View Full Version : Sprite Backup Problems!!! Help!

apanther28
07-12-2004, 05:12 PM
I went out of town and let my IPAQ's battery run all the way down. Syncing didnt work (i have no idea why). It asked me to establish a new partnership. So I was trying to restore from my Sprite Backup file, and it didn't work. It said that there was a Sprite Backup had a problem connecting to the device. I knew this couldn't be right because Activesync stayed connected the whole time and I saw the device in My Computer, with no interruptions the whole time.

I have all of my software backed up (ARMs), but I would have to reinstall all of them individually. Also, most of my games and other programs are on the CF and SD cards, so they won't be too hard to fix. Is there anything else I can do? What good is the utility if this happens? :(

Raynne
07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Did you run any of the self Extracting backup files? I always have my backups done automatically every week, and it uses the .exe so all I have to do is run it like a cab file, and it reinstalls everything. There is also an option that you may want to look at that will backup when the battery gets to a certain percentage.

tanalasta
07-13-2004, 05:33 AM
Where are your Sprite backup files stored? On the computer or on the pocketPC device?

It sounded like you have them on the computer and are trying to restore from your PC.

If you haven't already spent time manually restoring your device, or this is not already the case, copy the relevant Sprite backup file from your PC to your storage card. Use a card-reader, activesync guest partnership, whatever.

Open file-explorer and double click on the file. Is it an .exe self-extracting backup file? If so - problem solved. If it isn't then I'm afraid you'll have to install Sprite pocketbackup before being able to run the backup file.

The other alternative is to create a new partnership and try restoring from the PC.

But for all future times you'll need to run a restore, make sure you create self-extracting archives in the Sprite-backup options. It's a real time-saver.

apanther28
07-13-2004, 05:12 PM
The file was on my CF card. I will try to do it again tonight and see what happens. I was too busy watching the All-Star Games festivities last night. Thanks a lot.

apanther28
07-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Well, I finally got it to work. thinking ahead, I actually had another copy of the backup on my desktop. I deleted the one on the CF card, then copied the one from the desktop back to the CF card. Then using Resco file explorer, I selected it, and it auto-ran and restored everything. I hink that the copy on the CF card had somehow gotten corrupted. Thanks for the help.

tanalasta
07-15-2004, 04:05 AM
I'm glad to hear you got it working again. But I'd still like to find out what went wrong if it's possible. I don't suppose you'd have kept the backup log (Sprite keeps one as a text file).

Does anybody know if my pocketpc automatic 'power-off' timer (for 3 minutes) will turn off my PPC during a backup?

apanther28
07-15-2004, 09:17 PM
I'll try to check the backup log tonight to see what went wrong and let you know.