View Full Version : CIA World Factbook 2003 Pocket PC Edition 1.0

Hedge
07-15-2004, 06:58 PM
CIA World Factbook 2003 Pocket PC Edition 1.0

http://www.pdatopsoft.com/software/item.php?pid=4052&

http://www.pdatopsoft.com/images/screenshots/img108983742492467600.gif

The United States has carried on foreign intelligence activities since the days of George Washington, but only since World War II have they been coordinated on a government-wide basis. The CIA World Factbook is one of three programs that have highlighted the development of coordinated basic intelligence since that time.

The World Factbook includes information on more than 260 countries and territories, with full-color maps and flags.

Each country listing includes:

Graphics, including a Flag and Map

Introduction, including a Historical Summary

Geography, including Location, Geographic Coordinates, Area, Comparative Area, Land Boundaries, Coastline, Maritime Claims, Climate, Terrain, Elevation Extremes, Natural Resources, Land Use, Irrigated Land, Natural Hazards, Current Environment Issues, International Environment Agreements, and General Notes

People, including Population, Age Structure, Median Age, Population Growth Rate, Birth Rate, Death Rate, Net Migration Rate, Sex Ratio, Infant Mortality Rate, Life Expectancy at Birth, Total Fertility Rate, HIV/AIDS Adult Prevalence Rate, People Living With HIV/AIDS, HIV/AIDS Deaths, Nationality, Ethnic Groups, Religions, Languages, Literacy, and General Notes

Government, including Country Name, Government Type, Capital, Administrative Divisions, Dependent Areas, Independence, National Holiday, Constitution, Legal System, Suffrage, Executive Branch, Legislative Branch, Judicial Branch, Political Parties/Leaders, Political Pressure Groups/Leaders, International Organization Participation, Diplomatic Representation in the US, Diplomatic Representation from the US, and Flag Description

Economy, including Overview, GDP, Real Growth Rate, Per Capita GDP, GDP Composition by Sector, Population below Poverty Line, Household Income/Consumption by Percentage Share, Distribution of Family Income, Consumer Price Inflation Rate, Labor Force, Labor Force by Occupation, Unemployment Rate, Budget, Industries, Industrial Production Growth Rate, Electricity Production, Electricity Production by Source, Electricity Consumption, Electricity Exports, Electricity Imports, Oil Production, Oil Consumption, Oil Exports, Oil Imports, Proven Oil Reserves, Natural Gas Production, Natural Gas Consumption, Natural Gas Exports, Natural Gas Imports, Proven Natural Gas Reserves, Agriculture Products, Exports, Commodities Exports, Export Partners, Imports, Commodities Imports, Import Partners, External Debt, Economic Aid (Recipient/Donor), Currency, Currency Code, Exchange Rates, and Fiscal Year

Communications, including Main Telephone Lines in Use, Mobile Cellular Telephones, Telephone System, Radio Broadcast Stations, Television Broadcast Stations, Internet Country Code, Internet Service Providers, and Internet Users

Transportation, including Railways, Highways, Waterways, Pipelines, Ports/Harbors, Merchant Marine, Airports, Airports with Paved Runways, and Airports with Unpaved Runways

Military, including Military Branches, Military Age, Manpower Availability, Manpower Fit for Military Service, Manpower Reaching Military Age Annually, Military Expenditures, and Military Expenditures as Percent of GDP

Transnational Issues, including International Disputes, and Illicit Drugs
Organized in a subject hierarchy and in an index, so navigation on your handheld is fast and easy.

pivaska
07-15-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't understand why this one isn't free as is the PC version. Are they not produced by the same "company?"

dean_shan
07-15-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't understand why this one isn't free as is the PC version. Are they not produced by the same "company?"

The PPC version was made using the CIA's Fact Book. They (not the CIA) are charging you for the translation of it to PPC size.

Jereboam
07-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Tomeraider, iSilo and Palm Reader/eReader users should note that you can get this for free at Memoware, along with many other throusands of publications and references.

I do not like seeing people or companies profit from work that is published for free. I don't know if there are any kind of licensing issues here, but unless you have an arrangement with the CIA this is public domain information and I have a moral objection to you charging for it. Sorry. The price, as well, of this one publication is a substantial portion of the purchase price of the other, imho, superior reader applications, for which the actual content is then absolutely free.

Tomeraider is my particular recommendation for its unbelievable speed searching through huge reference works.

J'bm

Jon Westfall
07-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Anyone ever using the PC version of it on PPC? How horribly does PIE screw it up?

pivaska
07-16-2004, 02:24 PM
It's 80 megs and they don't optimize so I haven't tried it. If you try it please post the results. I have the space but not the time.