View Full Version : So many choices, so hard to choose!

Nullzero
07-21-2004, 06:15 AM
Wow, it's been ages since I've bought a PDA... My first and only PDA was the Handspring Visor that I bought back in 1999 for $280 dollars. I can't believe it's already 2004, and I've had it for 5 years now. It's been a great little hand held and has worked fantastically since then.

But now, it's showing its age... and it may be time to upgrade, don't you think? :wink:

Problem is, I've been out of the loop for a while with PDAs... back in the day, it was a simple choice... Palm Pilot, or the new Handspring Visors. Hah, my how things have changed. Seems every electronics company... form Samsung to Dell, have their own PDA version.

Really though, what I'm looking for, is an all-in-one solution. Features I really want:

Color screen
Integrated 802.11/Bluetooth/IR
Integrated Digital Camera
Integrated Cell Phone
MP3 playback capabilities
Hand-writing recognition (pretty standard nowadays, I'm guessing)
Excellent Alarm/Date organizer (I use my Visor to wake me up every morning as an alarm clock ;D)

And so, I call upon thee, the masters of PDA knowledge... what doest thou recommend? Does such a PDA exist yet? Or is it a few years off still?

Many thanks... I've been eye-balling the iPaqs, and they look especially nice... Mmm... I've been bitten by the tech-bug.

-----
Nullzero

dean_shan
07-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Color screen
Integrated 802.11/Bluetooth/IR
Integrated Digital Camera
Integrated Cell Phone
MP3 playback capabilities
Hand-writing recognition (pretty standard nowadays, I'm guessing)
Excellent Alarm/Date organizer (I use my Visor to wake me up every morning as an alarm clock ;D)

Welcome fellow former Visor user.
With any Pocket PC you can get:
Color Screen
MP3 Playback
Hand-writing
Alarms

As for you wanting Cell Phone, Bluetooth, WiFi and a camera, I don't think it's going to happen. I know there is a PPC with a phone and camera.

maximus
07-21-2004, 07:08 AM
The closest device to your requirements (and the most popular) is :

http://www.myxda.com/XdaII/personal/template/XdaIIPersonal.vm

It has bluetooth, but not wifi.

Nullzero
07-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Holy Jebus...

That O2 is AMAZING. It has almost every feature I could every want.

The price is enourmous though... almost $1000! Man, it'd be so worth it though ;D Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though it's available here in the US! Doh!

I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks!

-----
Nullzero

maximus
07-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I thought XDA2 is available in the U.S.?

Islander
07-21-2004, 02:12 PM
I still have and use my Visor Platinum, so I know how you feel...I am going to hate to give up that excellent case too, tan leather, hmmm...might be able to rig it up for the next one...we'll see. I even still have the eyemodule cam :) -But now, just the thought of reading an ebook on a color screen...ahhhhhh! Speaking of which, the vga is supposed to be great for that...one of the reasons I am waiting for the Asus A730...sounds like that might be good for you, except you'd need a seperate cellphone. -and the first release of the A730 has no wifi..bluetooth yes...but there is the cf slot eh. Shortly after the release of the A730, the wifi/bt version will be released also...if you can wait.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/asus-a730-en.shtml

I imagine some regular readers are getting tired of seeing that link :devilboy: -it's my advice tho. :) Samsung, Dell, and now even Asus, gotta love it. Goodluck and Cheers from PEI

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 03:41 PM
I thought XDA2 is available in the U.S.?
Not through a carrier -- so you have to get it unlocked. :( And it doesn't have WiFi, although you can use an SDIO card for that.

Nullzero -- you also want to look at the Motorola MPx and the iPAQ 6315 (sometimes called 6300) devices. Both are on the verge of coming out, possibly in the US, and are amongst the coolest Pocket PC phones ever. ;) dean_shan: both of them have a GSM chipset, Bluetooth, WiFi, and a small digicam.

--janak

dean_shan
07-21-2004, 04:12 PM
dean_shan: both of them have a GSM chipset, Bluetooth, WiFi, and a small digicam.

I stand corrected. Listen to Janak, he's the one with 10,000+ post.

maximus
07-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Listen to Janak, he's the one with 10,000+ post.

:rotfl:

I vote that as the quote of the day.

Ryan Joseph
07-22-2004, 02:21 AM
i totally recommended the XDAII. I have the i-mate, which is the same device with a different logo slapped on.

Check it out at Club i-mate (http://www.clubimate.com).

While the HP 6300 is cool, it doesn't have 128MB of memory. Personally, I'd rather add an SD WiFi card and have the extra storage space.

But that's just me. :wink:

mrkablooey
07-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Don't forget to check out http://www.SmartPhoneThoughts.com

:wink: