View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

doughboy
07-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Can one of you X30 owners please advise me the amount of ROM the WM2003SE OS actually takes up in your device? Is any of the ROM set aside for file storage that would survive a hard reset? If so, how much of it is carved out?

Although HP's ROM build for my iPAQ may be a slightly different size, I am trying to determine whether it will be worth the sacrifice when my 2210 only has 32MB ROM. I knew the beta versions were about 64MB but had not heard whether the non-beta version was smaller.

Thanks for the info.

Sven Johannsen
07-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Well, working backwards on my X-30 which is supposed to have 64M of ROM, I have 30.88M of Built in Storage. That implies the OS and ROM resident stuff is taking 33.12M.

Doesn't look good for a 32M ROM machine, though HP doesn't have to include everything Dell did. I have a 2210 too, and it only has about 2.8M of iPaq File Store now IIRC. Don't figure you or I will be getting any more, and may loose some of that, when the upgrade comes out.

I remember when the Compaq iPAQ upgrade from 2000 to 2002 came out, there were some apps that had to be relegated to RAM installs if you wanted them, because the OS took more space. Might happen again.

Pony99CA
07-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Well, working backwards on my X-30 which is supposed to have 64M of ROM, I have 30.88M of Built in Storage. That implies the OS and ROM resident stuff is taking 33.12M.

Doesn't look good for a 32M ROM machine, though HP doesn't have to include everything Dell did. I have a 2210 too, and it only has about 2.8M of iPaq File Store now IIRC. Don't figure you or I will be getting any more, and may loose some of that, when the upgrade comes out.

I remember when the Compaq iPAQ upgrade from 2000 to 2002 came out, there were some apps that had to be relegated to RAM installs if you wanted them, because the OS took more space. Might happen again.
Microsoft had the Pocket PC 2002 Professional Edition for devices without enough ROM. Several applications weren't available (at first -- Microsoft later made them available for download) and some came on CD. The Pocket PC 2002 Premium Edition was for devices with more ROM, and only came in new devices.

There also seem to be Professional and Premium versions of Windows Mobile 2003. The iPAQ 1935 and 1945 apparently came with the Professional Version.

NOTE: HP seems to contradict itself about this. The main iPAQ 1945 Web page (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?category=handhelds&subcat1=handhelds&catLevel=3&product_code=FA163A%238ZP) claims the 1945 comes with Premium, while the Specs page (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?landing=null&category=handhelds&subcat1=handhelds&catLevel=3&product_code=FA163A%238ZP&tab=detailed_specs#defaultAnchor) says it has Professional. A PDA Buyer's Guide review (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ipaq_1940.htm) says it has Professional.

There's no reason to believe that this couldn't be done for WM 2K3 SE.

Steve

Kowalski
07-03-2004, 06:16 PM
the OS uses more space in x30 then 2215. but dell has more free space in ram. i bealive that this is the reason. because since dell has strata flash ROM all the OS is executed directly from the ROM, but hp copies 6-7 megs of OS to the ram to execute. the copied parts should be compressed to save some rom space in HPs.

doughboy
07-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks Sven and Kowalski!

If the WM2003SE OS on the iPAQ only takes up 33 - 40 MB, I will be thrilled! I am certainly willing to sacrifice that much of my ROM + RAM to get built-in, seemless screen rotation for Excel and PIE. If it took 64 MB, I would really need to consider whether it was worth it.

Now, I just need HP to offer a free upgrade to 2004 iPAQ 2210 purchasers in the next 30 - 45 days.

Sven Johannsen
07-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Now, I just need HP to offer a free upgrade to 2004 iPAQ 2210 purchasers in the next 30 - 45 days.

Should have been a :lol: behind that. I think 30-45 days is a bit optimistic. I don't see it happening before HPs that come with 2003SE are out. Could be wrong though.