View Full Version : Upgrade to Windows Mobile SE edition???

kahchong
07-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I am currently using the Windows Mobile 2003 that is pre-installed on my HP IPAQ h4150. Hearing about the newly released Windows Mobile 2003 SE edition, I would like to know how can I upgrade to the Windows Mobile 2003 SE edition for free.

Also, please let me know what is the new and interesting features of the new Windows Mobile 2003 SE edition.

Thanks!

Kah Chong.

Sven Johannsen
07-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Currently the only way you can upgrade your 4150 to WM2003SE for free is to trade it to someone for a Tosiba and upgrade it, or trade it to someone for a PPC that already has it installed.

HP has not released an update yet, for any of it's models. It is unlikely that it will be free when they do, (legally).

Do a search on WM2003 SE either here or google to find the changes. The biggest ones are native landscape support with dynamic switching (no need to soft reset to change orientation), and support for higher resolution displays, which won't make any difference to you, because it would require a new LCD to take advantage of it.

milkman dan
07-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Honestly, I doubt you would really want the upgrade, the negative aspects seem to terribly outweigh the pro's

Pony99CA
07-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Also, please let me know what is the new and interesting features of the new Windows Mobile 2003 SE edition.
Here's a review of WM 2K3 SE (http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=408) from pocketnow. Brighthand also did one, but I'll let you search for that link. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
07-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Honestly, I doubt you would really want the upgrade, the negative aspects seem to terribly outweigh the pro's
You can't make that statement without further explanation. What "negative aspects" are you referring to?

As for me, on-the-fly landscaping alone would almost justify the upgrade. Single-column mode in Pocket IE would also be a great feature.

Steve

arnage2
07-10-2004, 10:25 PM
there are alot of networking (wifi) fixes in the new os, too.

c'mon how can u pass up landscape?

Ed Hansberry
07-11-2004, 01:16 AM
What negative aspects?

Kowalski
07-11-2004, 04:20 PM
i've read some complaints about PIE usage on 640x480 resolution screens (e800)i maybe wrong but the image sizes and the formatting was the issue

apart from that i am waiting the upgrade too.
i'll buy and upgrade or change my fancy 2215 with a x30 until the wonderfull a70 wifi version hits the shelves

milkman dan
07-11-2004, 06:06 PM
You can't make that statement without further explanation. What "negative aspects" are you referring to?

As for me, on-the-fly landscaping alone would almost justify the upgrade. Single-column mode in Pocket IE would also be a great feature.

The onl.y problem I have is the GAPI issue. On-the-fly lanscapeing is nice, but not when it comes with an on-the-fly hard reset as well :( Dunno, maybe the new devices will have that gapi stuff all fixed up :D I am personally holding off for the new installment of PPC that will have directX implimented :D
<3 DX