View Full Version : SYNC HELP

wirelesscop
07-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a situation I have had w/my HP 2215. I have had the unit for about 11 months now. I really rarely use it. In fact I use it so infrequently that I am CONSTANTLY having to reload all the programs into it as the battery dies and the memory depletes. Anyway... A few weeks ago, I attempted to reinstall all the files back into the PPC as I have become acustom to. After attemtping to get an ActiveSync connection for about an hour or so, I was unsuccessful. I have tried EVERYTHING! Prior to having this problem, I NEVER had a problem syncing the PPC to my computer. All of a sudden it went screwy! The other day, I called HP support and found out that I have about (1) month left of my warranty left. (Thank goodness!) While I am on the phone w/ tech support, going through all the "simon says" instructions... I get this error message that pops up on the screen that says to "Replace my internal battery...etc..." So, now I apparently can't sync my PPC anymore and I have a dud of a battery. I was even asked to try the connection on another computer, which I did...and the computer still couldn't detect the PPC. The good news is that the tech person advised that I am still in warranty and that they are going to take a look at it. Has anyone else out there had problems like this? Lastly, is there a way to sync using the IR port? If so, can someone please tell me how to do it? When ActiveSync tried to detect the PPC, the IR port IS read as available. Not sure if that means anything though. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Janak Parekh
07-07-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't know why you're having trouble ActiveSyncing -- can you give us the precise error you're getting?

As for your battery, letting it drain is the worst thing possible -- that is indeed capable of ruining it. :(

--janak

Dazbot
07-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Is the internal battery the backup battery, if it is then I bet its also been discharged after the main battery has gone flat.

If your not going to use the device for a while and u have a memory card with about 40MB free use iPAQ Backup to make a complete backup to the memory card then disconnect the battery by holding down the calender and itask buttons and pushing the rest button underneath with the stylus.

You could also remove the battery if it will not be used .

This means it will take only 30 or so minutes to get back up and running by putting the battery back in and pushing reset, then loading iPAQ Backup and restoring the backup.

wirelesscop
07-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies already.

As far as a specific error...there is none, in regards to the NON-SYNC issue that is... You know how normally when you plug a USB device into the USB port, Windows XP will tell you that it's detecting a device... Well, the HP 2215 isn't being detected on both of my laptops. I have tried other devices attached to the USB port and they DO get recognized. It's the weirdest thing! The PPC USED to be detected as soon as I plugged the cradle or the stand alone USB to PPC cable into the computers' USB port...but now NOTHING happens. Can I assume that the PPC has gone deaf? Truely weird! And the kicker is that I have RARELY used it since I purchased it almost a year ago. It's more of a toy than a necessity in my life. I can see if I used it 24/7...that it might "break..." but it's harder to accept that there is something wrong w/ it seeing as how I never really use it. Murphy's Law I guess... :roll:

Janak Parekh
07-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I'm assuming you tried a hard reset, just for the heck of it? It's certainly possible a hardware problem. :( Does XP even make any "plugged-in ba-ding" sound?

Devices do sometimes go bad out of inuse -- especially things like the battery. :| Contacts also get dusty, etc.

--janak

wirelesscop
07-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey,

Yes, I hard-reset the system. I have done everthing short of waving my magic wand over it. (Course I wish I even had a magic wand...) I am at a loss. I am hoping that HP can fix / replace it as it's still under warranty. We shall see!

:oops: