View Full Version : O2 XDA II offer an upgrade to WM2K3 Second Edition?

PoweriPaq
07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Will the Second Edition of Windows Mobile 2003 be available as an upgrade for XDA II? I don't see it on their site.

ddevilx2
07-20-2004, 09:38 PM
It's still being tested from what I've heard, but it sure sounds like it will be coming out

PoweriPaq
07-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Where is this news coming from?

Thanks.

drj
07-21-2004, 05:02 AM
There has been some discussion on the clubimate.com boards regarding SE. This "its being tested" is a rumour and could be true but testing and releasing are two different things. There has been NO OFFICIAL word saying "we are releasing SE".

I say they will not. They are in the hardware sales business. They want you to sell you new hardware. What a great motivation to buy the third generation device but that it comes with SE.

No other Pocket PC manufacture except Toshiba has released SE, even then toshiba had it on an international site and now they are getting out of the ppc business all together. Hp said they would, promised but in the end said NO. Now you will be motivated to buy their next product line.

I say the same for the Imate, XDA II, MDA II there will be no SE update but it will be in the third generation device and if you want it buy the new device!

SE is not free and someone has to pay for the upgrade cost to Microsoft doubt that O2 or Tmobile will, to make customers pay is a nightmare and upgrades in general are a nightmare and costly.

Just my thoughts..I might be wrong...but I say there will not be an SE upgrade.

Ryan Joseph
07-21-2004, 01:24 PM
I had a dream last night that an SE update was released for the i-mate. So, first thing I did when I woke up was check the posts in hopes that my dream might have been prophetic. :worried:

Sadly, I guess not. :(

But here's hoping! :mrgreen:

ddevilx2
07-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Before PocketPCPassion went down Dale had mentioned that he had been using SE on his I-Mate, but downgraded to 1.72 to test out the wifi/256 mb SD card. I asked him how it was and it said SE was great on the unit. I'd take Dale's word that they are if nothing else testing it and probably will release it soon.

drj
07-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Dale had said he was testing an MDA III

I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up or buy one now thinking that it is coming, rumours, speculation and even Dale is not enough until we see a press release don't hold your breath. I do think that PPC manufactures have learned that upgrades are a nightmare.

SE is not FREE from Microsoft so someone has to pay. To organize a pay for upgrade and distribute it is VERY costly, they want to sell new hardware, that is Imates business. Makes sense as ALL OTHER ppc manufactures have done to say...no upgrade, if you want SE buy a new device.

ddevilx2
07-22-2004, 12:32 AM
my misunderstanding about dale I guess - that was not the impression I got.
Let's hope for the best I say - with the different companies all selling the same device and usually putting out ROM upgrades at different intervals I would hope one of them would do it.

dgrilli
08-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I have been asking for some Feedback from you guys using the MDA II or XDA II in the US and how you liked them?

Specially what type and brand of Blue tooth headsets you are using and whether you guys changed the blue tooth stack to something other than Microsofts.

Let Us Know

PoweriPaq
08-02-2004, 11:24 PM
If I knew how to change the bluetooth stack to something else other than microsoft, I would.

The device is great. I love it and the bluetooth headset I used is the Sony Ericsson HBH-600. Lots of background noise, I don't recommend it.

This is my first PPCPE and I've used this device more than my other PPC. Not only for the phone, but also for the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is not built-in, I used an SDIO WiFi card from Sandisk.

The XDA II don't look like a phone, it looks like a PDA to people that I showed it to until I told them it's a phone too and they were surprised how thin it was but still large for a phone. I use it for everything, even games. Though the buttons are ackward at first since most of the games don't recognize the phone button.

I also bought the Microsoft Voice Command to command a voice call so I don't have to dial. No teaching the program required, it knows what you said even if you have an accent.

I have Cingular as my provider and here at work, there isn't that great of a reception, maybe 2 bars. I used the camera a lot, it takes pretty good pictures. It's lighter than my previous PDA, and it's faster with more memory.

It's been great so far for a month old PDA. I can't complain, except the price. YIKES!

I have been asking for some Feedback from you guys using the MDA II or XDA II in the US and how you liked them?

Specially what type and brand of Blue tooth headsets you are using and whether you guys changed the blue tooth stack to something other than Microsofts.

Let Us Know

maskmanJoe
08-17-2004, 09:09 AM
what improvements are expected of SE?will WM2003 users be missing out a lot or is it just incremental changes? sorry im not very updated with the OS, just have mine for just about a month

madbart
08-21-2004, 10:36 AM
i find it strange that we are expecting se for this unit when the hp 6xxx series will not even be released with it. Having said that i am hopeful that it will be released but i am not holding my breath.

jeisner
08-24-2004, 07:33 AM
The reason many are expecting it as numerous people have chatted to the support people on the Imate Live web support and have been told that the SE update for the Imate is in testing and should be released by end of September.

Would be nice but I am not holding my breath 1st level support people are normally full of it ;)