View Full Version : Complete PDA Newbie Help !

neodjandre
07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Hello ppl,

I am kinda a complete newb as far as PDAs are concerned although I have been working with pcs and macs for 8 years now.

The only thing I know is that there exist at least two operating systems, palm os and windows mobile (for pocket pcs). Moreover, I believe that I would be going for a pocket pc because of microsoft support and greater software availability.

My motive behind purchasing a PDA is that I will become a graduate worker this September and I believe that organising with a PDA may have more benefits than just carrying a diary around.

One model I've quite liked is the HP ipaq 4150 since it has wireless capabilities which is quite important for me. It's price is a bit hefty even though I'll be getting this off ebay and I am quite certain that I will have to spend a few more £££ in accessories..
One thing I don't understand is that in the model specifications there is no mentioning of hard drive space. There must be some kind of memory expansion slots but still I haven't obtained the full picture yet..

i would appreciate any specific comments/websites that would help a newbie like me or possibly PDA recommendations other than the HP one.

I am also highly interested in mp3 capabilities of my PDA as my budget doesn't allow to purchase both an Apple Ipod and an HP Ipaq !

GoldKey
07-02-2004, 02:49 PM
PPCs don't have hard drives (yet). You use memory cards for that function. The basic OS is loaded to built in memory and there is a little built in memory for stuff.

Also, just want to make sure you are aware that you can only use software for the PPC, ie your desktop applications won't work on this.

Finally, if all you need is a basic organizer, a PPC is overkill. If you just want an address book and calander, get something cheap like a Zire.

neodjandre
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
yes, I am aware that I can't use pc software with pocketpc.

I was thinking of going straight to sth which has a long life time span and will serve me for many years. If I start with sth that fulfills my needs for today but not the future then it's almost certain I am losing money.

thanx for the clarification on memory cards. Are those standard ones for every pda ? what's their capacity ?

c38b2
07-02-2004, 06:00 PM
There are two types of memory cards, SD and CF. SD is being phased in, CF phased out. SD comes in capacities up to 1 or 2 GB. The capacity limit for CF is the limit of your wallet. :lol:

neodjandre
07-02-2004, 07:19 PM
thanx c38b2, that was a really helpful clarification

so any happy HP ipaq 4150 users around ? any other recommendations ?

As I said I am looking for sth advance with features that I do not have to necessary use today. I know myself that I will soon become an addict and ask for more ! in fact I've already spotted a nice software called calligrapher for my future pocketpc .. lol

What I want
--------------
1. wi-fi , bluetooth
2. fast processor
3. upgradability
4. lots of software
5. nice and compact design
6. microsoft support (otherwise Bill will get angry and I will run into compatibility problems I speculate)

what i DO NOT want
----------------------
1. Build-in Camera
2. Bulky design
3. Build-in keyboard (I think i will be better off if i buy one of those folding keyboard. In addition software can make the use of pen really easy and ergonomic according to my perception)

Kowalski
07-02-2004, 10:12 PM
what you want is a dell x30 600 mHz. it has all the specs you asked for except one thing, lots of software, which you can find easily.
compare the specs with 4150, you'll see that even on the paper, dell is better than hp

neodjandre
07-03-2004, 01:42 AM
ha ! this x30 dell sounds cheaper and faster than the ipaq 4150 .. what's the catch ?

Vidge
07-03-2004, 03:06 AM
ha ! this x30 dell sounds cheaper and faster than the ipaq 4150 .. what's the catch ?
Uh - it's a Dell? :D

Seriously - if you can get a good X30 (624 mhz) it's a great deal. I couldn't, though. So I gave up and bought an HP4155.

mattp
07-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Another thing mentioned in the original post was the ability to play mp3 files.

All the pocket pcs mentioned above will serve this purpose well. In fact, it's a breeze for me to transfer files from Napster 2.0 to my desktop windows media player. Then from desktop windows media player to my ppc windows media player. Additionally ppc windows media player will play mp3s.

You will need a cf or sd card as mentioned above as most songs are in the 2.5 to 4 megabyte range per file.

In short, no ipod necessary!

If you really want to get into it, there are lots of people here that will tell you how to encode files into different formats (I see ogg files frequently) that might offer smaller file sizes and/or better sound quality.

Brad Adrian
07-03-2004, 04:42 AM
I've been using my 4100 for several months now and, from among my 10+ devices, it has become my favorite, everyday device.

I've not had any trouble getting the Bluetooth and WiFi to connect, and the compact size is simply amazing. The ONLY thing that I don't like is that if you view the screen at an angle, the colors shift markedly toward a yellowish cast. Viewing it straight-on looks great, and I've stopped noticing the yellow cast altogether.

Still, I'm certain that this will be my favorite for some time to come. If you've got any specific questions, please feel free to ask. :)

ladyvols
07-05-2004, 05:35 PM
You may also want to consider the new line of HP Ipaq models to be released soon.

juni
07-05-2004, 05:52 PM
We are all waiting impatiently for the upcoming HP models - which will have one big feature over earlier models: VGA screens.

As for storage, I have a 1 gig IBM microdrive (cf type II) to store movies and mp3s, oggs, wmas on.

There are several good music players to choose from and a couple of good movieplayers. Of course, the pocket pc comes with Pocket Windows Media Player which can play content from webpages (such as news and other fun stuff) - although you might want wifi for this feature. Many of the music players also support streaming from your pc.

I notice that people are quick to recommend Zires and Palms to newbies (perhaps so we won't have to answer so many newbie questions when someone buys a Pocket PC on our recommendation ;) ) but I think you get a lot more for your money if you buy a Windows Mobile device - the usability out of the box is great :).

Oh, and don't forget to theme and skin your new device ;).