View Full Version : 1) Essential software 2) Outlook password problem

rosbif
07-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Have just bought an Ipaq 4150 down in part to advice received here so thanks! I have two questions..

1) Where do I look for all that essential software that you have all installed and couldn't live without?

2) When I installed Outlook 2002 it was supposed to get all the account info from OE which I have used uptil now. It did, but not the passwords! Even if I export the .iaf file from OE and import to OL it leaves the password blank. Is there any way of copying the password over? Either that or I am going to have to go and try and dig up all my old paperwork that had the passwords on them..

TIA

drop
07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Try this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27945&highlight=).

I haven't used Outlook Express for years. I'll leave your second questions to the more qualified.

rosbif
07-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks for that - perfect link!

drowe
07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
It is by design that the password didn't come over. Have you checked on your provider's web page for a "forgot password" link? Most of them have that.......

rosbif
07-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks drowe - bit odd design as I would have thought that exporting and then importing account details would include everything?

drowe
07-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Well, it does make some sense. I move data for customers every day and if the password came over I would have control of their mail. Sort of the same thing as passwords being * instead of stored in plain text. It can be a pain sometimes :wink:

rosbif
07-23-2004, 06:14 PM
True I guess - no way around it I suppose? I am 'touring' at the mo and won;t get home til August so can't get to my passwords... :roll:

drowe
07-23-2004, 06:28 PM
I can't help with getting your password back this time, but...... Maybe a copy of SplashID or eWallet or one of the other passwork keeping programs should be on your list of "get it now" software :wink: I've used SplashID for years on Palm and Pocket PC and don't ever worry about losing passwords.