View Full Version : Samsung i700 WM2003 Update Released!

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/' target='_blank'>http://vzw.smithmicro.com/samsung/</a><br /><br /></div>It looks like Verizon has actually managed to release the WM2003 update (first edition, of course) for the Samsung i700. There are apparently two ways to do the update: through a Verizon Wireless store or from the above-linked site. I haven't tried it yet -- I'll do so tonight and post my experiences once it's done. The above site seems to be <i>really</i> hammered right now... every i700 owner is trying to get it. :mrgreen:

Ryan Joseph
07-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Well, that makes us even then, doesn't it?

Now we can both whine together about an SE update for our devices. :D

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Nope -- I'm 100% sure that they won't have an SE update. :|

--janak

PPCMD
07-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't plan on seeing WMPE2003SE for the I700 and don't expect it either. As far as I am concerened Verizon delivered what they should have which is WMPE2003. I got my installed today it took 15 minutes and its working without issue so far.

Interesting to note that they now have the on/of of the phone called Flight Mode which I know was discussed but I don't recall ever seeing it mentioned that the udpate had it listed this way.

Of course now I can wait to see what comes next, MPx, HP 6315 or something else. The I700 will hold me over for now.

Only question I have is how do we turn off the always on data connection. Since I use my voice minutes for data use (limted use only) I don't want to be paying for a service that is not supported at my office.

Ryan Joseph
07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Nope -- I'm 100% sure that they won't have an SE update. :|

But you can still whine, right? :lol:

Seriously, that is a little depressing. But at least they gave you guys a 2003 upgrade at all, right? :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Only question I have is how do we turn off the always on data connection. Since I use my voice minutes for data use (limted use only) I don't want to be paying for a service that is not supported at my office.
There's some discussion on pdaphonehome.com about this, which you might want to check out.

--janak

SteveNYC
07-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Better yet, check out the new Wireless Sync offering that Verizon has. I am playing around with it on my Kyocera 7135 and tomorrow on my Treo 600 (sorry guys, still in Palm land). But to use Wireless Sync on the i700, you have to have the 2003 update. So on top of all the other benefits that the new 2003 update will give you on the i700, you have the ability to do push e-mail and sync all of your data. It's well worth it for the new sync feature alone.

https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/en/logon.asp

It's better than Blackberry. No kidding. I don't say that lightly. Sync the e-mail, contacts, calendar, to-do's, notes. It even keeps its own web version of all your data. It really is wild.

Service comes free with unlimited data. Which is expensive at $45 a month. But this wireless sync goes a REAL long way to making it worth it.

Hey, one note to other NYC and NYS government employees, you have a 19% discount available to you. Consider it one of those rare perks availble to you. It makes the $45 come to $36 and hey, everything helps, right?

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off topic. The i700 is an impressive phone and PDA and I think this 2003 update offers even more bang than people might realize.

I hope others find this as useful as I do.

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
It's better than Blackberry. No kidding. I don't say that lightly. Sync the e-mail, contacts, calendar, to-do's, notes. It even keeps its own web version of all your data. It really is wild.
8O I'm excited now. I heard about this, and since I have the unlimited data already... :drool: They also offer it on the i600 and the Treo, I see. That would make the Treo a sweet device as well.

--janak

Eriq Cook
07-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I upgraded my i-700 last night. No problems, and my i-700 seems faster (menus pop-up quicker, etc). Like the changes in the update.

The only issues I had was that the download took forever, and I had to re-install everything (was sort-of expecting this). I thought I could backup via ActiveSync before the upgrade, and restore my data after the upgrade without restoring the old Pocket PC 2002 OS, but ActiveSync returned an error message that it was backed up with a difference device and therefore wouldn't work.

I'm sure this is the last upgrade Samsung/Verizon will introduce for the i-700. I'll probably get one of the new iPAQ Pocket PC phones as soon as it's released (it's T-Mobile, right?).

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I thought I could backup via ActiveSync before the upgrade, and restore my data after the upgrade without restoring the old Pocket PC 2002 OS, but ActiveSync returned an error message that it was backed up with a difference device and therefore wouldn't work.
Yes - it wouldn't work by definition. Glad to hear your update went well, overall. :)

I'm sure this is the last upgrade Samsung/Verizon will introduce for the i-700. I'll probably get one of the new iPAQ Pocket PC phones as soon as it's released (it's T-Mobile, right?).
I would expect so, too. As for the iPAQ GSM Pocket PC Phone, I don't think it's official, but rumors do suggest T-Mo.

--janak

BevHoward
07-19-2004, 11:57 PM
The i700 upgrade link is now simply a message that the demand was too great... unclear why it was shut down... different stories.

DaleReeck
07-20-2004, 01:13 AM
The i700 upgrade link is now simply a message that the demand was too great... unclear why it was shut down... different stories.

