View Full Version : lighting on TomTom3

adam j
07-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi, please please help me. I have the TomTom3 on a HP Pocket PC. When i use it while in my vehicle it all works fine but the screen lights up for only 30 seconds and then the screen goes dark which makes it very difficult to see whilst driving. I know I could just listen to the directions but as I have paid for something I want it working properly.

Can anyone help?

I purchased from Total PDA and I can say that they are possibly the worst company I have ever encountered in my life. A very long story as to why I have come to this bold conclusion but i thought you people on here will know more than they do.

Many thanks for your time and help

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I have the TomTom3 on a HP Pocket PC. When i use it while in my vehicle it all works fine but the screen lights up for only 30 seconds and then the screen goes dark which makes it very difficult to see whilst driving. I know I could just listen to the directions but as I have paid for something I want it working properly.
It probably is working properly, but you don't have your Pocket PC configured correctly. :-)

First, is your Pocket PC connected to a power source while using it? If not, you'll want to adjust your backlight to stay on longer than the default, which might be 30 seconds. Here's how:

Open the Start menu.
Tap Settings.
Tap the System tab.
Tap the Backlight settings applet.
Change the Turn off backlight if device is not used for setting to something more appropriate. You can uncheck it and the backlight will always stay on, but that will drain your battery a lot faster.

If your Pocket PC is connected to a power source, ensure that the backlight doesn't turn off when it is. Here's how:

Open the Start menu.
Tap Settings.
Tap the System tab.
Tap the Backlight settings applet.
Tap the External Power tab.
Uncheck the Turn off backlight if device is not used for setting.

Steve

adam j
07-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Steve,

I thought it must be something simple. It is plugged into the cig lighter when its in use. I have followed your instructions and will give it a go tommorow morning.

Many thanks, very much appreciated

benzf1
07-04-2004, 10:43 AM
i notcied a file called traffic in my tomtom3 folder. Does tomtom3 have traffic updates?