View Full Version : Bluetooth Internet and Networking

Burnthings176
07-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok, my Hardware:Viewsonic V36 PPC using a Socket SDIO bluetooth Card
Dell PC Using a Belkin Bluetooth USB dongle (dongle is a funny word)
Internet:SBC Yahoo, connects via Network to one other computer that carries the modem

ok, so right now, i use Activesync to access the internet, but because it uses up soo much of the bandwidth, i will sometimes loose a connection due to the larger sites. Id also like to transfer files, but this is practicly im possible via bluetooth, because the items can be no bigger than roughly 2mb, and a good mp3 is MUCH bigger than that. So im pretty sure that id have to network my Pocket PC and PC, but i have noo idea how to. Im very close to calling Geeks on Call, but before spending my money, would like to seek the kindness of strangers.
So if you read this and find that I do need to network, can you please tell me how, or if im just a complete dumbass and have no idea what im talking bout, tell me that too, and what I do need to do to solve my problems. thx

PS. I know i shoulda gone with wifi, but its too late and im outta money for stuff like that

freitasm
07-02-2004, 12:10 AM
It will depend on what Bluetooth stack is on the Viwesonic. If it supports LAP or PAN, then you should be able to create an ICS connection (LAP) or Bridge your connection (PAN). Also, Bridge is only available on Windows XP.

Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides for some instructions on this.

Burnthings176
07-02-2004, 04:46 PM
On the Viewsonic, it gives me the option to connect via Activesync or LAN. When i view the services of my PC from my Pocket PC, it gives serial port, Dial up networking, Sync Command Services, PIM sync, PIM item transfer,File transfer and Fax, but on my PC it says it can do all these plus an Audio gateway, Headset, and Network Access. Why arent these consistant? does this provide any more help?

freitasm
07-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Each device offers a different set of services. Your desktop knows how to offers Audio Gateway, but not the Viewsonic. There's no reason to. On the other hand, if you have a Bluetooth mobile phone that one will know how to handle Audio Gateway.

Each device will have the set of profiles (services) appropriate - although sometimes manufacturers should add more, in special to the Pocket PC ones.

I never managed to have a Viewsonic for a test, so I can't help more :(