View Full Version : Disappointed in HP

Busdriver
07-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Pulled my 2215 outa my pocket the other day and the SD card had released somehow and was sticking out a bit. So I pushed it back in to seat it. Unfortunately, the machine wouldn't recognize the card.

When I got home, I updated the ROM and made sure I had the SD patch from HP, but still no luck. So away it went to HP. It turns out that the SD pins on the motherboard were somehow bent and they would not repair it under warranty, and BTW send us $214 for a new motherboard. :evil:

Very, very disappointing. For the life of me I just can't imagine how I could have damaged those pins. I've never tried to jam the card into the slot.

HP......What happened to you???????

Sparks52
07-18-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't really see how it is HP's fault. I mean did your SD slot ever work properly? If not I can understand where you're coming from. But pins don't just bend in their own.

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Agreed with Sparks52 -- unless Busdriver was using a Jornada 548 as comparison. Nothing can stand up to the ruggedness of that unit (except industrial solutions), but it was 9.4 oz! HP, and other OEMs, are always compromising -- compactness and lightweight vs. sturdy and resilient. Most of the time, the device ends up somewhere in between.

--janak

Busdriver
07-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't hold HP responsible for my carelessness. Just don't see how those pins can be damaged by simply inserting and removing the SD card. It IS possible that somebody else could have done it when the machine was not in my possession, but I don't think that is the case here.

...compactness and lightweight vs. sturdy and resilient...

They certainly compromised sturdy and resilient for compactness and lightness in this case. Oh, BTW, you'll need new grips, too. It also took em 3 tries to get the shipping box to me.

I've always been a fan of HP. Think they make great products, or I did anyway. Guess I'll quit trying to compare my 2215 to my 200lx, which WAS compact and lightweight and you could use it for, well, just about anything and it would still work. Never used the Jornada but the 200lx was unbelievably rugged.

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh, BTW, you'll need new grips, too.
Yeah, there's no excuse for this -- simply poor engineering. The bundled case is highly lame, too.

It also took em 3 tries to get the shipping box to me.
:( They were always good about shipping the box to me, but trying to tell them what to fix was tricky with my 3870 -- took them three times until they got it right. :|

Guess I'll quit trying to compare my 2215 to my 200lx, which WAS compact and lightweight and you could use it for, well, just about anything and it would still work. Never used the Jornada but the 200lx was unbelievably rugged.
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to. The days of rugged (and a bit heavier) machines is out, with a few exceptions.

--janak

milkman dan
07-20-2004, 04:45 AM
you should have looked around ebay for a unit with a cracked screen and a good mobo, you can pick them up for well under 50 bucks US, and instalation is SOOOO easy

Busdriver
07-25-2004, 05:21 PM
..good mobo..
Motherboard, I presume?

Good idea, by the way.

Ripper014
07-26-2004, 06:37 AM
I am assuming when you say SD card.. you mean your CF card...