View Full Version : palm vs ppc

menajemh
07-04-2004, 04:36 PM
yes my friends, pocket pc and palms are 2 different worls, palm is the low level, for people who doesn't know how to use this things and don't want to use the brain, so this is the best for them, but will be forever limited with the palm capacities to do, ppc needs a litle time to learn, but once u know how to use it is the best u ever got. the dream is: when are we going to see pocket pcs with more than 2 megapixel camera, that can record larg videos, with cell phone integrated, to be small and light like the ipaq 4150 wireless and bluetooth, large storage capacity, more than 200 gb and processors omparable to p4 3.6 ghz or more, slots for mini hd for over 200 gb and progectors, large batery durability like, for a week to don't need to be charged after using it all the time, or maybe a solar charger integrated, gps integrated and having the laser keyboard integrated too, pluss all the wonderfull tools that we buy the separatly, and all this by a reasonable price, for shure the first ones will be very expensive, but not for long time, write your dream about pocket pc and share ideas, remember that manufacturers always read the consumers opinions from principal web pages like this

OSUKid7
07-04-2004, 06:28 PM
eh...wow, think that was 2 sentences. :lol: Anyway, that's nearly impossible now...gonna be many years before we see anything close to that.

Verdagon
07-05-2004, 01:25 AM
mmmmmm.... I disagree with you there... PPC is much harder to use and the settings are impossible. Palm's settings system is all one big program, easy to use. Pocket PC settings are like a huge network. With PPC settings like Wifi or hardware accessories, there's always these steps:

1) Try to set it up, it doesnt work.
2) Read the manual, impossible to understand.
3) Get frustrated, smash the thing to bits
4) Blame the smashed PDA on the place who sold it to you, and get a replacement.
5) Get the new PPC, try to set it up again.
6) It doesn't work, so you go onto the forums
7) The great people on the forums help, and it works! It turns out there was an extra thousand settings you needed to configure.

With palms though, there's less steps:

1) Try to set it up, it doesnt work.
2) Get frustrated, THINK about smashing the palm to bits, but you love palms so much that you wouldnt dare hurt it.
3) It doesn't work, so you go onto the forums
4) The great people on the forums help, and it works! It turns out the "on" switch on the accessory was turned to "off". LOL. what stupid people we are.

LOL we all know I'm kidding. None of this is true. I just like palms.

ANYWAY, that super device you were talking about sounds cool. What would the specs of it be?

SteveHoward999
07-05-2004, 02:53 AM
We are not too far away.

Take a look here

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28187&highlight=xp

Steve

Pony99CA
07-05-2004, 02:57 AM
eh...wow, think that was 2 sentences. :lol:
There were periods? :-D

Anyway, that's nearly impossible now...gonna be many years before we see anything close to that.
Definitely. A projector? A 200 GB drive? A 3.6 GHz processor? It sounds like somebody was partying a bit too much over the weekend. :rotfl:

Steve

Alsicole
07-05-2004, 11:00 PM
So if Palm is low level and Pocket PC high and I own both, does that make me somewhere in between? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pony99CA
07-06-2004, 01:56 AM
So if Palm is low level and Pocket PC high and I own both, does that make me somewhere in between? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, it makes you schizophrenic. :rotfl:

Steve

Vidge
07-06-2004, 05:09 AM

Steve

Them make that two of us :lol:

CrashX
07-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Remember, you're never alone when you're a schizophrenic. :mrgreen:

motocrash
07-16-2004, 12:30 AM
I would think this would better apply to multiple personality disorder (or dissociative identity disorder) then schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is simply a split from reality, but they are still one personality.

Not to pick nits, but the voices in my head tell me to do it.

:D

Pony99CA
07-24-2004, 10:34 PM
I would think this would better apply to multiple personality disorder (or dissociative identity disorder) then schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is simply a split from reality, but they are still one personality.

Not to pick nits, but the voices in my head tell me to do it.
That's a good nit to pick, though. You're right -- I mispoke by using schizophrenia instead of MPD. However, most people seem to equate the two, and I still seem to misuse schizophrenia occasionally.

I suppose I could rationalize that having a Palm is a break with reality, but I don't really have anything against Palms. :-D

Steve

mboonyap
07-26-2004, 11:29 AM
My toshiba' e800 is a joke...switching apps makes this thing lag with that little rotating wheel icon...it almost switches apps as fast as the Tungsten W and its 33Mhz processor....that's almost laugable...this thing's going on ebay!
Oh wait a sec..it loaded half a sceen of mobipocket..then hung...while the Tungsten W (not even my T3) mnaged to switch from isilo to mobipocket.
why is that? what good is multitasking if it wither crashes the ppc or hangs it?
wifi..oh yeah...i have a computer at home and a treo 600 with a very capable browser for that. Don't think i've seen wifi antennas on the EL train in chicago quite yet...

mboonyap
Tungsten T3 rules

Janak Parekh
07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
My toshiba' e800 is a joke...switching apps makes this thing lag with that little rotating wheel icon...it almost switches apps as fast as the Tungsten W and its 33Mhz processor....that's almost laugable...this thing's going on ebay!
I don't know what you're running on your e800, but my e805 switches applications near-instantaneously. And no crashes either.

