View Full Version : Browsing the internet on a PPC?

donkey33
07-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm a real noob when it comes to PPC's. I've just been introduced to them and they intrigue me as I'd like to use one for internet browsing.

My knowledge at the moment with browsing is that they act like a small notebook. PPC's can still do everything any other PC can do just with a lot of scrolling and a smaller screen. If I want to do internet banking or check yahoo mail I can. Download whatever file onto a PPC in any format and transfer it across to a normal PC.

That's what I think but I may be way off. Can anyone help me with these browsing questions and whether I am on target with what I said or are they more limited than I think.

Thanks.

Darius Wey
07-15-2004, 12:48 PM
PPC's can still do everything any other PC can do just with a lot of scrolling and a smaller screen.

I hope you don't get the wrong impression of PPCs. Sure they are great little machines but are not as powerful as current PCs and cannot run normal PC programs. However, upcoming PPCs that are to be released will have processors up there in the mid 600MHz range and screens with higher resolutions (640x480). That aside, yes...PPCs are great for doing a vast array of things. If you want to check your mail and do your internet banking, you certainly can. Pocket Internet Explorer can handle most of your internet browsing needs, but if you seek a more powerful alternative, there is always NetFront and Thunderhawk which can be made available at your disposable. You certainly can download files on a PPC, and if you wish, you can transfer it across to PC via a number of ways (portable media storage, wireless transfer, USB transfer, etc.). Also, it is worth noting that there are thousands of PPC programs out there...so whatever you want to do on your PPC, I'm sure it can be accomplished.

Feel free to browse around the forums for more information.

Jereboam
07-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I would point out that I agree with everything above with one caveat - many secure sites will not accept connections from Pocket IE even if you can spoof the browser detection routine, and often for good reason.

And email is much better with a service that specifically supports access from a PDA. I have only ever used Runbox, but it is one of the reasons I chose them.

If your ONLY reasons for looking at Pocket PCs is web browsing I think you might be disappointed and I would urge you to look at Tablet PCs instead.

If you want a small, carry-with-you-everywhere device that does many things very well, then a Pocket PC is for you. Just be aware the small form factor brings compromises. And a further warning - for it to do most of those things very well, you will be buying a lot of third party software. Ultimately it is worth it (for me at least) but the out-of-the-box experience can be a little unconvincing.

Hope I haven't put you off, my iPaq rules my life, and I get a lot out of it.

For example, for me it covers -

PIM functions
Email
Web browsing
Ebook reading
Notepad
Secure information (PIN numbers, passwords etc)
Instant messaging
Document reviewing
Timers/stopwatch
Photo album viewing/storage
Dictionary (French, Russian)
Billing/expense tracking
Personal finance
World time/weather/currencies
GPS navigation
VoIP telephony
Games

Note, though, that with the exception of Skype for VoIP all those functions are performed by third party applications that I have bought. It represents quite an investment.

Again, I hope I haven't put you off.

J'bm

donkey33
07-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys.

I have wireless set up at my house so I'd mainly want to use it for the internet. Email, instant messaging, browsing, music, movies, games and downloading files. I am also writing notes and reminders on my phone (T610) so I would use the PPC to.

The reason I'm thinking of doing this is I just bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook for $2,700 AUD and I've found that all I've done on it so far is use the net (I use my desktop for everything but it can't get internet access) so I thought a $500 PPC would be sufficient enough for me to do those things and I save $2,200.

I suppose my main point was can a PPC access all types of websites. If I want to read some games reviews, etc, at a site, can I do this or check out a sports site such as nba.com. I don't mind the scrolling.

It's much easier to carry than a notebook too which is appealing and can do everything I used my notebook for.

Does that make it sound more convincing and does it sound to people like a good reason to get one while saving $2,200. As for the third party programs, I'll probably only need a browser and download manager so the extra costs shouldn't be too high.

Sven Johannsen
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
I have to ask

I have wireless set up at my house....

I use my desktop for everything but it can't get internet access.

Why? seems like a USB dongle or PCI slot WiFi card would take care of that issue. Or is there some other problem.

Jereboam
07-15-2004, 03:12 PM
I second the question about no desktop internet access...if you have a wifi AP then just grab a cheap wifi adapter for your desktop...bosh.

But as for Pocket PCs - sure, if you don't mind the scrolling then go for it. I would be tempted to wait a month or so and get a device with a VGA screen though. That will make the web browsing experience vastly superior, less scrolling and easier to read on screen.

