View Full Version : Changing OS Language on Pocket PC

Rumpole
07-15-2004, 09:49 PM
I wonder if any of the wise souls on this board are able to help me with the answer to a question?

I am presently living in China and am quite interested in buying a friend's handheld computer - a Legend 100 Pocket PC. The only problem is that the Mobile Windows operating system is the Chinese version, which is not much use to me as I only know about 3 Chinese characters! :) Is there any way to load the English OS? I realize this is a little tricky, as it is loaded in ROM.

Any suggestions or other advice would be much appreciated.

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 09:55 PM
That's not going to be so simple. :( You'd need to acquire an English Legend ROM, along with a flashing tool that would let you do so. Apart from legality issues, finding an English Legend ROM may be difficult.

Unlike desktops, the OS is tightly integrated with the device, so you can't plug in a generic English-based Pocket PC OS...

--janak

Rumpole
07-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Janak.

I had realized it would not be an easy task. Legalities mean very little here in China, but you are quite right when you say it may be difficult to find an English Legend ROM. I'm not in Beijing or Shanghai and even tracking down regular pc software in English can be something of a challenge here (though not impossible).

I think I will stick to buying a machine that is already in English.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Janak Parekh
07-16-2004, 10:26 PM
I think I will stick to buying a machine that is already in English.
That's certainly your best bet. Legend might have internal builds or something, but I have zero idea if they're anywhere "in the wild".

Good luck!

--janak