View Full Version : speak into mic and simultaneously hear it through speakers?

zie_edge
07-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Is there a way you could speak into the mic and simultaneously hear it through speakers (or headphones if they're attached)?

FYI, Need it to practice dialogue delivery. Until now I'm stuck with my laptop for doing the same (also recording it all on mp3, but hearing live is more important), i can adjust echo, reverb, add ambient effects, soundtrack... but not expecting all this on PPC, just the ability to hear my voice electronically amplified.

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
If your need is to practice dialogue delivery, I'd think it'd be better for you to record your voice and play it back later. After all, if you want to hear how your voice appears to others, you'd want to hear it in isolation, without it being distorted by your own voice being heard at the same time. We all know that hearing our own voice in a recording, and hearing it as we speak all sounds different.

Just a thought.

CrashX
07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
If your need is to practice dialogue delivery, I'd think it'd be better for you to record your voice and play it back later.
Actually, hearing it at the same time will help with delivery.

I was watching some "invention" show on one of the Discovery networks last week (it was an old show as some of the inventions are now everyday items). One of the items showcased was a device that did just what zie_edge described. You connected a set of headphones to it and talked normaly. You could adjust settings such as pitch, speed, etc. There were presets on the device that would help you speak faster, slower, or with more confidence (plus others).

The inventor designed the original device to help battle a stuttering problem. Hearing his own voice allowed him to concentrate more on how he was speaking, and eventually the stuttering disappeared.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/dsa/dsa.html