View Full Version : can i use a pocket pc insted of pen n paper

nech
07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
hello. in about a week i will be studying, i was just wondering if i would be able to use a pocket pc insted of using a pen and paper all togeather.

rhmorrison
07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
With a Tablet PC - YES, with a Pocket PC - UNLIKELY.

Robb Bates
07-12-2004, 04:17 PM
But don't think that having a PPC will be a waste of time and effort. I take notes regularly with my PPC. But I'll usually have a pencil and paper handy, just in case I need to draw a graph or write an equation.

Maybe this is a good thread for everyone to list any note-taking software they know of...

Robb

nech
07-13-2004, 02:17 AM
ok thanks but i dont think im gonna spend $4000 on a tablet pc just yet

Janak Parekh
07-13-2004, 04:13 AM
ok thanks but i dont think im gonna spend $4000 on a tablet pc just yet
They're not quite that expensive, but yes, they cost more than Pocket PCs.

The problem with notetaking on Pocket PCs is that the surface area is rather small, and taking extensive notes is a bit of a chore. It's certainly doable, but a tablet, resembling standard-size note paper, is a lot more comfortable. :)

--janak

nech
07-13-2004, 09:29 AM
i live in aus. what about if i had a keyboard on my ppc would it be alright for lots of notes

tanalasta
07-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Can you type as fast and effectively on a keyboard? Including text-formatting as you could if you were concentrating on handwriting the notes?

I've tried using a PPC to take notes in lectures and it works. But not as well as pen & paper. That said, I am fairly proficient at using calligrapher and / or letter recognizer. However, I find that notes on PPC tend to be not as comprehensive, harder to read and full of typo's.

Stick to pen and paper. Use your PPC as a reference and PIM tool :) That's what it was designed for!

nech
07-13-2004, 12:43 PM
ok thanks for the fast responce

Robb Bates
07-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Pen and Paper vs. PPC. There was an article about that.

I can type much faster than I can write, but writing is much more free form. Aye, there's the rub!

That's why I use both for taking notes. My PPC set up with the HP foldable keyboard with a notepad sitting next to it. I guess one of those digitizing tablets like the Smart Pad for the PPC are worth looking into.

Robb

Kowalski
07-13-2004, 07:03 PM
With a Tablet PC - YES, with a Pocket PC - UNLIKELY.
totaly agree. you can take small notes but if you want to type more, PPC is not so handy. i suggest you to buy to buy a psion or jornado 720 style handheld pc

Robb Bates
07-13-2004, 07:22 PM
you can take small notes but if you want to type more, PPC is not so handy.

Unless you have a foldable keyboard. Then it's better than other devices with small keyboards.

Robb