--janak

mboonyap
07-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Hmmm...I was trying to figure out why my e800 was lagging so much, then i decided to uninstall "Battery pack" and all of a sudden my PPC has redeemed itself. I'm not sure, but is the fact that I had the program refresh every 1 sec possbly related?

Pony99CA
07-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Hmmm...I was trying to figure out why my e800 was lagging so much, then i decided to uninstall "Battery pack" and all of a sudden my PPC has redeemed itself. I'm not sure, but is the fact that I had the program refresh every 1 sec possbly related?
Ummm, YES! Do you really need to-the-second battery or memory status?

Steve

tanalasta
07-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm fairly sure you an change the refresh rate for Batterypack off the top of my head. I install batterypack for the task manager and the program bar and occasionally have a glance at my memory usage :P

As for what I don't like about PPC's - poor battery life, random hard-resets and the fact it is a pain to twiddle with settings in Activesync, Outlook, Connections.

But it looks a lot more familiar than Palm with the Windows OS/programs and I haven't bothered learning Grafitti as well as i should yet. Does anybody know how the character recognition is on the Palm at the moment?

Tungsten T3 rules

For some reason, all my colleagues are purchasing these left/right and centre. I even found myself agreeing to chip in to buy one for a friend's birthday prezzie :oops: So there must be something going on for them... they appear to be horrendously popular among students/junior medical staff for some reason...

Almost tempted to buy one myself and see what the hype is all about 0X

Janak Parekh
07-27-2004, 04:02 PM
As for what I don't like about PPC's - poor battery life
Mine (with an extended battery) gives quite a few hours of life;

random hard-resets
I never have these -- would suggest it's a hardware or subtle software interaction problem;

and the fact it is a pain to twiddle with settings in Activesync, Outlook, Connections.
No debate there. ;)

Tungsten T3 rules
For some reason, all my colleagues are purchasing these left/right and centre.
Weird! Not here. I don't see many T3s at all. If people go for Palms, they go for the Zires, mostly. Incidentally, you know that the T3 has very mediocre battery life, right?

they appear to be horrendously popular among students/junior medical staff for some reason...
Ah, that would explain things. There's a ton of medical software for Palms. Pocket PCs are catching up but are still somewhat behind.

--janak

Maced
08-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Actually I had a Tungsten E a while back, and I never really seemed to get much battery life out of it... Seemed like 3-4 hours of mp3 mixed with some full use at school (I haven't had a chance to use my PPC yet - Just ordered a Dell Axim ... but my Palm was crap, I could hardly listen to an mp3 without it bogging down a game or writing of a paper in word.. I am hoping that this new dell will be better :))

BTS
08-10-2004, 05:05 PM
I own both platforms and use them daily. Oddly, I have found it more difficult to switch back to Palm after using the PPC. Palm's use of memory, without a third party addon, is definitely not as intuitive as PPC.

That being said, however, I can't say that I really dislike either machine. They both bring their strengths to the table.

collegea
08-14-2004, 02:17 PM
I've owned an HPIPAQ 4155 for 6 months now. I like it. What I like most about it is the wifi signal strength. It is a real beautiful looking handheld too.

But I'm a Palm Boy. I love the simplicity and intuitiveness of the Palm OS. Windows mobile premium is inferior to Palm OS in that respect. The quicker I can get to my task at hand, the more I like my handheld.

Please don't tell me that Pocket PC is more functional than Palm OS because that is not true anymore except for connecting via wifi.

My Palm Zire 72, with a slightly slower chip destroys my Ipaq 4155 when it comes to connecting to the Internet via Bluetooth on my SE T610 phone, using T-Mobile's unlimited VPN Internet service.

I consider Datebook 5 and the native Palm Contact Program to be superior to Pocket Informant. Pocket Informant is a bloated program that is so complicated to use. Any handheld program that requires such a steep learning curve is almost useless to me. It took me months to learn how to really use Pocket Informant. It took me minutes to learn how to use Datebook 5, Supernames, and the native Palm Calendar and Contact Programs.

Moreover, Pocket Tunes is a tremendous Music Player for the Palm OS. It destroys the Windows Media Media Player or Pocket Music or Pocket Mind in terms of performance.

The only thing that is keeping me with Pocket PC is the Wifi. Once Palm gets its act together there or I can get a good SD card for my Palm Zire 72, my Ipaq 4155 is history.

100thMonkey
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
anybody have any good replacement apps for Palm's HandyShopper?

Steven Cedrone
08-15-2004, 02:25 PM
anybody have any good replacement apps for Palm's HandyShopper?

