View Full Version : Is this the correct Aim that i can use?

tbo
07-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Okay i feel like a total cheesehead asking this but i am looking for Aim for my Tosh e805...Am i correct in saying this is the version i need?

http://www.handango.com/aolsoftware/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=506&catalog=0§ionId=0&productType=2&platformId=2&productId=43336

Brad Adrian
07-14-2004, 04:36 AM
That's the one. Unfortunately, as the site shows, you'll have to pay for this version. The earlier version was free and still works just fine with todya's new devices, but it's no longer available for downloading (AFAIK).

OSUKid7
07-14-2004, 04:47 AM
That's the one. Unfortunately, as the site shows, you'll have to pay for this version. The earlier version was free and still works just fine with todya's new devices, but it's no longer available for downloading (AFAIK).Well, yes and no...if you search the AOL FTP it's there. It's in the UK folder though, but works just fine for me. I'm a huge anti-piracy advocate, so this cuts it a little close. I know it's not illegal to use the UK version, but still...any thoughts on that? Anyway...it's still around on the AOL servers so I use it. :|

Steven Cedrone
07-14-2004, 04:18 PM
I have a hard time with piracy as well. As far as this goes: I don't use AIM. They (AOL) appeared to have done nothing more than take the existing version (the same one that is available on the UK FTP site and slap a $20.00 price tag on it. Do they have the right to do that? Absolutely! Is it right? I leave that to you AIM users to decide...

Steve

OSUKid7
07-14-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a hard time with piracy as well. As far as this goes: I don't use AIM. They (AOL) appeared to have done nothing more than take the existing version (the same one that is available on the UK FTP site and slap a $20.00 price tag on it. Do they have the right to do that? Absolutely! Is it right? I leave that to you AIM users to decide...Yeah...I agree it's fine for AOL to charge if they want to, but is it not also my right to use the UK version? Hmm...I need to fnd the install file again to re-read the EULA.

edit: well...I downloaded it again, and there is no licence. :|

Steven Cedrone
07-14-2004, 04:46 PM

Which means the original poster should not buy the $20.00 version, he should just download the free version (with a clear conscience)...

Steve

OSUKid7
07-14-2004, 05:27 PM

Which means the original poster should not buy the $20.00 version, he should just download the free version (with a clear conscience)...heh...yeah...the " :| " was my debating the clear conscience issue. Meh, if it's available for free with no real licence, even I use it.