Gee, I like how they act like they are all shocked and everything that their servers got pounded :)

I vote for "flight mode" as the most useless change ever made to newer PDA's. I got the same thing on my SE-updated Toshiba e805 and it is the stupidist thing ever. I guess "wireless on" and "wireless off" was too confusing for us common folk when we get an that dang new fangled flyin' machine :roll:

Ryan Joseph
07-20-2004, 02:32 AM
I vote for "flight mode" as the most useless change ever made to newer PDA's.

I disagree. I love having flight mode on my phone edition. I don't see much use for it on a standard PPC, but on a phone, it's great! I can turn the phone off at any time and back on again just as easily. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 04:24 AM
It's back up... sort of. ;)

--janak

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 06:25 AM
Update: I installed it. Seems to work great at first glance. :mrgreen: I've got lots of installation to do tomorrow... can't wait.

--janak

Chris Spera
07-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I had a really hard time getting the upgrade image down. Took forever to get it... Finally finished at about 2am this morning.

I am probably going to install tonight and see about updating the device.

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
I had a really hard time getting the upgrade image down. Took forever to get it... Finally finished at about 2am this morning.
pdaPhoneHome was discussing this very fact. A few people put up temporary mirrors...

I am probably going to install tonight and see about updating the device.
It went mostly straightforward for me, with only one glitch that seems to be isolated -- I had to stop ActiveSync from listening on the USB port in "Step 4", otherwise the flash program wouldn't detect the device. Other than that, no hiccups, and WM2003 seems to be running fine. Now I have to start a marathon reinstall... ;)

--janak

ctmagnus
07-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Now I have to start a marathon reinstall... ;)

I rebuilt my iPaq yesterday. Five hours start to finish.

Janak Parekh
07-20-2004, 07:59 PM
I rebuilt my iPaq yesterday. Five hours start to finish.
Yeah - it'll take me roughly the same amount of time, although I'm doing it in pieces. The biggest overhead is inline upgrades. For example, I installed eWallet 4 fresh. I'm also trying to refine the set of programs I use. Etc.

--janak

mesapilot
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Has anyone had a problem with the upgrade. I did the upgrade for a friend and now he cannot hear anything when he answers his phone. It rings but there is no sound when the call connects. Anyone with a fix for this?

Janak Parekh
07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Has anyone had a problem with the upgrade. I did the upgrade for a friend and now he cannot hear anything when he answers his phone. It rings but there is no sound when the call connects. Anyone with a fix for this?

Anyone who wants to discuss this, please continue it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=266561#266561).

--janak

MultiMatt
07-24-2004, 05:03 PM
For those of you who have not yet upgraded your i700, you have the option of doing a self-upgrade online, or (if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself), you can take your device in to your local Verizon Wireless store, and a tech will do the upgrade for you.
Don't assume that every location will be doing it, however...
In Louisville, KY for example, there is one location where you can physically take in your i700 for an upgrade (more detail on the Louisville location here (http://www.pocketpclouisville.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359)).

And just as an FYI - if you encounter some "weirdness" after the upgrade (slow re-draw of the screens, etc), then your install probably did not go 100% right. Just hard reset and do the upgrade again, and the problems should be resolved. There have been a certain number of people who have experienced just that. Reasons vary...

Matt

DaleReeck
07-24-2004, 10:46 PM
I vote for "flight mode" as the most useless change ever made to newer PDA's.

I disagree. I love having flight mode on my phone edition. I don't see much use for it on a standard PPC, but on a phone, it's great! I can turn the phone off at any time and back on again just as easily. :mrgreen:

Actually, you misunderstood me. "Flight mode" is nothing more than "wireless on" and "wireless off" renamed. I mean, what was the point? If I want to turn my wireless off, I have to turn "flight mode on" and vice vera. When you are used to the old way, you sort of have to stop and think for a second because now on means off and off mean on. My old iPaq 5555 before one of the later ROM upgrades had "wireless on" and wireless off" in the menu bar. Clear and simple. After the ROM upgrade, it became "flight mode". Dumb IMO.

Besides, its all meaningless. Every flight I've been on so far, if the stewardess sees an antenna, she won't let you use it regardless of "flight mode" setting.

Jeff Rutledge
07-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Every flight I've been on so far, if the stewardess sees an antenna, she won't let you use it regardless of "flight mode" setting.

You don't even need an antenna. My iPAQ 2210 has no antenna or flashing lights, but I have to turn it off for take-off and landing. I don't bother explaining that I'm just reading an e-book.

rocky_raher
08-03-2004, 10:12 PM
I just returned from vacation, so I'm just now reading this thread. I can understand why you'd have to reinstall everything. If you had Microsoft Reader activated before the upgrade, do you have to re-activate it? If so, does this count against your lifetime limit of device activations for Reader? I'm concerned because, by my count, I used the last one when I activated Reader on my i700.

Steven Cedrone
08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
I just returned from vacation, so I'm just now reading this thread. I can understand why you'd have to reinstall everything. If you had Microsoft Reader activated before the upgrade, do you have to re-activate it? If so, does this count against your lifetime limit of device activations for Reader? I'm concerned because, by my count, I used the last one when I activated Reader on my i700.

Take a look at this post, it may help you in the future...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61582#61582

Steve