I use VO ShoppingList (http://www.voscorp.com/products/shoppinglist/winmobile/)

Steve

100thMonkey
08-15-2004, 05:15 PM
nice, does it have a one-handed mode, or do you have to use the stylus to mark off items?

gilbertfan
08-29-2004, 11:28 AM
in my opinion ,i perfer ppc to palm ,as easy to use :twisted:

ipaq_wannabe
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
My Palm Zire 72, with a slightly slower chip destroys my Ipaq 4155 when it comes to connecting to the Internet

yes... it takes my WiFi-equipped Clie 5 seconds to connect to a public access point ( even in the midst of NUMEROUS APs )... while it takes my Loox 610 BT/WLAN about a "turn-off WiFi," then a "soft-reset," then a "turn-on WiFi" to connect... and this usually takes around 5 minutes - waiting for the PPC to pick-up the signal, and find the right profile for it...

ipaq_wannabe
10-26-2004, 09:18 AM
unfortunately with Sony withdrawing from the US market, and with PalmOne releasing a lackluster and mediocre handheld... ALL WAS LOST!!!

bye bye Palm...

applejosh
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
It's always fun to get into these "holy wars" over which platform is best.

I personally have devices in both camps. (I guess I have MPD.) I love both my main devices (T3 for POS and iPAQ 3955 w/ CF sleeve & batt). I can't pick a device to be "the one." The T3 is easy to use, the screen is super sensitive (I don't have to carve out the graffiti letters), it has DateBk5 (still better than PI), and I have tons of software collected through the years. The iPAQ has wi-fi, the today screen (Pocket Breeze rocks), and better multipedia capabilities (mmplayer on Palm never worked well for me). Each has their strengths. I find it's easier to get to a program and enter information on a Palm than it is on a PPC, but the PPC's today screen makes it easier to see what information I'm looking for with out having to open up an app. So, I'm torn. I look into upgrading the iPAQ (probably with a Dell something since they're generally inexpensive) to see if that might tilt the scales in that direction, but who knows. One thing's for sure in my mind, PalmOne better put out better devices for the power user, or they're going to lose the high end of their base. The T5 is not getting very much (any?) good press from anyone, and even some developers are expressing their frustration/disappointment with PalmOne and the direction they're headed. With Sony seemingly out of the market, PalmOne doesn't have much in the way of competition within the POS ranks, and I fear they're either going to dump the standalone devices (in favor of Treo-like products) or end up losing everything because of people jumping ship. When the developers stop making new programs or improvements to their old programs because PalmOne won't share device specific info with them, they're only going ot have themselves to blame. They need to innovate and come out with something new (at least a device with integrated wi-fi for crying out loud - not make me buy an add-on card that I can only get through them and priced higher than a similar competitive card which won't work because they don't want to share code), and giving more info to the devlopers would be a wise thing, too. Just my 2c worth. </rant>

ipaq_wannabe
11-09-2004, 10:28 AM
amen to that... even after years of going from one handheld to another, i still havent found The One...

:(

jonathanchoo
11-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Actually there are alot of settings on PalmOS that power users can learn to use and alot of third party apps provide hacking utility to satisfy any geeky lust. zLauncher for example, is the best launcher ever on any platforms with so much power in it that it probably deserves to be licensed as a separate GUI for other platforms.

Its a bit mad to say that PalmOS users are 'low' and PPC users are intelligent because they go the extra mile to learn how to operate the device. It proves that PalmOS = easy, PPC = complicated

However seeing the situation in palminfocenter where every little faults are whined about is quite depressing of late.

On PPC, a developer will usually come in discuss the problems with users and try to come up with a solution but on most PalmOS community its just whine whine whine... until palmOne has to come out and give out free 128Mb cards.

Its like giving a toy to a toddler to shut them. I can't fault them since many PalmOS power users act like babies. They demanded higher processing power, when it came they complained about the battery life. Palm tried to improve the battery like by releasing a ROM based PDA, and they complain. You just can't win with some of these people.

applejosh
11-26-2004, 04:49 PM
On PPC, a developer will usually come in discuss the problems with users and try to come up with a solution but on most PalmOS community its just whine whine whine... until palmOne has to come out and give out free 128Mb cards.

Its like giving a toy to a toddler to shut them. I can't fault them since many PalmOS power users act like babies. They demanded higher processing power, when it came they complained about the battery life. Palm tried to improve the battery like by releasing a ROM based PDA, and they complain. You just can't win with some of these people.

I disagree. First, the main reason developers and users are "whining" is because PalmOne is modifying the OS and not releasing API's. That makes it tough to develop third party apps, which is what power users want. Second, the battery issue could have easily been fixed by getting rid of the slider (which they did) alone. The ROM based OS (which was put out my PalmOne and not Palmsource if I heard correctly) would be nice if it wasn't a hastily put together pacthwork of bad design. I could care less about a ROM based OS if the kludges to make it work result in an incompatible device. I think that most people would have been happy with a sliderless T3 (maybe a bit thicker for increased battery life) and wifi. No need really to upgrade the memory since in general Palm apps are quite small. One of the hallmarks of the Palm platform has been its backwards compatibility. Even the upgrade to OS5 wasn't very traumatic (mainly because most of the code is run in an emulator). With this new device, lots of third party apps are having issues, including ridiculous startup/end times as a result of having to copy the files out of flash to RAM using a rather antiquated process (VFS). But why they still continue to put out "flagship" devices without wifi is beyond me.