View Full Version : Imate screen issue

dockhurram
07-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi!

I wonder if somebody can help me.

I have bought an Imate today. It works fine but I have noticed that on highlighted text, the underlying text changes color to dirty yellow. This is random and does not affect all the text only a few letters. Once you unhighlight the text the color returns to normal.

Anybody come across this before or is this device specific?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
07-15-2004, 08:17 PM
This might be an artifact of ClearType being enabled -- that is, the antialiasing may cause some color effects when highlighted. You can try turning it off (I think the option is in Screen) and see if it vanishes, and if it does you can make a decision which of the two setups you prefer. ;)

--janak

dockhurram
07-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Thank you Janak,

I disabled the cleartype and soft reset the imate.

And bingo the problem disappeared!

Thanks a lot

Ryan Joseph
07-18-2004, 03:27 AM
Apparently this is a problem with the build of the OS or something. I have the same problem with my i-mate and I've heard of others dealing with the same thing. I noticed it only occured when I installed the latest OS update, 1.72.

Hopefully, the next one will fix it. :roll:

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 04:21 AM
Apparently this is a problem with the build of the OS or something. I have the same problem with my i-mate and I've heard of others dealing with the same thing. I noticed it only occured when I installed the latest OS update, 1.72.
I think it's a "problem" with ClearType as it stands on a number of Pocket PCs, as I think I've seen it elsewhere. I haven't found it significant enough to worry about it, since I'm not highlighting text all the time, but it's interesting that they tweaked it in the latest ROM. Does the i-mate have a ClearType tuner?

--janak

Ryan Joseph
07-18-2004, 01:50 PM
I think it's a "problem" with ClearType as it stands on a number of Pocket PCs, as I think I've seen it elsewhere.

Really? I've never seen it on another device and ClearType worked fine on my i-mate until I installed the newest ROM update. Interesting.

Does the i-mate have a ClearType tuner?

No. ClearType is either on or off. And I notice the problem in places other than highlighting, too. If the text is very small, the edges turn yellow or blue sometimes. I've even seen red on occation. :)

When might we see an SE upgrade for the i-mate? Perhaps they'll correct the problem there.

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Really? I've never seen it on another device and ClearType worked fine on my i-mate until I installed the newest ROM update. Interesting.
Can't remember where, but how else would I have guessed the original poster's problem? :mrgreen:

If the text is very small, the edges turn yellow or blue sometimes. I've even seen red on occation. :)
Well, that I see on all of my 240x320 LCDs running ClearType -- it's good, but it's rarely absolutely perfect in its antialiasing. It's quite a bit better on 480x640 screens since the pixel size is so much smaller.

When might we see an SE upgrade for the i-mate? Perhaps they'll correct the problem there.
A better question is if we'll see an SE upgrade.

--janak

Ryan Joseph
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
A better question is if we'll see an SE upgrade.

I hear that. :?
Being that this is (currently) the most advanced Phone Edition on the market, you'd think they would make it a priority to release an update for it........but I guess not. They want us all to buy the XDA III when it comes out. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-19-2004, 12:13 AM
They want us all to buy the XDA III when it comes out. :mrgreen:
You don't sound that upset at that potential prospect. :P ;)

--janak

Ryan Joseph
07-19-2004, 12:37 AM
You don't sound that upset at that potential prospect. :P ;)

Not really. :)
I can't wait for the XDA III anyway. All an SE upgrade for my i-mate would provide is enjoyment right now. It would also increase the resale value. :mrgreen: