View Full Version : Microdrive with 4700

Chucky
07-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Since the 4700 is going to be my next PDA of choice I had better get used of the CF slot - indeed I should embrace it, thats why I am looking forward to hopefully seeing the prices of CF microdrives dropping.

However there is still going to be the issue of battery life, even with the 1800mA monster ;) so just wondering if anyone has any clue on how battery life will compare with solid state memory. I imagine for audio with decent caching it wouldn't be too bad, however the reason for getting a 5gig harddrive would be so I could take a few decent quality movies with me. So any idea?

Also, does anyone know if the 4700 has USB host? It would be cheaper to buy a 120gig harddrive with external case and power supply then a single 5gig CF microdrive :evil:

Janak Parekh
07-11-2004, 05:56 AM
However there is still going to be the issue of battery life, even with the 1800mA monster ;) so just wondering if anyone has any clue on how battery life will compare with solid state memory. I imagine for audio with decent caching it wouldn't be too bad, however the reason for getting a 5gig harddrive would be so I could take a few decent quality movies with me. So any idea?
If you use a playback program with caching, the life should be decent. Sustained Microdrive access will drain the battery quickly, even if it's coupled with a larger battery.

Also, does anyone know if the 4700 has USB host? It would be cheaper to buy a 120gig harddrive with external case and power supply then a single 5gig CF microdrive :evil:
I have no clue, but I wouldn't bet on it, because no iPAQ to date has had USB host.

--janak

Pony99CA
07-11-2004, 07:44 AM
I have no clue, but I wouldn't bet on it, because no iPAQ to date has had USB host.
According to the "hx4700 - specs" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29538), it has a USB 2.0 client connector, which would imply no host connector.

Steve

Dazbot
07-12-2004, 06:41 PM
According to the "hx4700 - specs" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29538), it has a USB 2.0 client connector, which would imply no host connector.

Steve

I/O Port Description: 1 headphone jack, 1 - 22 pin USB 2.0 client connector, 1 DC power jack connector for AC/DC adapter connection, USB and Serial, SIR and FIR Support

from that description I'd say it has two USB ports, one of which could be USB Host

Anyone know what the port in the bottom corner is? It may be a non standard port replacement for the expansion sleeve or a USB port to replace the expansion sleeve.