View Full Version : GoToMyPC Bundled on Samsung i700 Pocket PC Phone Edition

Jason Dunn
07-20-2004, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040720005286&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal...286&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Mobile professionals looking for the ultimate mobility solution, can now access their entire desktop PC using Samsung's SPH-i700 Microsoft(R) Windows Mobile(TM) Pocket PC Phone with Citrix(R) GoToMyPC(R) from Citrix Online, a division of Citrix Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq:CTXS). Available through Verizon Wireless, the combination of the i700 and GoToMyPC allows users to view and control their entire PC desktop, unlike other handheld remote solutions that offer only limited access to calendar and e-mail."</i><br /><br />At first I thought this was going to be in ROM on a new version of the i700, but it sounds like they're simply adding the GoToMyPC link to the Verizon start page. I don't think this is worthy of a press release, but the GoToMyPC service is quite interesting, especially at the speeds that 1xRTT offers. I've been testing it on WiFi and it's very fast, but I shudder to think what it would be like over GPRS. :worried:

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Well, I upgraded my i700's ROM and, most definitely, it's not there. ;)

--janak

beq
07-20-2004, 10:11 PM
I actually find GoToMyPC useful to support travelling laptop users (with the laptop being the host). So I can troubleshoot something or even help them to go through it together. Useful because these users travel to various networks with firewalls that are outside of my control, so I can't easily use another remote access solution.

I realize this is kind of the opposite scenario to what's suggested above though (where the desktop is the host and the travelling laptop/PDA user is the remote user).

Marcel_Proust
07-20-2004, 10:40 PM
i use GOTOMYPC over wifi and a e805 - with a VGA the remote desktop is wonderful.

Ed Hansberry
07-20-2004, 11:06 PM
If it is using ICA, which is what Citrix uses for their MetaFrame service on servers, it is quite tolerable over 28.8, so a good GPRS connection is workable.

Janak Parekh
07-21-2004, 01:17 AM
If it is using ICA, which is what Citrix uses for their MetaFrame service on servers, it is quite tolerable over 28.8, so a good GPRS connection is workable.
I'm not sure it does. GoToMyPC used to be an independent company. However, I bet Citrix will consider moving it over to ICA, which would be very cool, since in my experience ICA (and its cousin, RDP) spanks pretty much every other remote protocol on the market performancewise.

--janak

beq
07-21-2004, 01:27 AM
Eh, I thought GoToMyPC is a different paradigm of connectivity? Basically hosted service through their servers...

Vincent M Ferrari
07-21-2004, 01:37 AM
Well, as someone who has used G2MPC on my Pocket PC connected to a Bluetooth phone, I can honestly say it's freakin' torturous.

Great product. Great for WiFi... But when it comes to GPRS? No freakin' way.

Jason Dunn
07-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Eh, I thought GoToMyPC is a different paradigm of connectivity? Basically hosted service through their servers...

No, you're connecting to your computer, not a server (though the authentication goes through the server I believe). We have a review coming up soon on it...

beq
07-21-2004, 01:48 AM

No, you're connecting to your computer, not a server (though the authentication goes through the server I believe). We have a review coming up soon on it...
I see thanks for the info Jason. I wasn't sure about the session connection itself.

Anyways what I wanted to emphasize is that this solution doesn't require any firewall configuration. Whereas I thought Citrix ICA or the RDP still requires configuration?

Jason Dunn
07-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Anyways what I wanted to emphasize is that this solution doesn't require any firewall configuration.

Yes, that's true, and that's what makes it work so well - no need to open ports, do IP forwarding, etc. RDP might be free, but it's much more complicated. GoToMyPC is designed to be fast and simple, and it accomplishes both IMO.

Menneisyys
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure it does. GoToMyPC used to be an independent company. However, I bet Citrix will consider moving it over to ICA, which would be very cool, since in my experience ICA (and its cousin, RDP) spanks pretty much every other remote protocol on the market performancewise.

--janak

Yup, they have switched over to ICA in the meantime. I've made some really thorough bandwidth consumption tests (which I'll publish soon), which all show this.