View Full Version : Directional Pad Useless?

davidlim
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I rarely use my directional pad button on the middle of my iPaq 4150, but recently when I tried....it doesn't work. In fact, it's completely useless. It doesn't work in the calender, in the folders, nothing!

Any thoughts on what could be the matter? It's brand new, I just got it about 3 weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
07-16-2004, 05:03 PM
It's possible a piece of debris is lodged underneath it- turn it on the side and tap the side/back a few times and see if that helps. If not, time for some warranty work... :-(

jweisz
07-16-2004, 05:34 PM
You can verify the hardware using the Self-Test (Start, Settings, System, Self-Test, Key Test)

davidlim
07-16-2004, 06:59 PM
You can verify the hardware using the Self-Test (Start, Settings, System, Self-Test, Key Test)

Good advice. I didn't know it existed. I ran the test and it definitely wasn't reading the directional pad buttons. I did a soft reset, ran the test again, and it was up and running. Thanks for the help.

Jason Dunn
07-16-2004, 07:03 PM
First rule of owning a Pocket PC: always do a soft reset when things start to go funky. :wink:

baker
07-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Some programs require me to tap the screen before the pad works.

Kati Compton
07-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Some programs require me to tap the screen before the pad works.
Right - you need to make sure the area you're trying to d-pad has "focus" or the d-pad notification doesn't get to the part of the program it needs to get to.

Kowalski
07-16-2004, 09:14 PM
how come you dont use D-pad for some time! i cant live without it.
the less stylus i use, better for me. see, i try to minimize stylus usage by using d-pad as much as i can

Vidge
07-16-2004, 10:22 PM
how come you dont use D-pad for some time! i cant live without it.
the less stylus i use, better for me. see, i try to minimize stylus usage by using d-pad as much as i can

I'm with you. I hate the amount of stylus input I have to do now. Anything I can do with the d-pad I do :D

Kowalski
07-17-2004, 05:55 PM
if we had jog dial too, than we could do even better :|