Secure sites might give you problems but normal websites will be absolutely fine. You might want to look at a proxy service like Skweezer or as suggested above, Thunderhawk (http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/) has been well reviewed, even on QVGA screens.

If you just want to enhance Pocket IE then check out Multi IE (http://www.pocketmatrix.com/reviews/multiie/) which is excellent. It also integrates with Skweezer.

For downloading the only program I know of is VITO Mobile Downloader (http://vitotechnology.com/products/mobiledownloader.html) but it looks good and very usable. For large downloads you are looking at buying a memory card though...

Another thing to watch out for is battery life. Don't expect to run a wireless connection all day...a few hours is the max you are looking at. Therefore definitely rule out devices without swappable batteries, and you might want to look at extended battery options too.

There you go.

J'bm

donkey33
07-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys.

Why? seems like a USB dongle or PCI slot WiFi card would take care of that issue. Or is there some other problem.

I live within range of a free access point (Well, not free. I pay Uni fees so I have access to it) and I want the PPC to access this. I have installed PCI wifi cards and although they do pick the signal up, my PC doesn't recognise the connection for some reason and I can't surf the internet from it. I'm still playing around with it but I thought I'd strike up this conversation incase it didn't work out and I was going to get a PPC.

I thought about a PPC because the X30 I'm looking at is $550 where as I'd still pay $150 for a wifi card and have all the extras and portability of a PPC.

Jereboam, I'd love to wait for the VGA's but from what I've heard, they're going to be expensive and $550 is kind of all I'd want to spend on a PPC and I hear the VGA's will be double that price.

The only reason I don't like Thunderhawk is because it's a pay-by-the-month. This has turned me off as I'd rather pay up front and then own it forever. The VITO downloader was the one I was looking at too. It does everything I'd need it to do.

Thanks.

donkey33
07-16-2004, 02:38 AM
What's the other browser like. I hear Thunderhawk is the better one but I'm not up for the monthly fee.

Thanks

Darius Wey
07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
I live within range of a free access point (Well, not free. I pay Uni fees so I have access to it) and I want the PPC to access this. I have installed PCI wifi cards and although they do pick the signal up, my PC doesn't recognise the connection for some reason and I can't surf the internet from it. I'm still playing around with it but I thought I'd strike up this conversation incase it didn't work out and I was going to get a PPC.

donkey33, the reason this may be the case is you may have to establish the account with the uni itself. I know this because in the uni in my area, although they have the internet, there are in fact "two" separate flavours - one is normal access via their computers, and the other is access via a networked account with which you need authority from the uni itself. So before you can tap into their wireless network and access the internet, you need access privileges.

What's the other browser like. I hear Thunderhawk is the better one but I'm not up for the monthly fee.

I've got NetFront (if that's what you're referring to). I find it very good and it also comes with SmartFit and JustFit - these are technologies which, in most cases, help optimise the page and fit it within the screen of the PPC. With no monthly fees, you may like this one.

I thought about a PPC because the X30 I'm looking at is $550 where as I'd still pay $150 for a wifi card and have all the extras and portability of a PPC.

From what I've heard, the X30 is a good model and well worth it's price. Although I remember seeing in the ads every month that sometimes they have special offers and the price drops below A$550. I also noted you've been referring to everything in Australian dollars so I suspect you live in Australia. If you've looked in Myer lately, a lot of their PPCs have dropped significantly in price - for some reason, the h1940 and the h2210 are now the same price! I'm sure this signals the advent of the next-gen PPC models. If the eagerness is not bursting within you, you could try and wait a few months to see the prices of the new models when they arrive, or perhaps the non-VGA models will be even cheaper than what they are today!

But overall, it sounds like for your needs, the PPC will be a find addition to your other techy gear. It makes a very good personal manager on-the-go...especially if you're at uni studying. I've had my PPC for a while now and never looked back. I used to have a friend who "mocked" (well kind of...) me for spending money on a PPC claiming it was useless, until I showed him all the stuff it can do. He bought one two weeks ago (after I convinced him), and has never looked back. I sure taught him a lesson or two. :p

juni
07-16-2004, 09:43 AM
I strongly recommend PiePlus (http://www.reensoft.com/PIEPlus/) for enhanced browsing :)

Btw. I have a bluetooth dongle attached to my homepc and use the wireless netwoking profile.

