View Full Version : Question about Outlook

Zab
07-09-2004, 04:44 PM
What is the difference between Outlook Express and Outlook 2003 ( or the newest variation out there ). I ask because i currently use Outlook Express on my computer but most of the PPCs ive seen and the one ive ordered come with Outlook 2003. Is there really any difference other than having the same one for syncing ?

Also, are there any benefits to either one?

smashcasi
07-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Outlook Express is Microsoft's free email client while the full blown package includes calendar, contact, and note management (among other things). As far as synchronization goes, your life will be much easier with standard Outlook. There are means available to synchronize your Pocket PC with Outlook Express but it's not supported out of the box. Considering how flaky ActiveSync can be sometimes I'd suggest sticking with Outlook 2003.

Zab
07-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Outlook Express is Microsoft's free email client while the full blown package includes calendar, contact, and note management (among other things). As far as synchronization goes, your life will be much easier with standard Outlook. There are means available to synchronize your Pocket PC with Outlook Express but it's not supported out of the box. Considering how flaky ActiveSync can be sometimes I'd suggest sticking with Outlook 2003.

thank you very much for the info. ill be loading standard outlook as soon as my PPC gets here.

Jason Dunn
07-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Outlook 2003 is the best companion software for your Pocket PC. :-)

Brad Adrian
07-09-2004, 10:48 PM
And, of course, Outlook Express doesn't have a calendar function.

OSUKid7
07-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Outlook is included with most Pocket PCs, right? At least it was with both of my iPaqs.

tanalasta
07-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Outlook tends to be bundled with PocketPC's but not neccesarily the latest version. Nor does it tend to be bundled with many desktops these days... My Dell came with Microsoft Works and I needed to acquire a copy of Office 2003 Professional :P

I strongly recommended Outlook 2003 compared to Outlook Express having just recently done the upgrade. For one, Outlook 2003 very rarely "breaks". It's also a lot more functional and allows for better customization for your needs. And it syncs with your PocketPC just fine :)

Jon Westfall
07-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Outlook 2003 also has refined the "Mark for Followup" flag feature to make it more friendly to casual procrastinators. The flag is now included by default after the date the mail was sent, making it easy to click and forget about... Until you find 20 "For Followup" items waiting for you :(

I've used Outlook since 1997 and find it is great if you need all of its features (Which I do). Outlook Express, however, is pretty decent if you're just a casual user.