View Full Version : Quick review of Minolta SD-CF1 adapter

Stake
07-17-2004, 07:32 PM
This was from the iPaq 4705 discussion when I mentioned if people didn't have a need for a CF slot, why not make it into a SD slot and have dual SD... One person didn't understand why anyone would need it and another just commented on if it was compatible.
Interesting. Spent $60 to buy the adapter to convert a more expensive SD card into cheap CF card? Seems not so sense to me.

It would be useful to allow people on vacation to transfer photos from their Compact Flash camera to their SD-only pocketpc. Or for people wanting to only buy one type of memory.

But I bet this adapter is neither supported in PocketPCs or Cameras since it'll most likely need a driver. I hope I'm wrong.

I am happy to confirm that the SD-CF1 from Minolta is compatible with PPCs. My Tosh e550G recognized the adapter as a CF card (as it should.) I also tried it out on a Coolpix 4500 and worked perfectly. Windows XP picked it up as a standard removable drive using a CF to PC card adapter. Also the form factor for the adapter itself is CF I (so it will also fit into a old Jornada with no problems. Though I don't have an old Jornada, I do have the very first Palm PC, the Casio E-100. I popped it into the Casio and it too recognized the card and recorded a voice memo. I have no doubt that it can function in any PPC.

This is useful for users who:
> Have a CF slot on a PPC that they want to use but not willing to buy/invest in a CF card in a more SD-centric device market
> Don't have money for MD and have extra SD cards laying around
> Want to transfer files from a CF camera to an SD only device

The only question I have is will this work for SD cards larger than 512? It only states it's been tested with a 512 card. I'm guessing that since it was made early last year, 1GB cards weren't available for testing. I would guess it technically wouldn't matter but I'm no expert on it. Instructions also say not to format a SD card in the adapter as it may cause damage. I'm not willing to test that quite yet.

Just wanted to share my findings on something people forgot about, like myself, or didn't know existed.

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 08:06 PM
My guess is it would work just fine with > 512MB. BTW - how much did you pay for it? The last time I saw the adapter, it seemed rather expensive.

--janak

Stake
07-17-2004, 08:39 PM
It's $52.99 with free standard shipping from Amazon. It's only expensive because it's a branded, Minolta product. I've seen similar and cheaper products but they are larger and doesn't sit flush inside a device.

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I've seen similar and cheaper products but they are larger and doesn't sit flush inside a device.
Right - which would make it useless for me -- I'd use it with cameras, etc., where the flush seat is necessary.

Thanks -- doesn't look like the price has gone down yet. It's non-critical for me, so I'll keep on watching and waiting.

--janak

Stake
07-17-2004, 09:13 PM
It wasn't critical for me either as I have a 1GB MD but it's convient to carry in my card case since it easily slips into my PC card adapter when it's stored. I take the boy scout mentallity as I'd like to be prepared for any situation.

I also thought that it would help with any SD to SD file transfers since I wouldn't have to copy it to the PPC first and transfer it back to another SD card.

Sven Johannsen
07-17-2004, 11:16 PM
It's $52.99 with free standard shipping from Amazon. It's only expensive because it's a branded, Minolta product. I've seen similar and cheaper products but they are larger and doesn't sit flush inside a device.

It's not the branding. This is a CF Type I adapter where the SD card fitting flush. As such it is special, and is required in certain situations. You can find several of these types available on the net but they are all about the same price or more. Finding a CF to SD adapter in Type II where the SD card sticks out is no problem either and they are cheaper and often support Memory Sticks as well.

Jonathon Watkins
02-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Are there any current and cheaper versions on internal SD to CF adaptors? I've been looking around and US$52 seems rather a high price for this. (Plus I can't find on in the UK for sale).