View Full Version : PPC's with Intel's 3d chip (2700), VGA screens, and PXA270 chips, CF slot, etc.

GoldenTiger
07-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Anyone know when any PPC's with the new 3d chips, vga screen, PXA270 chip (ie a 624mhz CPU), and CF/SDIO slots are coming out? I've looked around the forums and the news areas, but I can't really find much info from what I've seen. Someone posted that the Asus A730 will have the 3d chip in it (Intel's 2700), but I haven't seen this confirmed elsewhere.

As a sidenote, how long do you think it will take for more games/apps using VGA and the 2700 3d chip, video players taking advantage of the new multimedia capabilties of these chips, etc. to come out?

Finally, anyone hear of any PPC's with 4 or more buttons on the right-hand side of the d-pad, or one with the d-pad on the left and the 4 buttons on the right that have these features? I'm very interested in buying a PPC in the next few months or so (maybe longer if it takes that long for the kind of PPC I'm looking for to come out), hence all my questions :).

Thanks for any replies!

Chucky
07-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Well I guess all you can do is keep your fingers crossed that the A730 does come with all that you mentioned above. I'm hoping it will and that a dual wireless version wont be too far behind. I don't really look forward to paying so much more for an iPaq...

As for software that takes advantage of the new graphics chip, well I expect that video players will be the first to take advantage of it. If I have some spare time I'll have a bit of a play around with OpenGL ES - however these days I don't have enough time to dedicate towards making a half decent game.

If a game developers could rely on Intel releasing a hardware accelerated version of Open GL ES then game developers could start right now and it would be simply a matter of swapping a DLL file once the new hardware is released.

One possibility is Windows Media Player will already have hardware acceleration, that would be nice, chuck in the 512mb SD card and enjoy high quality movies and decent frame rates straight out of the box :)

milkman dan
07-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Golden tiger, you should hold off a little longer and wait for the next next gen machines, becuase they will have DIRECT X BABY!!!! untill then I am sticking with my 2200

GoldenTiger
07-15-2004, 10:04 PM
How long will it take for those machines with DirectX and 3d chips to be released? Any rumors or facts about them? I really want my PPC as much for games as business, so it's very important to me to have excellent gaming capabilities :).