View Full Version : Thoughts Sites Not Working

dean_shan
07-05-2004, 11:14 PM
I having a weird problem. Not of the Thoughts websites are loading on my network. I have tried multiple computers (both mac & win) and different web browsers (Safari, IE, FireFox). All other Internet sites work perfectly just not the thoughts sites. Any ideas?

BTW before people post 'How did you get on to ask us?' I'm at a friends place right now

OSUKid7
07-05-2004, 11:37 PM
All are working fine here. I'm guessing you should contact the site admin (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/contact.php) about that.

Jason Dunn
07-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Everything seems to be working fine on this end - is your friend on the same network as you? If not, it might be a networking issue on your end - perhaps a DNS problem.

Don Tolson
07-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Exactly what isn't working? Are the pages not showing up? Are you getting 404 errors? Are you getting 'Server not found'? Some more details would help.

I do notice that with DigitalMediaThoughts.com, I occassionally have the problem where my Sphbot software intercepts an attempt to download spyware, then will not load the rest of the page.

Jason Dunn
07-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Try a tracert and post the results here...

Janak Parekh
07-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I do notice that with DigitalMediaThoughts.com, I occassionally have the problem where my Sphbot software intercepts an attempt to download spyware, then will not load the rest of the page.
I doubt this has anything to do with the original poster... but none of the TM sites use spyware. Is it possible that you're blocking a cookie?

--janak

ctmagnus
07-06-2004, 02:29 AM
I used to have the same issue on DMT (PPCT for a while before that). What it is, is Spybot Search & Destroy has its bad downloads plugin set to "Block all bad pages silently". If you set it to "Ask for blocking confirmation" or "Display dialog when blocking" the problem should go away.

What I did to get around the issue is uninstall Spybot S&D and install AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) in it's place.

dean_shan
07-06-2004, 04:38 PM
I used to have the same issue on DMT (PPCT for a while before that). What it is, is Spybot Search & Destroy has its bad downloads plugin set to "Block all bad pages silently". If you set it to "Ask for blocking confirmation" or "Display dialog when blocking" the problem should go away.

What I did to get around the issue is uninstall Spybot S&D and install AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) in it's place.

Nope it wouldn't be that becasue it doesn't work on my Mac either.

dean_shan
07-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Everything seems to be working fine on this end - is your friend on the same network as you? If not, it might be a networking issue on your end - perhaps a DNS problem.

Same ISP just different home networks. I had no problems before but when I came back from camping I couldn't visit PPCT, DMT, and Gmail swap. Those are the only sites that my computers won't see. I pinged them and I get no results. Do you think I should just hard reset my WiFi router?

ctmagnus
07-06-2004, 05:07 PM

Nope it wouldn't be that becasue it doesn't work on my Mac either.

Actually, my response was to Janek's post directly above mine, regarding Don Tolson's Spybot issue ;)

But I know what it feels like to have sites not "work". :( I frequently have issues with www.gpspassion.com and www.vajacases.com . Although I find that if I do a bucnh of stuff to the site in Sam Spade (http://www.samspade.org/ssw/) I can sometimes access the site after a few minutes.

Janak Parekh
07-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Same ISP just different home networks. I had no problems before but when I came back from camping I couldn't visit PPCT, DMT, and Gmail swap. Those are the only sites that my computers won't see. I pinged them and I get no results. Do you think I should just hard reset my WiFi router?
As Jason implied, try a tracert to each of the websites and post back what you get. That'll help us debug. You can also try pinging the server and/or doing an nslookup, which will see if a DNS-to-IP lookup is happening successfully.

--janak

dean_shan
07-08-2004, 04:53 AM
<Update>
I hard-rest the router and unpluged the modem and router and let it sit for a couple of hours. Once I plugged them both in and set-up the router everthing worked. I have now PPCT and DMT again!!! :D

OSUKid7
07-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Congrats! :way to go:

Jason Dunn
07-09-2004, 12:40 AM
<Update>
I hard-rest the router and unpluged the modem and router and let it sit for a couple of hours. Once I plugged them both in and set-up the router everthing worked. I have now PPCT and DMT again!!! :D

That's absolutely freaky!

dean_shan
07-09-2004, 02:24 AM
That's absolutely freaky!

Yeah no one could figure out what went wrong.

ctmagnus
07-09-2004, 04:08 AM
I'd guess something with the routing tables. :P