View Full Version : Memory Card data transfer

shermanf
07-02-2004, 10:17 PM
does anybody know how I can transfer files from my computer directly to the memory card of my pocket pc? I remember the Sony Clie's can do something like this; transfering files directly from the computer into the memory stick via the handheld device. Anybody know any software I could use?

ajnemasis
07-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Use Explore in M$ ActiveSync and find the storage card there.

If you need to sync info on the storage card you can use MightySync.

Steven Cedrone
07-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Yes, you can use ActiveSync to do this. Another option would be to get a card reader and use it to copy the data - it would be alot faster! Do you have alot of data to move???

Steve

Sven Johannsen
07-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Use Explore in M$ ActiveSync and find the storage card there.

It's not completely obvious, but when you open Explore in ActiveSync, you then have to double click the My Pocket PC icon to get to the Storage Card(s), and other things outside of My Documents.

This does require ActiveSync on the machine though, it is not like some Clies which have a feature that you could use the device almost like a USB drive on any desktop. I think that required some software to be loaded on the Clie. Nothing similar exists for the PPC to my knowledge.

Vidge
07-03-2004, 03:12 AM
I have to admit to being a complete newbie but I just opened Explorer on my desktop (with my hp4155 in the cradle) and my device showed up there (under My Computer). I then double clicked on it and the card showed up. I made a new directory, copied the files in and it all worked. (Now if I could get it to work without being in the cradle, that would be awesome!)

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 05:36 AM
I have to admit to being a complete newbie but I just opened Explorer on my desktop (with my hp4155 in the cradle) and my device showed up there (under My Computer). I then double clicked on it and the card showed up. I made a new directory, copied the files in and it all worked. (Now if I could get it to work without being in the cradle, that would be awesome!)
You should be able to copy files using WiFi if you have it. You can use File Explorer on the Pocket PC to map the drive you want to copy files from. Tap the sharing icon (the rightmost one on the tool bar).

Steve

Kowalski
07-03-2004, 05:35 PM
i recommend you to buy a card reader.
this happened only once but my SD card had a problem which i couldnt solve withouth the aid of card reader. there was a file with zero size and i couldnt delete it.
be aware that when you are transfering files between computer and ppc, Active stink makes some changes on files with certain extensions.
if you dont want any changes in your files you should change some of the options of active stink

Vidge
07-04-2004, 05:11 AM
You should be able to copy files using WiFi if you have it. You can use File Explorer on the Pocket PC to map the drive you want to copy files from. Tap the sharing icon (the rightmost one on the tool bar).

Steve

This I haven't been able to accomplish :( I do have Wifi and I can AS over it but I can't see my computer from File Explorer on the PDA. What am I doing wrong?

Pony99CA
07-04-2004, 07:50 AM
This I haven't been able to accomplish :( I do have Wifi and I can AS over it but I can't see my computer from File Explorer on the PDA. What am I doing wrong?
Did you enter the network share name in the dialog you get when you clicked the Network Share button that I mentioned previously?

Steve

shermanf
07-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys i didnt know u can use explorer to view memory card contents. I actually do have large files to move (movie, mp3's etc.). if i can do this without the use of an external card reader that would be great; saves the hastle of juggling more hardware. i noticed that even when i transfer things between the internal memory of my device and a memory card it still takes a while. I expect the same to happen when transfering files from a pc to a memory card via the handheld? if so any way to speed up the process?
Btw thanks all for the quick replies really apprecieate it :)

Pony99CA
07-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys i didnt know u can use explorer to view memory card contents. I actually do have large files to move (movie, mp3's etc.). if i can do this without the use of an external card reader that would be great; saves the hastle of juggling more hardware. i noticed that even when i transfer things between the internal memory of my device and a memory card it still takes a while. I expect the same to happen when transfering files from a pc to a memory card via the handheld? if so any way to speed up the process?
Expect it to take longer; ActiveSync is pretty slow to transfer files. That's why we recommend a card reader.

To speed the process up, maybe you could zip the files. If you get good compression, send them to the Pocket PC like that. Of course, you'll need a program to unzip them on the Pocket PC.

Steve