View Full Version : Activesync "Guest"

BTS
07-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Here is a strange one. Previously, I have been syncing fine between my desktop and my laptop. No problems with connecting and a full synchronization of all of my data.

Last week I tried synching with my desktop and rather than recognize my PPC (SAL9000) it said that "GUEST" was connected. I could move files and install software but there's no sync on my Outlook or Money data. I tried over and over, switched USB ports, etc. I connect but only as GUEST. I even uninstalled Activesync and downloaded the most recent version. The first time I made a connection it recognized my PPC as SAL9000 and synced all of my info to Outlook. The next time I put the PPC in the cradel it said GUEST was connected.

I finally decided to give up on the desktop and went to sync with my trusty laptop. Guess what? GUEST is connected, not SAL9000. I finally went and checked the device ID - SAL9000. I tried changing it. Still get GUEST when I connect. I changed it back to SAL9000 (which both Activesyncs expect) and it still connects as GUEST.

I have not installed anything new to either computer (except Win XP auto updates) and the only new program on my PPC would be the latest Pocket Informant upgrade.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give!

Ed Hansberry
07-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Try this: On the PC, run: regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Now reboot your PC and soft reset your Pocket PC

BTS
07-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Thank you for replying, Ed. The DLL registration was successful but after re-booting twice and soft resetting my PPC it's still connecting as GUEST. It's rather frustrating considering that I've never had an Activesync problem up until now. Darn! There goes the law of averages! :D

Asisi
07-18-2004, 03:14 PM
BTS,
Were you able to solve your problem? I started having the exact same issue last week

Thanks,
AM

BTS
07-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Asisi,

No, I never could fix it. I finally just did a hard reset of my machine and reinstalled everything. The only thing that MAY have done it was that I had also installed the Deja Mass Storage Driver (to read USB thumbdrives off of my Toshiba). The problem seemed to have cropped up after that. Honestly, though, I really have no idea if this was an Activesync problem or a PPC problem.

Janak Parekh
07-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear you had to do a hard reset. :( If it crops up again, take a glance at http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/activesync/guest.htm and see if it's of any help... although those focus on desktop-centric issues.

--janak

Asisi
07-19-2004, 11:15 PM
OK. I tried pretty much all the suggestions from Chris De Herrera's Activesync Troubleshooting Guide and I'm still connecting only as Guest.

I'm getting ready for the hard reset. Any suggestions on how to do it without losing any information?

Thanks,
Asisi