Darius Wey
07-16-2004, 09:45 AM
I strongly recommend PiePlus (http://www.reensoft.com/PIEPlus/) for enhanced browsing :)

I've heard good reports of PIEPlus. Also, if you happen to purchase Spb Pocket Plus, you'll find that also makes enhancements to PIE itself.

donkey33
07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys. The reason I thought my wifi card or PC didn't work with the Uni account is because with my notebook, I can access the network flawlessly. It's no problem but on the PC it is.

NetFront sounds good to me. I don't know much about PIE but I'll check both of them out and definatly get one.

DJ, I'm leaning towards the X30 a lot more than any other because of the Windows 2003 SE. I like the idea of landscape mode and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no other PPC's running it are there?

Darius Wey
07-16-2004, 01:18 PM
DJ, I'm leaning towards the X30 a lot more than any other because of the Windows 2003 SE. I like the idea of landscape mode and correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no other PPC's running it are there?

I'd go for the X30. The WM2003SE is certainly enticing and so are the specifications. If I hadn't got my iPAQ a year ago, I'd go for the X30 now. There's a couple of other PPCs running WM2003SE, but in Australia, your best bet on finding one readily available on-demand would be the Dell.

Also, if you noticed some of the posts I've made recently, ACCESS just announced NetFront 3.2 with a bundle of new and updated features so I'd wait until they make it available. It'd certainly be an asset to your browsing experience on the PPC.

Also, perhaps with your PC not being able to access the Uni account, try checking firewall settings as sometimes they can affect it.

donkey33
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
I'd go for the X30. The WM2003SE is certainly enticing and so are the specifications. If I hadn't got my iPAQ a year ago, I'd go for the X30 now. There's a couple of other PPCs running WM2003SE, but in Australia, your best bet on finding one readily available on-demand would be the Dell.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking and not as cheap probably.

Also, if you noticed some of the posts I've made recently, ACCESS just announced NetFront 3.2 with a bundle of new and updated features so I'd wait until they make it available. It'd certainly be an asset to your browsing experience on the PPC.

Do you know when it'll be available? Is the date like months away of closer?

Also, perhaps with your PC not being able to access the Uni account, try checking firewall settings as sometimes they can affect it.

I've tried that already and so many other things. I think it has something to do with the IP addresses assigned by the router but I'm still looking into it. If I get this PPC, I won't have to worry about it. For stuff I need a full screen for, I have dial-up if need be as a last resort.

Also, I'm looking at getting the 312Mhz X30. I don't think I'll need the extra processor power for what I want to do. What are your thoughts on that? It's about $200 less for the 312Mhz.

Darius Wey
07-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Do you know when it'll be available? Is the date like months away of closer?

Probably within a couple of weeks knowing from past experiences.

I've tried that already and so many other things. I think it has something to do with the IP addresses assigned by the router but I'm still looking into it. If I get this PPC, I won't have to worry about it.

Yep, you could look into that. Thankfully, the pass-through connection used in ActiveSync doesn't worry about IP problems, and makes accessing the internet from the PPC a breeze. I use Bluetooth for my wireless PPC needs and it works very well.

Also, I'm looking at getting the 312Mhz X30. I don't think I'll need the extra processor power for what I want to do. What are your thoughts on that? It's about $200 less for the 312Mhz.

It sounds good. Basically get what you need. My Samsung 266MHz processor is more than capable of handling the demand of today's PPC applications. I tried out Virtual Pool Mobile the other day and got no lag whatsoever. I also gave BetaPlayer a go with DivX files and it couldn't have run any better. So your 312MHz should be fine even for high-demand multimedia needs.

donkey33
07-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Cool. Thanks for your help DJ.

One more question, where's the best place to get PPC software from?

Jereboam
07-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Either Handango (http://www.handango.com/) or PocketGear (http://www.pocketgear.com/) are the best sites out there for software. For games, I have started using Clickgamer (http://www.clickgamer.com/).

My preference is Handango, I like their layout more, and they seem to update the software they carry more often. I also find the user reviews more reliable there.

PocketGear has a good sale/freebie fest on at the moment, and I think Handango run a number of specials for new users.

Welcome to the world of the Pocket PC. Beware it gets addictive and expensive...if you're not a subscriber here that would be my first purchase. It has paid for itself a few times over with discounts (15% at Handango and PocketGear) and special subscriber offers.

J'bm

donkey33
07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks. What do you mean become a subscriber here? What would I be subscribing to?

I suppose I could still claim the discounts in $AUD.

Vidge
07-16-2004, 10:32 PM

I've heard good reports of PIEPlus. Also, if you happen to purchase Spb Pocket Plus, you'll find that also makes enhancements to PIE itself.

