-2004, 03:07 PM
I use my 4150 all the time for light browsing and checking email... i use hotmail for my email and they have a pocket version of their website as do many other sites such as google so some sites are very easy to use.... however when i really want to get something done i usually go to my desktop... typing an email is a huge pain if you're trying to do it on your PDA without a keyboard... and again for light browsing or reading online journals or something a PDA is great but if your doing something like online shopping or a lot of searching i've found that it's almost impossible due to the amount of scrolling that you have to do...if you're familar with a site its not too bad but if you're seeing the site for the first time it can be a major pain... so... to me... it doesn't make sense to "replace" a desktop or laptop with a PDA... maybe a Tablet PC but those seem to be just as pricey as a laptop... hope that helps... -nate

Janak Parekh
07-25-2004, 07:42 PM
so i thought that a nice high end pda would be a temporary solution for my need for a pc. i just want to do the basics right now, surfing, emial etc. would a pda be a good temporary solution or am i just expecting to much?
Maybe. The device can work standalone, but there's only one person in the Pocket PC community who I know uses it in lieu of a desktop, and that's Gerard. Most people find that, even with application updates, the Pocket PC is a little too restricting for everyday tasks. I know that I couldn't do the kinds of heavy websurfing I do on a Pocket PC...

--janak