View Full Version : Questions

wirelesscop
07-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just got my HP 2215 back from HP. Great experience if I might say. They replaced the main board on the unit. I had been having no luck synching... It's all good now!

I am in the process of reloading all my programs into the unit and I had a few questions. In the past, I have used the UK AIM program, as it's free. (Don't get me started on AOL's charging for AIM for the US version of PPC AIM). I was wondering if anyone out there actually has the US AIM for PPC version...

If so, do you know what the differences in the US and UK versions
are?

Also, I have been trying to install programs to my PPC and I keep getting the following message: ..."Not a valid Win32 application".

What does this mean? Normally I would associate it with an error I would get if I was trying to install software that wasn't for the PPC. I dunno...

Thanks for any help!

Vincent M Ferrari
07-18-2004, 06:30 PM
I am in the process of reloading all my programs into the unit and I had a few questions. In the past, I have used the UK AIM program, as it's free. (Don't get me started on AOL's charging for AIM for the US version of PPC AIM). I was wondering if anyone out there actually has the US AIM for PPC version...

No difference; the newsfeeds and stock tickers are slightly different but the programs are identical (except, of course, for the fact that the UK one is free)

Also, I have been trying to install programs to my PPC and I keep getting the following message: ..."Not a valid Win32 application".

What does this mean? Normally I would associate it with an error I would get if I was trying to install software that wasn't for the PPC. I dunno...
Thanks for any help!

What it probably means is that the exe you're trying to run on your desktop is not an EXE for Windows, but a PPC exe. Just copy the exe to your device and run it there and you should be AOK.

Kowalski
07-18-2004, 11:06 PM

Thanks for any help!

Some programmers are lazy that they dont write an installer and just upload the exe itself. some are less lazy than the first type and make the executable as a cab project, so you can copy the cab file, execute it in you ppc and it copies the files the desitination itself. and the most elegant way is to write a desktop installer. the desktop installer access your device over active stink and lets you to have more control on the installation proccess.
you may be confused because both "naked" executables and installers have .exe extensions. sometimes installers have different icons, so you can recognize them.
BTW most of the times installers are bigger in size then single executables, because installers may contain more than one executable and select the suitable executable that will match your devices cpu

Kati Compton
07-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Some programmers are lazy that they dont write an installer and just upload the exe itself. some are less lazy than the first type and make the executable as a cab project, so you can copy the cab file, execute it in you ppc and it copies the files the desitination itself. and the most elegant way is to write a desktop installer. the desktop installer access your device over active stink and lets you to have more control on the installation proccess.
Since some PPC users connect over WiFi at hotspots/work/etc, not all have their "host" computer with them. It's nice when programs have a .cab or PPC .exe as an alternative to the desktop installer for that reason.