View Full Version : my city just got flooded!

milkman dan
07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
there are cars floating down the street! how cool is that! NOBODY was injured, thats why I say it was cool :D my town is stupidly boring so stuff like this is kinda neat! you guys hear about it on the news at all? peterborough, ontario is the city btw

dean_shan
07-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Where do you live?

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Where do you live?
As he pointed out in his post, "peterborough, ontario is the city btw".

The Northeast has been getting a lot of rain lately. :| Today's the first sunny day in NY in a while...

--janak

dean_shan
07-15-2004, 10:15 PM

Wow I feel dumb. How did I not see that before?

mscdex
07-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Looks like the milkman won't be out for delivery today.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Looks like the milkman won't be out for delivery today.
Does Milkman Dan (http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/meatlocker/milkmandan.html) actually bother delivering milk? ;)

--janak

p.s. Moved post to Off-Topic.

Jon Westfall
07-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Never thought I'd see a flood listed as "cool" but I guess to each their own...

Don Tolson
07-16-2004, 12:30 AM
You're front-page news on the Globe and Mail today!!

<I sooooo miss Milkman Dan. Our local rag stopped publishing Red Meat>

Ryan Joseph
07-16-2004, 12:37 AM
We had considerable flooding down here near Philly. Nothing bad where I live, but several towns around had bridges washed away or areas evacuated, stuff like that.

But as long as nobody's hurt, I guess it could be cool.

Hank Scorpio
07-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Hey Milkman, good to see a fellow Peterpatch PocketPC user on here, I missed all the excitement and came in around 11:00, but it was kinda fun if you had a canoe or a Jeep.

mrkablooey
07-16-2004, 02:29 AM

Wow I feel dumb. How did I not see that before?

It's cold in your igloo? ;)

Ryan Joseph
07-16-2004, 02:34 AM

Ooo, that was low. But I have to admit that I've made that joke before myself. I know someone who lives in Canada and I love making Igloo jokes. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I lied before...there was damage where I am. Our office at work got flooded. Not bad at all, but we watched as the water slowly creeped across the floor.

It was actually a lot of fun. We even got some plastic ducks and had them floating around when Maintenance came by to clean up the water.

Yeah, Monday was a fun day! :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-16-2004, 03:59 AM
That igloo would have likely melted (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USAK0012.html) unless he's quite a bit further north... actually, no, it'd probably be melting there (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USAK0025.html), too. ;)

--janak

p.s. Apropos of nothing, check out sunrise and sunset in the latter link. They've got 2 minutes of night up there... although the Yahoo! Weather site can't quite handle that...

IIIsynthtaxIII
07-16-2004, 05:40 AM
I sort of saw a blurb on the news about the flood. We were supposed to get a huge storm here in Kingston too, but not much happened. Lucky for us. I have a friend who lives in the P-dot, I should call and make sure she's not paddling her pickup to higher ground...

dean_shan
07-16-2004, 07:40 AM
That igloo would have likely melted (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USAK0012.html)

Weird, how did you know I'm in Anchorage this weekend? Are you watching me sleep? :wink:

Janak Parekh
07-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Weird, how did you know I'm in Anchorage this weekend? Are you watching me sleep? :wink:
Nah - just probability. ;) I picked Anchorage as the biggest population center (right?), and then added Barrow to cover a worst-case scenario.

Not that you're getting much sleep, considering the insane number of sunlight hours you guys get now. :)

--janak

dean_shan
07-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Not that you're getting much sleep, considering the insane number of sunlight hours you guys get now. :)

Yeah you end up sleeping a lot less in the summer. You just keep doing things and not relize how late it's getting. I don't mind it so much, I've never know anything different. It seems natural to me. The summer visitors on the other hand are a different story.

mrkablooey
07-17-2004, 01:48 AM
p.s. Apropos of nothing, check out sunrise and sunset in the latter link. They've got 2 minutes of night up there... although the Yahoo! Weather site can't quite handle that...

Ever see the movie Insomnia with Robin Williams and Al Pacino? There's a great scene in there when Al Pacino tells the rest of his fellow LEO's that they need to go to school and bust Robin Williams, a teacher. Al Pacino is looking outside at the bright sun when he suggests it. Apparently it was 10PM not AM. ;)

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 05:09 AM
I don't mind it so much, I've never know anything different. It seems natural to me. The summer visitors on the other hand are a different story.
Of course it would seem natural. :) What do the summer visitors say? ;)

Ever see the movie Insomnia with Robin Williams and Al Pacino?
Actually, no. I'll take your word for it. ;)

--janak

dean_shan
07-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Of course it would seem natural. :) What do the summer visitors say? ;)

They can't get over how weird (In their opinion) it is. Their internal clock is thrown way off and they can't sleep at all. They will tell you that they haven't slept a full night since they left home.

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Their internal clock is thrown way off and they can't sleep at all. They will tell you that they haven't slept a full night since they left home.
People find too many things to complain about. :P I'd love to have longer days!

--janak

milkman dan
07-21-2004, 08:06 PM
nope, I am not a milkman, my name is mearly dan and I love webcomics too much to be considered healthy. And on the topic of it not really being funny... TRUST ME, if your friends were paddling rafts down your street you would be laughing :D noone was hurt at any rate (with the exception of the insurance companys feelings)