View Full Version : To WM2003SE or not to WM2003SE? (Janek?)

GSibble
07-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Hey everyone!

I just ordered my e805!! I'm extremely excited, but I already have one issue with it.

I want to use it in the 640x480 mode continuously. So I need all of the programs to work with it.

Now, I read somewhere that while upgrading to WM2003SE makes it better, some programs will still not work in 640x480.

Furthermore, I read that SE makes it so that the "hacks" that allow you to run any program in VGA don't work anymore.

So, for maximum usability in VGA do I:

Just run the hacks (which is the best one?)
Upgrade to WM2003SE
Upgrade to WM2003SE AND install a hack

Thanks everyone!

-GPS

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 06:13 AM
Don't ask me! :P I haven't installed SE yet -- I've been waiting for a North American version, although I'm close to giving up on it and installing the German version.

I can say that most programs work OK in first edition with the hacks; this includies PIE, Word, Excel, Contacts, Calendar, etc. The controls are generally small, but useable. Still, I think SE's larger controls will be a bit of a boon, and some small quirks should be fixed. What I've heard, though, is that SE is a bit slower (at least until programs are optimized for it) -- this is less an issue for me, since I don't play videos and the like, but I do know some people have switched back.

Incidentally, the Brighthand e805 forum has some very active discussions on this subject; you might find it helpful.

Good luck!

--janak

GSibble
07-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks Janek!!!

PS.

What is the absolutely necessary software I should install on my e800 that will make it shine?

And how can I make it get my email AS FAST AS POSSIBLE (Exchange server 2003 SP1).

-GPS

pivaska
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Go to brighthand.com in the forums in the pocket pc section and then to Toshiba 800 and you will read the plathora of info on the answser to your questions. I flashed to SE and then back again because I watch movies in player but in SE it is only a quarter of the screen size. I use the hacks instead.

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 03:37 PM
What is the absolutely necessary software I should install on my e800 that will make it shine?
Most anything you want looks very pretty in VGA. ;) Things like PI are insanely nice with the extra pixels.

And how can I make it get my email AS FAST AS POSSIBLE (Exchange server 2003 SP1).
My guess is using Server Activesync - but I haven't set it up myself yet. :| It's on my to-do list.

--janak

rob_ocelot
07-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Don't ask me! :P I haven't installed SE yet -- I've been waiting for a North American version, although I'm close to giving up on it and installing the German version.

Toshiba Canada has a 'North American' version for download on their web site. I fear that is probably the only one we are going to get.

I flashed to SE and then flashed back to WM2003. Not having Wisbar Advance under SE gives a huge functionality hit to the way I switch between programs. Add to that the fact that you have to now install the Clearvue suite and Microsoft Reader into memory (or flashrom) and that most games now DON'T work under SE and I have no reason to upgrade until updates arrive. The usefulness of my e800 as a 'mini tablet' under MyVGA is far more valuable to me than being able to switch orientations on the fly (with bonus horrible screen refresh)

At least under MYVGA I can switch to 240 x 320 to play a game if I get the urge.

The one thing that I will miss about MyVGA when I finally switch to SE will be the nice tiny taskbar. Perhaps that's what the next version of MyVGA should strive for -- giving back all the great things about MyVGA that SE took away!

Janak Parekh
07-22-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I use my e805 for slightly different things, so I might take the plunge and install the Canada update if the US one isn't released soon. It's very weird that they haven't released an update here. :?

--janak

JamesH5100
07-23-2004, 02:44 PM
I was unable to locate the download for WM2003SE. Does anyone have it to post?

Thanks.