I have Spb Pocket Plus. Does PIEPlus do something that Spb doesn not? Do I need both?

Janak Parekh
07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks. What do you mean become a subscriber here? What would I be subscribing to?
He's referring to this (www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php). ;)

--janak

donkey33
07-17-2004, 02:44 AM
He's referring to this (www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php). ;)

--janak

Thanks. I searched for PPC forums in google and got these ones. I've actually never been to the main site. Well, you learn something everyday.

Janak Parekh
07-17-2004, 05:12 AM
Thanks. I searched for PPC forums in google and got these ones. I've actually never been to the main site.
Ha! You're missing out a little bit... but there are quite a few regulars that actually go straight to the forums. :)

--janak

Darius Wey
07-17-2004, 07:46 AM
I have Spb Pocket Plus. Does PIEPlus do something that Spb doesn not? Do I need both?

I'm not 100% sure what features are in PIEPlus. But the PIE enhancements offered in Spb Pocket Plus are good enough for me. But then again, I use NetFront anyway as my main browser. 8)

One more question, where's the best place to get PPC software from?

No problems. As Jereboam said - the main centrepoints for PPC software are Handango and Pocketgear. But I personally prefer Handango.

Jereboam
07-17-2004, 08:43 AM
PIE Plus does some reformatting to avoid scrolling...ie instead of a big fat web page you have to scroll all over, it sqeezes it all into a long thin web page to fit the PPC screen width. You can also make PIE appear to be IE6 etc etc

That would be the killer feature over Spb Pocket Plus.

Check their site...

J'bm

Darius Wey
07-17-2004, 09:06 AM
You can also make PIE appear to be IE6

Fortunately, a lot of this can be done in the registry.

Also, as a side note, you can also do this for NetFront but not through the registry - instead you have to modify the UserAgent setting in the settings page of NetFront.

Vidge
07-17-2004, 07:35 PM
PIE Plus does some reformatting to avoid scrolling...ie instead of a big fat web page you have to scroll all over, it sqeezes it all into a long thin web page to fit the PPC screen width. You can also make PIE appear to be IE6 etc etc

That would be the killer feature over Spb Pocket Plus.

Check their site...

J'bm

I'll check it out. This would be solved, of course, with the WM2003SE upgrade that we won't be getting :(

rez13
07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
To go back to Donkey33's original post I would add that it all depends on whether website developers can be bothered to support handheld devices; it's not as simple as it might appear, that is just because a site works on your PC/Mac is no guarantee it will work on your PDA/phone. This (tekkie-ish) article (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/04/12/index4a.html?tw=design) discusses the problems.

buzzard
07-17-2004, 08:59 PM
[/quote]Also, as a side note, you can also do this for NetFront but not through the registry - instead you have to modify the UserAgent setting in the settings page of NetFront.[/quote]

What settings do you change in the UserAgent area and what do the changes do that you can't do with the standard settings ?

Darius Wey
07-18-2004, 06:52 AM
What settings do you change in the UserAgent area and what do the changes do that you can't do with the standard settings ?

These settings are the UserAgent profiles that define what the browser makes itself appear as to websites. You can make NetFront appear as IE 6, Firefox, etc. This helps because occassionally, some websites look out for an IE tag attached to your browser before they allow you access. Sometimes, you may get a message saying "You need Internet Explorer to do so-and-so". This is where modifying the UserAgent settings can help.

buzzard
07-18-2004, 12:57 PM
I see where changes can be made in the User Agent section but where do you find out what changes create what results ?
Mine is set at Netfront 3.1 standard which is the basic setting and I've only found one secure site that won't allow the browser to enter.

Darius Wey
07-19-2004, 03:49 AM
I see where changes can be made in the User Agent section but where do you find out what changes create what results ?
Mine is set at Netfront 3.1 standard which is the basic setting and I've only found one secure site that won't allow the browser to enter.

That's the catch. Some secure sites require IE for access. So to make NetFront appear like IE in circumstances like that will be a bonus.

So you can edit one of the "---" profiles and enter IE-like tags.

For example:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)

Something along the lines of that. I hope that answered your question because I didn't quite get what you were asking. :D

juni
07-19-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm not 100% sure what features are in PIEPlus.

It formats the pages (and does a very very good job) like Opera for handhelds - it makes them long instead of wide so you don't have to scroll left-right, just up-down. This is what SE supposedly does for PIE. It also shows pages in full screen.