View Full Version : WiFi Connection Trouble

dmacburry2003
07-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Ever since I got a new WiFi card for my laptop, I have been having problems connecting to my WiFi router from my PPC (via SanDisk Connect WiFi SD card).

Possible interference issue?

It would always, always connect before. I would plug it in and it would be connected.

Now, it barely ever even recognizes the router. 3% out of the times I try to connect it will find it. I have been through about 12 hard resets with both the PPC and the router trying to solve this. (I upgraded the firmware to the router, but it didn't cause trouble. I upgraded it quite a bit before the trouble started.)

If I remove the card from my laptop, it doesnt really help much, but the first time I plugged the card in was when I started having problems.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks.

PS: using an h1935 with the BEFW11S4 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544) router.

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Ever since I got a new WiFi card for my laptop, I have been having problems connecting to my WiFi router from my PPC (via SanDisk Connect WiFi SD card).

Possible interference issue?

[...]

If I remove the card from my laptop, it doesnt really help much, but the first time I plugged the card in was when I started having problems.

I've never heard of anything like this, but I can't see how it could be interference if you still have the problem when the card is removed from the laptop.

Could you have damaged your SD WiFi card or the SD slot? That would certainly explain things. To isolate it, try the following:

Try an SD memory card in the iPAQ. If that doesn't work, the SD slot is probably bad.

If that does work, try using the SD WiFi card to connect to another access point. If that doesn't work, the card is bad.

Steve

dmacburry2003
07-03-2004, 09:27 AM
SD cards work in the PPC

It can find other access points--it did after I couldn't connect to my own. It can also scan the area, or it reports that it does.

I'm thinking that it may not be the card that is broken but possibly might be an error/malfunction with the router.

I was going to get a new router if the trouble continues, to see if it would help, but I was hoping to try and solve my problem here first.

Thanks for you help! :D

PS: I hope the card isn't damaged, I have taken very very good care of it and it has always worked before :(

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 10:26 AM
SD cards work in the PPC

It can find other access points--it did after I couldn't connect to my own. It can also scan the area, or it reports that it does.

I'm thinking that it may not be the card that is broken but possibly might be an error/malfunction with the router.
It sounds like the card is working and iPAQ's SD slot is, too. If the WiFi card isn't seeing your router, do you have them configured properly?

Set all options on the router and iPAQ back to basics (SSID on, WEP off, MAC filtering off, etc.) and see if things work.

Steve

dmacburry2003
07-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, I have done that many times before :cry:

For example, I would unplug the laptop and shut it off completely (disabling the WiFi PC card), then I would hard reset the router (by holding the reset button for thirty seconds), and then I would hard reset the PPC, and finally I would attempt to connect. (without touching the router settings)

No avail.

Like I said, I did this more than ten times already :(

BTW I should be getting the new Dell Axim X30 (cheap and powerful :D ) with built in WiFi very soon, so if I can connect with that then my WiFi card is probably busted. If not, then the router is probably busted. I'll have to wait and see when I try that out.

Thanks again for the help 8)

batuckan1
07-20-2004, 03:42 AM
my suggestion is to run static ip's on all wifi devices, enable mac address and ip filtering and allow only the specified ips.

mike